2.4.10 3 circles one intersection

In summary, the equations (x+4)^2+(y+11)^2=169, (x-9)^2+(y+5)^2=100, and (x-4)^2+(y-5)^2=25 represent three intersecting circles. By setting the equations equal to each other, it is possible to find the equation of the line passing through the intersection points. This line can be used to find the intersection point of the circles, which is (1,1). This method can also be used to find the equation of a chord joining the intersecting points. The point of intersection of three circles can be found using basic algebra, rather than a limit procedure.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{\textbf{2.4.10}}$
$\begin{array}{rl}
(x+4)^2+(y+11)^2&=169 \\
(x-9)^2+(y+5)^2&=100 \\
(x-4)^2+(y-5)^2&=25
\end{array}$

ok i solved this by a lot of steps and got (1,1) as the intersection of all 3 circles
these has got to be other options to this.
basically I expanded the equations then set them equal to each other but what a mess:unsure:

suggestions?
I was thinking about a matrix but not sure how to set it up

[DESMOS]{"version":7,"graph":{"viewport":{"xmin":-10,"ymin":-11.610693119544644,"xmax":10,"ymax":11.610693119544644}},"randomSeed":"ae14e0f6a73aec6ad68af003f395e465","expressions":{"list":[{"type":"expression","id":"1","color":"#c74440","latex":"(x+4)^{2}+(y+11)^{2}=169"},{"type":"expression","id":"2","color":"#2d70b3","latex":"(x-9)^{2}+(y+5)^{2}=100"},{"type":"expression","id":"3","color":"#388c46","latex":"(x-4)^{2}+(y-5)^{2}=25"},{"type":"expression","id":"4","color":"#6042a6","latex":"\\left(1,1\\right)","showLabel":true}]}}[/DESMOS]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can use this concept from the family of circles that $S_1 =0$ and $S_2 =0$ are two given circles intersecting each other then $S_1 - S_2 =0$ gives the equation of the line passing through those points.
For this question find any two lines using this and find their intersection point which will be your answer (here all the lines will be tangents)

There is a correction in my above statement I did not look at the figure carefully and typed about how to find the radical centre and equation of tangent which is wrong because one of the two circles are intersecting so... The correct one is --->>

Solving $S_1 - S_2=0 $ will give the equation of chord joining the intersecting points... Find any two such chords then you have two equations and two unknowns (x,y).

just curious could the point of intersection of 3 circles be a limit

we are basically solving by deduction

what do you mean by limit?

basically are we not approaching a point?

I don't think so... We use limits when it is difficult to approach but here it is very easy to locate that point.

so basic algebra is the only way it can be done 😕

karush said:
so basic algebra is the only way it can be done 😕
I see the limit procedure as more of a numerical approach. We can, of course, try to solve it numerically. The algebraic solution is much better to my mind.

-Dan

1. What is the significance of 2.4.10 in the context of 3 circles with one intersection?

The numbers 2.4.10 refer to the specific problem or scenario being discussed in relation to the three circles with one intersection. It could be a mathematical problem, a scientific experiment, or a real-world situation.

2. How do you find the intersection point of three circles?

To find the intersection point of three circles, you can use a variety of methods such as graphing, algebraic equations, or geometric constructions. The specific method used will depend on the given information and the problem at hand.

3. Can there be more than one intersection point for three circles?

Yes, it is possible for three circles to have more than one intersection point. This can happen when the circles are arranged in a specific way, such as overlapping or tangent to each other at multiple points.

4. What does the intersection point of three circles represent?

The intersection point of three circles represents the common point where all three circles intersect. This point can have different meanings depending on the context, such as the solution to a problem or the location of an object.

5. Is there a real-life application for the concept of three circles with one intersection?

Yes, the concept of three circles with one intersection has many real-life applications, such as in navigation and surveying, where it can be used to determine the location of a point or object. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering, such as in the study of planetary orbits and the design of trusses and bridges.