How Do Magnetic Field Lines Form Between Two Pairs of Magnetic Dipoles?

In summary, the distance between opposite magnets in a pair is smaller than the distance between the same opposite magnets between the pairs, so most of the field strength is between the pair.
Mr.Bomzh
Hi , I am interested to know how would the magnetic field lines be formed and what effect each one of them would have to the one next to the other in such a configuration. I have two pairs of magnets.

Distance between each magnet in a pair , numbered 2, is 2 mm. the distance between the two pairs of magnets , numbered 1 is 1cm.

In one pair the magnets stand NS in the other they are opposite SN, this is not a homework I was just interested what happens in such a configuration , if the distance between opposite magnets in a pair is smaller than that of the same opposite magnets between the pairs do most strength of field goes between the pair or is it shared also with the side pair even though it is further? I hope you understand my question , thank you :)

Attachments

• mag.png
    mag.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand that diagram correctly, you mean that the poles are on the large faces of the slabs - which are supposed to represent permanent magnets.

The front pair are oriented with S (left) and N (right) poles facing the front.
I cannot tell what the orientation of the back pair is supposed to be from the diagram.
From your description, the back pair are N (left) and S (right) poles facing front.

If you draw the situation from overhead, you should be able to sketch in the field line following the usual rules.
If all magnets are equal strength, then don't expect flux from back left N pole to attach the front right S pole.

Relative separations would be important but I cannot see any magnet dimensions.
For complicated configurations of magnets, I'd usually want to go to the vector potential.
You can always just add the fields due to four dipoles?

The effect, when released, is that the magnets will rotate and come together in a heap.

Hi Simon , well , I edited the picture for better understanding , the magnet pairs are the ones colored with similar color dots on their sides.the so called poles are the inner faces of the magnet slabs. the ones who face each other.

Now the magnet slabs are not loose they are attached to a armature so to speak of.the distance number 2. is smaller than the distance number 1. also the distance number 1. is the distance between the two pairs of magnets not distance number 2.

Especially if the magnetized parts are the ones facing each other in the pairs , I think the main field lines would be between each opf the two slabs in a pair right?

Attachments

• mag.png
    mag.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 461
Please redraw the picture from overhead as advised.
Show the "armature" and any freedom of movement - pivots or whatever.

Please make the orientation of the magnets clear - you have seen enough diagrams of magnets online to know what is needed.

I am happy to provide some insights on your interesting question about the magnetic field lines in a configuration of 2 pairs of magnetic dipoles.

Firstly, it is important to understand that magnetic field lines are imaginary lines that represent the direction and strength of the magnetic field. They are formed due to the interaction between the magnetic dipoles (the two poles of a magnet) and their surrounding environment.

In your configuration, the distance between each magnet in a pair is 2 mm, while the distance between the two pairs is 1 cm. This means that the magnetic field lines will be stronger between the magnets in a pair compared to the two pairs of magnets. This is because the closer the magnets are, the stronger the interaction between their magnetic fields.

Moreover, the orientation of the magnets also plays a role in determining the strength and direction of the magnetic field lines. In one pair, where the magnets stand NS (North-South), the magnetic field lines will be directed from the North pole to the South pole. In the other pair, where the magnets are opposite SN (South-North), the magnetic field lines will be directed from the South pole to the North pole. This creates a more complex and intertwined pattern of magnetic field lines between the two pairs.

In terms of the effect on each other, the magnetic field lines between the two pairs will interact with each other and may slightly alter their direction and strength. However, the majority of the magnetic field strength will be between the magnets in a pair, as they are closer and have a stronger interaction.

In summary, the magnetic field lines in this configuration will be stronger and more concentrated between the magnets in a pair, and will be directed from the North pole to the South pole in one pair and from the South pole to the North pole in the other pair. The magnetic field lines between the two pairs will also interact with each other, but the majority of the field strength will be within the individual pairs. I hope this helps to answer your question. Thank you for your interest in this topic!

1. What is a "magnetic dipole"?

A magnetic dipole is a pair of equal and opposite magnetic poles, separated by a small distance. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is used to describe the behavior of magnets and magnetic materials.

2. How are magnetic dipoles different from electric dipoles?

Magnetic dipoles and electric dipoles both involve two opposite poles separated by a distance. However, magnetic dipoles are caused by the alignment of electrons in a material, while electric dipoles are caused by the separation of positive and negative charges.

3. What is the significance of having 2 pairs of magnetic dipoles?

Having 2 pairs of magnetic dipoles allows for even stronger magnetic fields to be generated. When these dipoles are aligned in the same direction, they reinforce each other and create a stronger magnetic force.

4. How do magnetic dipoles interact with each other?

Magnetic dipoles interact through the force of magnetism. Opposite poles attract each other, while like poles repel each other. These interactions can be described by the laws of magnetism, such as the inverse square law.

5. How are magnetic dipoles used in technology?

Magnetic dipoles are used in a variety of technologies, including electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. They are also used in data storage devices, such as hard drives and credit cards, where the information is stored magnetically.