A Magic Compass & Real Magnetism

In summary, the young protagonist has a compass that never points north and never settles. He asks a scientist how this is possible and is told that it is because there is no power source and the device will eventually stop spinning. The scientist suggests that the key to the compass's operation is a magnet.
scifiwriter888
Hello!

I'm looking for some help regarding magnetism and how it might work (or be fictionalized) in regards to a "magic" compass. I have two questions. Please excuse my complete scientific ignorance :)

In my story, our young hero has a compass. The compass needle just spins in endless circles, never pointing north, never settling. So my first question is, how could this be possible? Is there any sort of science, type of magnetism, type of partially magnetic metal, etc. that could explain this (even if it's a stretch or even a theory)? I want to make it as grounded as possible, but if it's physically impossible, I will just have to fictionalize it.

The second part: One day this compass stops spinning and leads the hero to a golden key. The idea is that the needle is not made of steel and neither is the key. Both are made of a different type of unique metal/element that are attracted to one another and not affected by the poles. So when the compass gets within range of this key, it leads the hero to it.

I guess neither the key or needle would need to be made of steel, iron, or anything attracted to the poles, just two types of metal that would only be attracted to each other and able to operate independently of the magnetic poles.

Any input and ideas are welcome! Thank you in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
scifiwriter888 said:
So my first question is, how could this be possible?
Without a power source this is impossible. Every device has some friction, without a power source (a battery, some external variable electric or magnetic fields, sunlight, ...) it will come to rest eventually.

scifiwriter888 said:
The second part: One day this compass stops spinning and leads the hero to a golden key. The idea is that the needle is not made of steel and neither is the key. Both are made of a different type of unique metal/element that are attracted to one another and not affected by the poles. So when the compass gets within range of this key, it leads the hero to it.
That doesn't work, there is just one electromagnetism. But you can assume that the key, or its container, or something close to it, is a powerful magnet - stronger than the magnetic field of the planet if you are close enough.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Jack Sparrow's compass?

Likes russ_watters
This is helpful! Thank you!

1. What is a magic compass?

A magic compass is a type of compass that is able to detect and respond to the presence of real magnetism. It is believed to have special properties that allow it to locate and track the Earth's magnetic field.

2. How does a magic compass work?

A magic compass works by using a magnetized needle that is suspended on a pivot point. The needle is free to rotate and align itself with the Earth's magnetic field. This allows the compass to point towards the Earth's magnetic north pole, providing a sense of direction.

3. Is a magic compass the same as a regular compass?

No, a magic compass is not the same as a regular compass. While both use a magnetized needle to indicate direction, a magic compass is believed to have the ability to detect and respond to real magnetism, while a regular compass only responds to the Earth's magnetic field.

4. What is real magnetism?

Real magnetism is a natural phenomenon that occurs due to the movement of electrically charged particles in certain substances, such as iron and other metals. It is responsible for creating the Earth's magnetic field and can also be observed in smaller objects, such as magnets.

5. Can a magic compass be used for navigation?

Yes, a magic compass can be used for navigation, just like a regular compass. However, it is important to note that a magic compass may not always be accurate, as it can be affected by other magnetic fields and objects. It is best to use a combination of tools, such as a map and GPS, for reliable navigation.