2 Questions: How Electric Potential affects a charge

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between potential and electric field lines, specifically when moving up/down and left/right in an electric field. It is concluded that potential decreases when moving with the field and remains unchanged when moving perpendicular to it. In terms of a proton between two charged sheets, it is affected by the electric field and its path is deflected towards the negative sheet. The speaker also suggests including a diagram for better understanding.
Iftekhar Uddin
1. There's a picture of Electric Field lines going down. Now between these electric field lines (affected by them) are points A and B at differing heights and positions. My question is, how does potential change as you go up/down and left/right? I would like to think that going down means you're going with the electric field so

ΔV = +Ed which would be higher than going up and against the electric field ΔV = -Ed

But how about moving left to right and vice versa in a electric field moving down? I'd think they're equal to 0 because they don't move along the E or against it and therefore their distance is neither + or -.2. Another question about potential: If you drop a proton between 2 sheets, one being +80V and the other being -80V, what would happen to the proton? I'd say it stays in the middle because the same, but opposing, electric fields would be affecting it.

Physics news on Phys.org
on second thought for #1, there should be a plot which tells me that right is positive if I'm going in the positive X direction.

Iftekhar Uddin said:
on second thought for #1, there should be a plot which tells me that right is positive if I'm going in the positive X direction.
Regarding your original two questions:
1. If the electric field lines are pointing "down", that means the potential decreases as you go down (or increases as you go up). If you move perpendicular to the field lines, the potential does not change.
2. There are no opposing fields between two charged sheets. There is an electric field pointing from the positive sheet to the negative sheet. As the proton drops, its path is deflected in the direction of the field.
I a not sure what you mean by your second positing. You should provide a diagram which shows the coordinate system and positions of the charges, etc.

Related to 2 Questions: How Electric Potential affects a charge

1. How does electric potential affect a charge?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy that a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field. The higher the electric potential, the greater the force that the charged particle experiences.

2. What factors determine the electric potential of a charge?

The electric potential of a charge is determined by the amount of charge present, the distance between the charge and the reference point, and the properties of the medium in which the charge is located.

3. Can electric potential change the direction of a charge?

Yes, electric potential can change the direction of a charge. For example, if a charged particle is moving towards a region of higher electric potential, it will experience a force in the direction of the electric field and will change its direction accordingly.

4. How does electric potential affect the movement of charges in a circuit?

In a circuit, electric potential difference, or voltage, is the driving force that causes charges to move. The higher the electric potential, the greater the voltage, and the faster the charges will move through the circuit.

5. What are the units of electric potential?

Electric potential is measured in volts (V). One volt is equivalent to one joule per coulomb (J/C), which represents the amount of work done to move one unit of charge across an electric potential difference of one volt.