4 examples linking dna mutation to disease

In summary, the new user asked for help finding examples of genetic disorders. Moonbear provided a list of four examples, including Down syndrome and dwarfism. The user asked if they needed help finding more disorders, and Moonbear said they just need a basic idea about the disease.
optera
hi :smile:
i am new over here,needed a little help from u people.
i have an assignment to do in which i have to discuss about any 4 examples linking dna mutation to disease

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you come up with so far? Maybe you should repost this in the homework help section.

Indeed...moved. optera, since this wasn't originally posted in HW Help, please take a look at the guidelines regarding posting homework, specifically the requirement to show your own efforts first. We can come back to help when you've given us a little more of your own thoughts/ideas on the topic.

thanks moonbear.
i indeed didn't know about the guidelines... i'll take of it frm the next time.

sickle cell anemia,maniac depression,hypertension and diabetes are the examples that i have read in the reference textbooks and every1 in the class would be writting about these diseases only.i want to learn some new disease,that most have not heard of.

i have also read about werners disease which makes the patient to grow old in young age.

is it that, all the genetic disorder are due to mutation

Basically, yes, if someone says something is a genetic disorder, it is a mutation leading to disease. So you could choose any genetic disorder.

If you do write about diabetes, remember that type II diabetes is not genetic, but induced with diet.

Some other prominent ones that you might want to research (since they'd be easy to find information on) would be dwarfism (there are several types, so you can look those up and see if one is more interesting, or if you want to talk about the variety of types), and Down syndrome.

Do you just need suggestions on disorders to research, or do you have some other question about the ones you're looking up?

I have to give a basic idea about the disease not much in depth as the question is for 20 marks and we have been asked to write 4 examples, so that means each example carries 5 marks.

thanks 4 the help :)

1. How does a DNA mutation cause disease?

A DNA mutation is a permanent change in the sequence of nucleotides in the DNA molecule. This change can alter the instructions for making proteins, which are essential for the proper functioning of our cells and body. When a mutation occurs in a gene that is responsible for producing a particular protein, it can lead to a malfunction or absence of that protein, causing a disease.

2. Can DNA mutations be inherited?

Yes, some DNA mutations can be inherited from our parents. These are known as germline mutations and are present in the egg or sperm cells that are passed down from generation to generation. Inherited mutations can increase the risk of developing certain diseases, such as cystic fibrosis or Huntington's disease.

3. What are some examples of diseases caused by DNA mutations?

There are numerous diseases that have been linked to DNA mutations, including cancer, sickle cell anemia, hemophilia, and cystic fibrosis. In cancer, mutations can occur in genes that control cell growth and division, leading to uncontrolled cell growth and tumor formation. Inherited mutations in the genes responsible for producing hemoglobin can cause sickle cell anemia, while mutations in genes involved in blood clotting can lead to hemophilia.

4. Can environmental factors contribute to DNA mutations and disease?

Yes, certain environmental factors such as UV radiation, chemicals, and viruses can damage our DNA, leading to mutations that can cause diseases like skin cancer or hepatitis. These mutations are known as somatic mutations and occur in cells that are not passed down to offspring.

5. How are DNA mutations linked to personalized medicine?

DNA mutations play a crucial role in personalized medicine, which uses genetic information to tailor medical treatments to individual patients. By identifying specific mutations that are responsible for a disease, doctors can prescribe targeted treatments that address the underlying cause of the disease, rather than just treating the symptoms. This approach has shown promising results in diseases like cancer, where certain mutations can predict the effectiveness of a particular treatment.