A Historical Look at Analytic Geometry

In summary, analytic geometry is a powerful tool for thinking and was developed by prominent mathematicians Pierre de Fermat and Renee Descartes in 17th century France. While Fermat's Method of Adequality is said to have a more modern approach, it is important to examine how it relates to Descartes' work and if they influenced each other. It is recommended to read Morris Kline's Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times, Vol. 1 and Carl Boyer's A History of Mathematics, as well as the works of Fermat and Descartes for a deeper understanding.
DeeAytch
Hello,

Analytic geometry has provided us with such profound tools for thinking that it is hard to imagine what thinking must have been like before we had such tools. Two particular developers of these tools are Pierre de Fermat and Renee Descartes in 17th century France.

I would like to compare the analytic geometry of these two mathematicians. Particularly, how Fermat's Method of Adequality relates to the work of Descartes. Also, how, if at all, they influenced each other.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
DeeAytch.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't feel comfortable giving you a detailed answer (the most I "know" is that I've heard that Fermat's thinking was more like the modern approach than Descartes'), but you may want to check out Morris Kline's Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times, Vol. 1. I think Carl Boyer's A History of Mathematics is also good. Wikipedia itself may or may not be of much help, but the sources at the bottom are usually quite good.

Of course, the best way is to read Fermat and Descartes. I'd link you, but if it's not one of the first results of a google search, I don't know an easy way to read them. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable than I can help, but those are a start.

1. What is analytic geometry?

Analytic geometry is a branch of mathematics that combines algebra and geometry to study geometric shapes and their properties using coordinates. It was first developed by the French mathematician René Descartes in the 17th century.

2. What was the significance of analytic geometry in history?

Analytic geometry played a crucial role in the development of calculus and modern mathematics. It also allowed for the application of algebraic methods to solve geometric problems, leading to new discoveries in mathematics and other fields such as physics and engineering.

3. Who were the key figures in the development of analytic geometry?

The key figures in the development of analytic geometry were René Descartes, Pierre de Fermat, and John Wallis. They all made significant contributions to the field, with Descartes being credited as the founder of analytic geometry.

4. How is analytic geometry used in practical applications?

Analytic geometry has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze real-world problems, such as the motion of objects, the design of structures, and the creation of 3D graphics.

5. Is analytic geometry still relevant today?

Yes, analytic geometry is still relevant and widely used today. It serves as the foundation for many advanced mathematical concepts and is essential in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. Its principles continue to be applied in solving complex problems and developing new technologies.