Is Lagrangian Formalism the Best Approach for Analyzing Forces on a Frame?

• Thread starter wrobel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frame
In summary, frames in science refer to a reference point or system used to measure and analyze data, and can also refer to a structure or support. They can impact studies by providing a specific perspective and influencing the design and methodology. There is a difference between a frame of reference and a frame of analysis, as the former refers to coordinates or assumptions while the latter refers to a specific perspective. Frames can be biased and it is important for scientists to be aware of their own biases and consider multiple frames. To change or adjust frames, scientists can consider alternative perspectives, different methods of measurement or analysis, and collaborate with others to challenge and broaden frames.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
First thanks everybody for discussion in previous thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/a-man-on-a-cart.870858/ This is a continuation of that topic. I will formulate another problem. I believe that the most suitable tool for this problem is the Lagrangian formalizm. But what do you think about elementary solution and usefulness of this problem in courses of general physics.

A frame consists of four thin homogeneous rods, all the rods are the same and have mass m. The tips of rods connected with each other by weightless ball joints A,B,C,D with no friction. This frame is shaped as square and rests on smooth horizontal table.
e0772c68abec.png

Then one begin to draw the joint A with the force F. The force is directed outside square along the diagonal AC.
Find the acceleration of the joint A right after the force started to act.

If you also estimate this problem is of UK GCE level I will cry :cry:

Science news on Phys.org
Hey wrobel.

What exactly are you trying to resolve? What quantities are you trying to estimate and solve for?

I think that using the Lagrangian formalism would definitely be the most appropriate approach for this problem. However, I also believe that finding an elementary solution could be useful in courses of general physics, as it allows for a deeper understanding of the concepts involved.

As for the problem itself, it seems like a great exercise in applying the principles of mechanics. I would approach it by first drawing a free body diagram of the frame and identifying all the forces acting on it. Then, using Newton's second law, I would write down the equations of motion for each joint and solve for the acceleration of joint A.

I'm not familiar with the UK GCE level, but I think this problem could be suitable for students at an intermediate level of physics. It requires a good understanding of basic mechanics principles, but it also introduces the concept of using Lagrangian formalism to solve problems. Overall, I think it's a challenging yet achievable problem that would be beneficial for students to tackle.

Related to Is Lagrangian Formalism the Best Approach for Analyzing Forces on a Frame?

1. What is a frame in science?

A frame in science refers to a reference point or system used to measure and analyze data or observations. It can also refer to a structure or support used to hold or contain something.

2. How do frames impact scientific studies?

Frames can impact scientific studies by providing a specific perspective or lens through which data is interpreted. They can also influence the design and methodology of a study.

3. What is the difference between a frame of reference and a frame of analysis?

A frame of reference is a set of coordinates or assumptions used to measure and interpret data, while a frame of analysis refers to the specific perspective or approach used to analyze the data within a given frame of reference.

4. Can frames be biased?

Yes, frames can be biased as they are often influenced by societal, cultural, and personal beliefs and values. It is important for scientists to be aware of their own biases and consider multiple frames when conducting research.

5. How can frames be changed or adjusted in scientific studies?

Framing can be changed or adjusted by considering alternative perspectives, using different methods of measurement or analysis, and being aware of any potential biases. Collaborating with other scientists can also help to challenge and broaden frames of reference and analysis.