2mm x 2mm mirror array construction - can you help?

• I
  • Thread starter simonlhill
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a 500mm x 500mm array of 2mm x 2mm mirrors, each set at a different angle. The mirrors need a perfect square mirror finish, which may require a specialized process or company. The link provided may offer some ideas, and the possibility of calibrating the mirrors with first light is suggested. The individual asking the question also asks if the angles of the mirrors are important.
simonlhill
TL;DR Summary
Hi. What is a good process for constructing a 500mm x 500mm array of 2mm x 2mm mirrors (i.e. 250 x 250 mini mirrors) all at preset angles?
I’m looking to construct a 500mm x 500mm array of 2mm x 2mm mirrors (i.e. 250 x 250 mini mirrors). Each tiny mirror is at a different angle. The mirror angles are all preset - there is no need for any to move - such that the entire panel can be designed on a CAD package.

I am thinking this could be made using some kind of ultra high-resolution 3D printer, but the issue is the mirror finish must be perfect. So every 2mm x 2mm mirror needs a perfect square mirror finish. It can’t be approximate or curve at the edges of each mini mirror or the panel won’t produce the required optical effect.

Might anyone be able to please recommend a process for constructing this? Or perhaps a company that does this type of work?

Science news on Phys.org
At the risk of second guessing your project needs, is there any reason why you have to have it designed beforehand? What if you calibrated it with first light?

For example - and I'm sure I'm way off case here - coat your .5m x .5m base with plaster or epoxy putty or some such, place the mirrors in the wet stuff and then shine light on it one at a time to ensure its reflecting perfectly. Let it dry.

Do you care what the angles are, as long as every mirror points where it needs to?

1. What materials are typically used for constructing a 2mm x 2mm mirror array?

The most commonly used materials for constructing a 2mm x 2mm mirror array are glass or acrylic. These materials are lightweight, durable, and have a high reflectivity, making them ideal for use in mirror arrays.

2. How are the mirrors arranged in a 2mm x 2mm mirror array?

The mirrors in a 2mm x 2mm mirror array are typically arranged in a grid pattern, with each mirror being precisely placed 2mm apart from the others. This allows for maximum coverage and reflection of light.

3. What is the purpose of a 2mm x 2mm mirror array?

A 2mm x 2mm mirror array is used for a variety of purposes, such as in solar panels, optical devices, and scientific experiments. Its small size and high reflectivity make it useful for directing and focusing light in a controlled manner.

4. How are 2mm x 2mm mirror arrays manufactured?

2mm x 2mm mirror arrays are typically manufactured using a combination of precision cutting and polishing techniques. The mirrors are first cut to the desired size and shape, and then polished to ensure a smooth and reflective surface.

5. Can a 2mm x 2mm mirror array be customized for specific applications?

Yes, 2mm x 2mm mirror arrays can be customized for specific applications by adjusting the materials used, the arrangement of the mirrors, and the manufacturing process. This allows for a wide range of uses in various industries and fields of study.