4th order tensor inverse and double dot product computation

In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions of double dot product, identity, and inverse of fourth order tensors. The double dot product involves a loop over four indices and the inverse can be represented using Mandel's notation. However, there seems to be a discrepancy between the identity of fourth order tensors and the identity of 6x6 matrices when using Mandel's notation. The conversation ends with a request for help in understanding this discrepancy.
Experience111
Hi everyone, I am currently working on a subject that involves a lot of 4th order tensors computations including double dot product and inverse of fourth order tensors.

First the definitions so that we are on the same page. What I call the double dot product is :

$$ (A:B)_{ijkl} = A_{ijmn}B_{mnkl} $$

and for the double dot product between a fourth order tensor and a second order tensor :

$$ (A:s)_{ij} = A_{ijkl}s_{kl}$$

Using the convention of sommation over repeating indices.

What I call the identity of the fourth order tensors is the only tensor such that :

$$ A:I = I:A = I $$

it is defined by ## I = \delta_{ik}\delta_{jl} e_{i} \otimes e_{j} \otimes e_{k} \otimes e_{l} ##.

What I call the inverse of a fourth order tensor is the inverse with respect to the double dot product, that is, the inverse of ##A## is the only tensor ##B## such that ##AB = BA = I##.

The double dot product is easy to compute if you don't think about the efficiency of the code, just create an array and loop over the four indices. Computing the inverse is something else. Every tensor I use has the minor symmetries ##A_{ijkl} = A_{jikl} = A_{ijlk}## so I thought I would use the Mandel representation for second order and fourth order tensors mentioned on Wikipedia. The fourth order tensor can be put into a ##6 \times6## matrix with the following components :

$$ [C] =
\begin{bmatrix}
C_{1111} & C_{1122} & C_{1133} & \sqrt{2}C_{1123} & \sqrt{2}C_{1131} & \sqrt{2}C_{1112}\\
C_{2211} & C_{2222} & C_{2233} & \sqrt{2}C_{2223} & \sqrt{2}C_{2231} & \sqrt{2}C_{2212}\\
C_{3311} & C_{3322} & C_{3333} & \sqrt{2}C_{3323} & \sqrt{2}C_{3331} & \sqrt{2}C_{3312}\\
\sqrt{2}C_{2311} & \sqrt{2}C_{2322} & \sqrt{2}C_{2333} & 2C_{2323} & 2C_{2331} & 2C_{2312}\\
\sqrt{2}C_{3111} & \sqrt{2}C_{3122} & \sqrt{2}C_{3133} & 2C_{3123} & 2C_{3131} & 2C_{3112}\\
\sqrt{2}C_{1211} & \sqrt{2}C_{1222} & \sqrt{2}C_{1233} & 2C_{1223} &2C_{1231} & 2C_{1212}
\end{bmatrix}
$$

##C## is a fourth order tensor with minor symmetries and ##[C]## is its Mandel representation. The reason why Mandel's representation exists according to different sources is such that the matrix-matrix and matrix-vector usual products coincide with the fourth order tensors double dot product and the inverse in each respective space (fourth order tensors and ##6\times 6## matrices) coincides as well. But it doesn't work or at least there must be something I don't understand. If I put the identity 4th order tensor defined above into Mandel's notation, I get the following matrix :

$$ I =
\begin{bmatrix}
1&0&0&0&0&0\\
0&1&0&0&0&0\\
0&0&1&0&0&0\\
0&0&0&2&0&0\\
0&0&0&0&2&0\\
0&0&0&0&0&2
\end{bmatrix}
$$which is obviously different from the identity of ##6 \times 6## matrices so if I compute ##[C].I## using the usual matrix-matrix product I won't get the same ##[C]##. What am I missing here ?

Thanks a lot for your help and the discussions to come :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit

Last edited:

1. What is a 4th order tensor inverse?

A 4th order tensor inverse is the mathematical operation of finding the inverse of a 4th order tensor. This involves computing the inverse of each component of the tensor and rearranging them in a specific order to obtain the inverse tensor.

2. Why is the computation of a 4th order tensor inverse important?

The computation of a 4th order tensor inverse is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, materials science, and fluid dynamics. It allows for the transformation of a 4th order tensor into a more manageable form, making it easier to perform calculations and analyze data.

3. What is a double dot product of 4th order tensors?

A double dot product of 4th order tensors is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two 4th order tensors and then taking the trace of the resulting tensor. This operation is commonly used in mechanics and materials science to compute strain and stress tensors.

4. How is the double dot product of 4th order tensors computed?

The computation of a double dot product of 4th order tensors involves first multiplying the individual components of the two tensors and then summing them according to a specific pattern. This pattern varies depending on the convention used, such as Voigt notation or matrix notation.

5. Can 4th order tensor inverse and double dot product computation be performed by hand?

Yes, 4th order tensor inverse and double dot product computation can be performed by hand, but it can be a time-consuming and tedious process. Therefore, it is more common to use specialized software or programming languages to perform these calculations efficiently and accurately.