4 part problem regarding homomorphisms

In summary: G,H and a homomorphism $\phi:G\to H$ where $\phi(G)$ is not normal in H is G = H = Z (the group of integers under addition) and $\phi:G\to H$ defined as $\phi(x) = 2x$. In this case, $\phi(G) = 2Z$, which is not normal in H = Z since for example, $2 \cdot 3 \cdot 2 = 12 \notin 2Z$.(d) To prove that the only homomorphism $\phi:G\implies G'$ is the trivial one, we can use the fact that if $\phi$ is a non-trivial homomorphism,
AutGuy98
Hey guys,

I have some more problems that I need help with figuring out what to do. The first one is divided into 4 mini-problems, sub-sections, whatever you would like to call them. It asks:

(a) Show that (Z/4Z,+) is not isomorphic to ((Z/2Z) x (Z/2Z),+). Find a homomorphism from (Z/4Z,+) to ((Z/2Z) x (Z/2Z),+).
(b) Let G and H be groups and let $\phi:G\to H$ be a homomorphism. Show that $ker(\phi)$ is a normal subgroup of G and that $\phi(G)$ is a subgroup of H.
(c) Find a pair of groups G,H and a homomorphism $\phi:G\to H$ between them such that $\phi(G)$ is not normal in H.
(d) Let G and G' (i.e. G prime) be finite groups whose orders have no common factor. Prove that the only homomorphism $\phi:G\implies G'$ is the trivial one (i.e. $\phi(x)=1$ for all x's in G).

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could please get back to me about these by tomorrow. But if more time is needed to work the problems out, I completely understand. Thank you in advance to whomever assists me with these. I am extremely grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I am happy to assist you with these problems. Let's go through them one by one.

(a) To show that (Z/4Z,+) is not isomorphic to ((Z/2Z) x (Z/2Z),+), we need to find a property that is true for one group but not the other. In this case, it is the order of the elements. In (Z/4Z,+), the element 2 has an order of 4, meaning that when we add it to itself 4 times, we get the identity element. However, in ((Z/2Z) x (Z/2Z),+), all elements have an order of either 1 or 2. Therefore, these two groups cannot be isomorphic.

To find a homomorphism from (Z/4Z,+) to ((Z/2Z) x (Z/2Z),+), we can define $\phi:Z/4Z \to (Z/2Z) x (Z/2Z)$ as $\phi([x]) = ([x],[x])$. This is a valid homomorphism because for any $[x],[y] \in Z/4Z$, we have $\phi([x]+[y]) = ([x+y],[x+y]) = ([x],[x]) + ([y],[y]) = \phi([x]) + \phi([y])$. You can verify that this is indeed a homomorphism.

(b) To show that $ker(\phi)$ is a normal subgroup of G, we need to show that for any $g \in G$ and $k \in ker(\phi)$, we have $gkg^{-1} \in ker(\phi)$. This is true because $\phi(gkg^{-1}) = \phi(g)\phi(k)\phi(g)^{-1} = \phi(g)1\phi(g)^{-1} = \phi(g)\phi(g)^{-1} = 1$, since $\phi(k) = 1$ by definition of $ker(\phi)$.

To show that $\phi(G)$ is a subgroup of H, we need to show that it is closed under the group operation and contains the identity element. Both of these are true since $\phi$ is a homomorphism and $\phi(1_G) = 1_H$.

(c) A simple example of a

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure of a mathematical object. In the context of group theory, a homomorphism is a function between two groups that preserves the group operation.

2. What is a 4 part problem regarding homomorphisms?

A 4 part problem regarding homomorphisms is a problem that involves four main components: the two groups involved, the homomorphism function, and the properties or relationships between the groups and the function.

3. How do I solve a 4 part problem regarding homomorphisms?

To solve a 4 part problem regarding homomorphisms, you will need to understand the properties and relationships between the two groups and the homomorphism function. You may also need to use algebraic manipulations and properties of homomorphisms to simplify the problem and find a solution.

4. What is the importance of studying homomorphisms?

Studying homomorphisms is important in mathematics because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of different mathematical objects, such as groups. Homomorphisms also have applications in other branches of mathematics, such as algebraic topology and abstract algebra.

5. Can you give an example of a 4 part problem regarding homomorphisms?

One example of a 4 part problem regarding homomorphisms is finding a homomorphism between two groups, such as the group of integers under addition and the group of non-zero real numbers under multiplication. The problem would involve defining the homomorphism function, proving its properties, and finding its kernel and image.