A little help with this complex number question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of |z|, where z = 2r cos(x) + ir sin(x). The conversation includes the use of the Cis rule or exponential equality to solve for this value, as well as discussing how the value of |z| depends on the variables r and x. The conversation also mentions converting complex cartesian forms to polar ones using the formula e^(it) = cos(t) + i sin(t). Finally, it is concluded that there is no single value for |z| and the conversation expresses gratitude for the help provided.
aerosmith
if z = 2 r cos x + r i sin x
what is the value of lzl

I worked for 3 hours but yet can only find lzl in terms of r and x, but the question says find the value, can anyone help solve? this is a special question to me because i always see polar forms with coefficient of the sin and cos as the same, but this question shows otherwise.

ty, help appreciated.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
you sure you don't mean [tex] z = 2rCos(x) + riSin(x) [/tex] ? If so use your Cis rule or exponential equality for cos + i sin

sorry bout the i, i edited already, what do u mean by the cis rule or exponential equality, can u teach me?

can anybody help solve this for me?

Am I correct, that you are given z= 2r cos(x)+ i r sin(x) and want to find |z|? That will depend on r and x- it's obviously not a single number since the larger r is obviously the larger the |z|. If, for example, x= 0 then z= 2r which has absolute value 2r. If x= [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] then z= i r and so |z|= r.

[tex]|z|= \sqrt{z\cdot\overlinez}= \sqrt{(2r cos(x)+ i r sin(x))(2r cos(x)- i r sin(x)}= \sqrt{4r^2cos^2(x)- r^2 sin^2(x)}[/= r \sqrt{4 cos^2(x)- sin^2(x)}[/tex]

You might be able to simplify that squareroot by trig identities but you can't get rid of r and x.

the cis thing is basically converting complex cartesian forms to polar ones

[tex] {e^{it}} = Cos(t) + i Sin(t) [/tex]

the t should be the power as well with i but for some reason the tex won't do it :( need to learn more about it i guess

ok, so now i know i was right, time to get to school and prove to my teacher that there is no answer, since the question asks for a value, ty ppl for helping me, i wasted 5 hours of my life working on something i got right 5 hours ago, once again ty ppl, help appreciated.

Related to A little help with this complex number question

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that consists of a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter i, which stands for the square root of -1. Complex numbers are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (1 - 5i) = (3 + 1) + (2i - 5i) = 4 - 3i. The same process applies for subtraction.

3. How do you multiply complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, which stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last. For example, (3 + 2i)(1 - 5i) = 3 - 15i + 2i - 10i^2 = 3 - 13i - 10(-1) = 13 - 13i. It's important to remember that i^2 = -1.

4. How do you divide complex numbers?

To divide complex numbers, you use the conjugate of the denominator. The conjugate of a complex number is the same number with the sign of the imaginary part changed. For example, (3 + 2i) / (1 - 5i) = (3 + 2i)(1 + 5i) / (1 - 5i)(1 + 5i) = (3 + 17i + 10i^2) / (1 - 25i^2) = (3 + 17i + 10(-1)) / (1 - 25(-1)) = (13 + 17i) / 26 = 1/2 + 17i/26.

5. What is the geometric interpretation of complex numbers?

Complex numbers can be represented geometrically on a complex plane, which is similar to a coordinate plane. The real part of the complex number is represented on the x-axis and the imaginary part is represented on the y-axis. The number a + bi can be plotted as the point (a, b) on the complex plane. The distance from the origin to the point is called the modulus, and the angle between the positive real axis and the line connecting the point to the origin is called the argument.