A countable subset of an infinite set and the axiom of choice.

In summary, according to Paul Cohen's result in a mathematical model without the axiom of choice, there exists an infinite set of real numbers without a countable subset. However, the proof that every infinite set has a countable subset is dependent on the axiom of choice and therefore cannot be proven in a model without the axiom of choice. This does not necessarily mean that there must be at least one infinite set without a countable subset, as the inability to prove something does not imply its falsehood. Cohen's proof is actually rather constructive, and he showed the relative consistency of a set theory in which the proposed proposition is false. It is important to distinguish between statements that are true or false and statements that can or cannot be proven.
gottfried
According to a result of Paul Cohen in a mathematical model without the axiom of choice there exists an infinite set of real numbers without a countable subset. The proof that every infinite set has a countable subset (http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Infinite_Set_has_Countably_Infinite_Subset) is dependant on the axiom of choice and therefore cannot be proven in a model without the axiom of choice. Given that it cannot be proven does it imply there MUST be atleast one infinite set without a countable subset?

I realize this may seem like a stupid questions because it seems intuitive that if something can't be proven then there must be a counter example but I have learned to be skeptical about any naievely intuitive conclusions so I was hopping somebody could just clarify.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gottfried said:
The proof that every infinite set has a countable subset (http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Infinite_Set_has_Countably_Infinite_Subset) is dependant on the axiom of choice and therefore cannot be proven in a model without the axiom of choice. Given that it cannot be proven does it imply there MUST be atleast one infinite set without a countable subset?

No. "Cannot be proven" does not imply "is false".

The first sentence of your post conveys the impression that Cohen has actually established the existence of such a set, although you will have to look at his work to see whether his proof is constructive ("here's such a set") or not ("the non-existence of such a set is impossible").

The proof is at a level that I don't really understand but I'm pretty sure the proof wasn't constructive.

gottfried said:
The proof is at a level that I don't really understand but I'm pretty sure the proof wasn't constructive.

His proof actually is rather constructive. He actually constructed a possible set theory in which your proposition holds false, and he showed it was (relative) consistent.

In mathematics, there are the following notions:
Proposition A is true
Proposition A is false
Proposition A can be proven
Proposition A cannot be proven

Do not confuse between these. There is a big difference between something being true and something which can be proven.

Roughly, if the axioms are true statements (which we certainly hope for), then Proposition A can be proven implies that Proposition A is true. But it doesn't mean that if Proposition A cannot be proven, then Proposition A is false!

I understand your skepticism towards naively intuitive conclusions. In mathematics, we rely on rigorous proofs and logical reasoning to make conclusions. In this case, the result of Paul Cohen does not necessarily imply that there MUST be at least one infinite set without a countable subset. It simply means that in a specific mathematical model without the axiom of choice, there exists such a set. The existence of such a set may or may not hold true in other mathematical models with or without the axiom of choice. Therefore, it is not a definite conclusion that there exists an infinite set without a countable subset, but rather a possibility that cannot be proven in that particular model without the axiom of choice. It is important to note that the axiom of choice is a controversial topic in mathematics, and its implications are still being studied and debated by mathematicians.

1. What is a countable subset?

A countable subset is a subset of a set that has a finite or countably infinite number of elements.

2. What is an infinite set?

An infinite set is a set that has an uncountable number of elements, meaning it is not possible to list or count all of its elements.

3. What is the axiom of choice?

The axiom of choice is a mathematical principle that states that given any collection of non-empty sets, a set can be formed that contains exactly one element from each set in the collection.

4. How does the axiom of choice relate to countable subsets of infinite sets?

The axiom of choice is often used to prove the existence of a countable subset of an infinite set. This is because the axiom of choice allows for the creation of a set that contains one element from each infinite set.

5. Why is the axiom of choice controversial?

The use of the axiom of choice in mathematics has been the subject of much debate and controversy. Some mathematicians argue that it is a necessary tool for proving certain theorems, while others argue that it can lead to counterintuitive or paradoxical results. Additionally, the axiom of choice cannot be proven, and its acceptance as a fundamental principle in mathematics is a matter of philosophical and mathematical debate.