3.2.5.3 General Solution if system

In summary: Hey! That's the same subspace spanned by $\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}$!That's no coincidence. Any time you have a repeated eigenvalue (like you do in this case), the eigenvectors corresponding to that eigenvalue will form a subspace.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{307w.3.2.5.3}$
https://mathhelpboards.com/{http%3A//faculty.sfasu.edu/judsontw/ode/html-snapshot/linear02.html
Find the general solution of each of the linear system
\begin{align*}
x' & = -3 x + 4y\\
y' & = 3x - 2y
\end{align*}
$A=\begin{pmatrix}-3&4\\ 3&-2\end{pmatrix}
=\left[\begin{array}{rr}- \lambda - 3 & 4\\3 & - \lambda - 2\end{array}\right]
=\lambda^{2} + 5 \lambda - 6 = 0
\quad \lambda_1=-5\quad \lambda_2=6$
\textit{ eigenvector:}$\left[
\begin{array}{r}1\\1\end{array}\right]$
and eigenvector:
$\left[\begin{array}{r}- \frac{4}{3}\\1\end{array}\right]$
so
$Au=\begin{pmatrix}-3&4\\ 3&-2\end{pmatrix}
\left(\begin{array}{r}1\\1\end{array}\right)
=\left(\begin{array}{r}1\\1\end{array}\right)
=\lambda_1\left(\begin{array}{r}1\\1\end{array}\right)
=e^{-5t}\left[

so far... but need other GE
typos probably

tried doing it w/o matrix but :(

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$\tiny{307w.3.2.5.3}$
https://mathhelpboards.com/{http%3A//faculty.sfasu.edu/judsontw/ode/html-snapshot/linear02.html
Find the general solution of each of the linear system
\begin{align*}
x' & = -3 x + 4y\\
y' & = 3x - 2y
\end{align*}
$A=\begin{pmatrix}-3&4\\ 3&-2\end{pmatrix}
=\left[\begin{array}{rr}- \lambda - 3 & 4\\3 & - \lambda - 2\end{array}\right]
=\lambda^{2} + 5 \lambda - 6 = 0
\quad \lambda_1=-5\quad \lambda_2=6$
\textit{ eigenvector:}$\left[
and eigenvector:
$\left[\begin{array}{r}- \frac{4}{3}\\1\end{array}\right]$
so
=e^{-5t}\left[

so far... but need other GE
typos probably

tried doing it w/o matrix but :(
What is the vector $b(t)=\begin{pmatrix} x(t)\\ y(t) \end{pmatrix}$ equal to? So what is the $b'(t)$? What is the other eigenvector and eigenvalue? How does the other eigenvector and eigenvalue relate to your first part of the solution to this system of ODEs? What is the superposition principle in second order ODE and how does that principle relates to the systems of ODE?

I have a hard time understanding your notation because I think you are using the equal sign as an operator, which is not the correct usage. I like that you tell me what the matrix $A$ is. What is the vector $u$ states for?
But if you are using eigenvalue algorithm, you need to say $\det(A-\lambda I_2)=$.. then compute the roots of the characteristic polynomial of the matrix $A$ on a different line.

this is the example I am trying to follow

mhb.png

What
karush said:
this is the example I am trying to follow

View attachment 11104
What do the third paragraph read, "similiarly,..."? Have you try to plugin in the second eigenvector to see if it is associated to the second eigenvalue? I.e. Repeated this line
=e^{-5t}\left[
\begin{array}{r}1\\1\end{array}\right]$ with the second eigenvector. To see if the eigenvalue is the same?

probably not those are steps i don't understand

Can you do matrix multiplication?
$$\begin{pmatrix}-3&4\\ 3&-2\end{pmatrix}
=\left(\begin{array}{r}1\\1\end{array}\right)$$

I think that your eigenvalues are incorrect. Let's restart from the beginning in order for you to understand the idea is. Let's find the eigenvalue of your ODEs. What is the $det(\lambda I_2-A)=$, where $A$ is your matrix that is defined and $I_2$ is the identity matrix?

Cbarker1 said:
I think that your eigenvalues are incorrect. Let's restart from the beginning in order for you to understand the idea is. Let's find the eigenvalue of your ODEs. What is the $det(\lambda I_2-A)=$, where $A$ is your matrix that is defined and $I_2$ is the identity matrix?

here is where I got the eigenvalues
eMh

karush said:
here is where I got the eigenvalues
eMh
Ok. Let's use that calculator as way to check it. Are you familiar of determinants and quadratic formula?

$\lambda$ is an "eigenvalue" of linear transformation, A, if and only if there exist a non-zero vector, v, such that $Av= \lambda v$.

So you want to solve $\begin{bmatrix}-3 & 4 \\ 3 & -2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}= \lambda\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix}$. That is the same as $\begin{bmatrix}-3 & 4 \\ 3 & -2 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}- \lambda\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}-3-\lambda & 4 \\ 3 & -2-\lambda\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}= 0$.

An obvious solution to that is x= 0, y= 0 but we are looking for non-zero (non-trivial) solutions. As a general rule, if A is invertible, which for a matrix is equivalent to saying its determinant is not 0, Ax= b has the unique solution $x= A^{-1}b$ and if b= 0, x= 0 would be the only solution.

So to have a non-zero solution, we must have $\left|\begin{array}{cc}-3- \lambda & 4 \\ 3 & -2- \lambda \end{array}\right|= (-3-\lambda)(-2-\lambda)- 4(3)= \lambda^2+ 5\lambda+ 6- 12= \lambda^2+ 5\lambda- 6= (\lambda+ 6)(\lambda- 1)= 0$.

The eigenvalues are $\lambda= -6$ and $\lambda= 1$.Now, we look for the corresponding eigenvectors. Again we go back to the basic definition. $v= \begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix}$ is an eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue $\lambda= 1$ if and only if $\begin{bmatrix}-3 & 4 \\ 3 & -2 \end{bmatrix}$$\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}-3x+ 4y \\ 3x- 2y \end{bmatrix}= 1 \begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}$. That is equivalent to the two equations -3x+ 4y= x, or -4x+ 4y= 0 and 3x- 2y= y or 3x- 3y= 0, Those both reduce to y= x so any vector $\begin{bmatrix} x \\ x \end{bmatrix}= x\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}$. Yes, there are an infinite number of eigenvectors corresponding to eigenvalue 1: the subspace spanned by $\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}$,

Now, for eigenvectors corresponding to eigenvalue -6. Same basic idea- we want $\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix}$ such that
$\begin{bmatrix}-3 & 4 \\ 3 & -2 \end{bmatrix}$$\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}-3x+ 4y \\ 3x- 2y \end{bmatrix}= -6 \begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}$ which is equivalent to the two equations $-3x+ 4y= -6x$ or $3x+ 4y= 0$ and $3x-2y= -6y$ or $3x+ 4y= 0$. Again, there are infinitely many non-zero solution to that. Taking x= 4 and y= -3 satisfy that- as well as any multiple of $\begin{bmatrix} 4 \\ -3 \end{bmatrix}$. All vectors in the subspace spanned by $\begin{bmatrix}4 \\ -3 \end{bmatrix}$ are eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalue -6.

wow, that was a lot of explanation but was a very great help.
I was having trouble with setting up the matrix's
i still don't see how this makes the derivative disappear:unsure:

It is like the second order ODE...when you solve them, you make a guess of what the solution will look like.

For instance, $y''+5y'+6y=0$ the only function that has this property is $e^{rx}$.

well that's good to know...

Beach House one of last projects I worked on before I retiredw
house.png

karush said:
well that's good to know...

Beach House one of last projects I worked on before I retiredwView attachment 11105
Since system of ode will have n equations, the system will be translated to nth order ode (Depends on the system if the ode is linear or not; or have constant coefficients or not).

ok I started another thread with a system of 2 eq with IV's

1. What is a general solution for a system of equations?

A general solution for a system of equations is a set of values that satisfies all of the equations in the system. It is a solution that can be applied to any set of equations with the same variables and coefficients.

2. How is a general solution different from a specific solution?

A specific solution is a set of values that satisfies a particular set of equations, while a general solution satisfies any set of equations with the same variables and coefficients. A specific solution is unique, while a general solution can have multiple possible solutions.

3. What are the steps for finding a general solution for a system of equations?

The steps for finding a general solution for a system of equations are: 1. Simplify each equation in the system by combining like terms. 2. Use elimination or substitution to solve for one variable in terms of the other variables. 3. Repeat step 2 for each variable until all variables have been solved for. 4. Write the solutions for each variable in terms of a parameter, such as "t". 5. Combine the solutions to form the general solution for the system.

4. Can a general solution have more than one solution?

Yes, a general solution can have multiple solutions. This is because a general solution is a set of values that satisfies any set of equations with the same variables and coefficients. Different sets of equations can have different solutions, resulting in multiple solutions for the general solution.

5. How can a general solution be used to check the accuracy of a specific solution?

A specific solution can be substituted into the general solution to check if it satisfies all of the equations in the system. If the specific solution satisfies all of the equations, then it is a valid solution for the system. If it does not, then the specific solution is not a valid solution and may need to be recalculated.