2 Quick questions on Sound and echoes

• Thread starter ap_cycles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary: This is known as the "sound shadow" effect. Therefore, in summary, the medium for sound to be a good transmitter, reflector, and absorber must be elastic, soft with trapped pockets of air, and hard and dense, respectively. The Law of Reflection can be used to determine if echoes can reach us after bouncing off buildings, as sound waves follow the same behavior as light rays. This can be seen in the example of a boy standing in front of two buildings, where the sound wave can only reach him if there is a direct line of sight from the source to the boy and the reflected surface.
ap_cycles
Q1. What makes a medium a good transmitter, reflector and absorber of sound?
I understand that for a medium to be a good transmitter (ie sound travels fast through it), the medium must be elastic. Think of golf balls connected by springs. The springs are very elastic and stiff, hence any disturbance through the medium moves fast.

For a medium to be a good absorber, i think it has to be the opposite of being elastic. Preferably the medium is soft and contains trapped pockets of air, like styrofoam or fur.

For a medium to be a good reflector, i think the medium has to be hard and dense. Which begs the question: "Is a good sound transmitter also a good sound reflector?" (i.e. what is the difference between a good transmitter and reflector?)

Can forummers help to evaluate my thoughts above, as well as to answer the last question i asked? Thanks :-p

Q2. Should we use the "Law of Reflection" to determine if echoes can reach us after bouncing off buildings?"

Do "sound ray" follow the same behaviour in the same way that "light rays" do? We often use the geometry of incident and reflected angles to determine if light can reach our eyes. Should we also adopt the same approach to ascertain if echoes from a source can reach our ears?

I am asking this because i am stumped by a question, which has a boy standing in front of two buildings - the taller one is behind the shorter one. The boy is facing the shorter building. The question asked what will the boy hear instants after letting out a shout. I analyze the diagram, and realize that there is no way the reflected sound can reach the boy after bouncing off from the taller building behind. I am hence tempted to say that the boy can only hear one echo, coming from the shorter building in front of him. (i am assuming specular reflection off smooth surfaces.)

Can forummers shed light on this issue please?

Thanks.

From a high school Physics teacher. :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the Law of Reflection can be used to determine if echoes can reach us after bouncing off buildings. Sound waves also follow the same behavior as light rays, where the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that for a sound wave to reach the boy in the example given, the sound wave must have a direct line of sight to the boy from the source and the reflected surface. If the boy does not have a direct line of sight to the reflected surface, then the sound wave will not reach him.

Related to 2 Quick questions on Sound and echoes

1. How does sound travel through different mediums?

Sound travels through different mediums by creating vibrations that are transmitted through the molecules of the medium. The molecules of the medium then vibrate and pass the sound energy along until it reaches our ears.

2. What is the difference between sound and noise?

Sound is a form of energy that is created by vibrations and can be heard by the human ear. Noise, on the other hand, is unwanted or unpleasant sound that can be harmful to our ears. Sound can be controlled and used for communication, while noise is often a byproduct of unwanted vibrations.

3. How does an echo occur?

An echo occurs when sound waves bounce off of a hard surface and return to the listener's ear. This happens when the distance between the source of the sound and the reflecting surface is large enough for the sound waves to travel and return in a noticeable time frame.

4. Can sound waves travel through a vacuum?

No, sound waves cannot travel through a vacuum because they require a medium to transmit their energy. In a vacuum, there are no molecules for sound waves to vibrate and therefore, no sound can be heard.

5. How can we use echoes in everyday life?

Echoes have many practical applications in everyday life. For example, they are used in sonar technology to measure the depth of bodies of water or to detect objects underwater. In architecture, echoes can be used to enhance the acoustics of a room or auditorium. They can also be used in communication systems, such as walkie-talkies, to transmit and receive messages.