5.t.11 find x for the imaginary factors

In summary: I have revised my solution and the correct summary is:In summary, we are trying to find the value of x for the function f(x)=0, with the given factors of (x-1), (x-(5+i)), and (x-(5-i)). By expanding and simplifying, we get the quadratic equation x^2-10x+26, where we observe that (x-1) is one of the roots. Using the quadratic formula, we can find the other two roots to be 5+i and 5-i. However, it was not stated in the problem that f(1)=0, so we cannot assume it as a root. Additionally, there were some errors in the
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\textbf{5.t.11 }$ McKinley HS

Find x for $f(x)=0 \quad 5+i\quad 5-i\quad $
$\begin{array}{rl}
\textsf{factored} &f(x)=(x-1)[x-(5+i))(x-(5-i)]\\
\textsf{foil} &x^2-x(5+i)-x(5-i)+(5-i)^2\\
\textsf{expand} &x^2-5x-xi-5x+xi+25-2i+i^2 \\
\textsf{simplify} &x^2-10x+26\\
\textsf{observation } &(x-1)=0,\quad x=1\\
\textsf{quadratic formula} &=\dfrac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\\
&=\dfrac{-(10)\pm\sqrt{(10)^2-4(1)(26)}}{2(1)}\\
&=\dfrac{-1\pm\sqrt{100-96}}{2}
=\dfrac{-10\pm2i}{2}=5\pm i
\end{array}$

can't seem to get the errors out of this;)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$\textbf{5.t.11 }$ McKinley HS

Find x for $f(x)=0 \quad 5+i\quad 5-i\quad $
$\begin{array}{rl}
\textsf{factored} &f(x)=(x-1)[x-(5+i))(x-(5-i)]\\
\textsf{foil} &x^2-x(5+i)-x(5-i)+(5-i)^2\\
\textsf{expand} &x^2-5x-xi-5x+xi+25-2i+i^2 \\
\textsf{simplify} &x^2-10x+26\\
\textsf{observation } &(x-1)=0,\quad x=1\\
\textsf{quadratic formula} &=\dfrac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\\
&=\dfrac{-(10)\pm\sqrt{(10)^2-4(1)(26)}}{2(1)}\\
&=\dfrac{-1\pm\sqrt{100-96}}{2}
=\dfrac{-10\pm2i}{2}=5\pm i
\end{array}$

can't seem to get the errors out of this;)
First: Your problem didn't state that f(1) = 0.

Second: \(\displaystyle f(x)=(x-1)[x-(5+i))(x-(5-i))]\) gives the zeros 1, 5 - i, and 5 + i but is a cubic. You left out the (x - 1) factor and got a quadratic. You never stated f(x).

Third: The last term in the quadratic expansion is \(\displaystyle (5 + i)(5 - i) = 25 - i^2 = 26\)

(Fourth: 25 + i^2 = 25 - 1 = 24. Your wrote 26 in the quadratic formula, which is correct but your work would have set c = 24 and given the wrong answer.)

Fifth: b = -10, not b = 10.

Sixth: \(\displaystyle 100 - 4 \cdot 26 = -4\), not 4.

You need to drink more coffee when you are doing these.

-Dan

ok thanks

1. What does "5.t.11 find x for the imaginary factors" mean?

5.t.11 refers to a specific problem or equation that involves finding the value of x. The term "imaginary factors" refers to complex numbers or solutions that involve the square root of a negative number.

2. How do you solve for x in an equation with imaginary factors?

To solve for x in an equation with imaginary factors, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the equation to find the roots. The solutions will be complex numbers in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

3. Can an equation have both real and imaginary factors?

Yes, an equation can have both real and imaginary factors. This means that the solutions will be a combination of real and complex numbers.

4. Is it possible to have more than one solution for x when dealing with imaginary factors?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one solution for x when dealing with imaginary factors. This is because complex numbers have two roots, known as the principal root and the conjugate root.

5. How are equations with imaginary factors used in real-life applications?

Equations with imaginary factors are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. They can be used to model systems with oscillating or periodic behavior, such as electrical circuits, sound waves, and stock market fluctuations.