A question about a uranium enricher plot device in a game

In summary, the conversation discusses the plot device of metallic archaea in the video game Metal Gear Solid V and the potential practicality and impact of such technology in real life. While it may seem like a valuable and game-changing invention, the cost and potential consequences must also be considered. The conversation also touches on the future of uranium enrichment and nuclear proliferation.
Adraasa Kynuei
Hi!

I am a big fan of science fiction, military fiction and all sorts of media covering this kind of topic. :smile:

So I have played Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and in it there is this plot device called metallic archaea that basically enriches uranium quite easily.

This invention modifies uranium at an atomic level allowing depleted uranium to be turned into weapons grade uranium.

You need 23,000 kilograms of depleted uranium to turn it into fifteen kilograms of weapons grade uranium producing a fifteen kiloton bomb.

The main antagonist of the game hopes to use this invention to saturate the world with cheap and easily available nuclear weaponry.

So with me being a bit analytical of all fiction I consume I decided to consult this forum about the practicality of this.

How cheap would this kind of technology actually be in real life, or would it still be prohibitively expensive?

I know this kind of thread might be a bit off from what you guys usually chat around here about but rest assured I will intend on chatting about more normal physics topics here later, so this won't be a common thing to be repeated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to look to science fiction for the future of uranium enrichment and nuclear proliferation. Laser-based isotope separation methods are likely to make uranium enrichment much cheaper, easier, and more accessible in the near future:
Estimates suggest that a laser-based uranium enrichment plant would have an initial cost, size, and power requirement about one-fifth that of an equivalent centrifuge-based enrichment plant. The operating cost would also be expected to be far smaller.
http://www.gizmag.com/silex-laser-enrichment-uranium/29460/

Hi there! First off, I just want to say that I also really enjoy science fiction and military fiction. It's always interesting to see how authors and creators incorporate real-life scientific concepts into their stories.

As for the metallic archaea in Metal Gear Solid V, it's definitely a fascinating plot device. In terms of its practicality in real life, it's hard to say for sure. On one hand, the idea of easily enriching uranium at an atomic level seems like it would be incredibly valuable and potentially game-changing in terms of nuclear weapons. However, there are also many factors to consider such as the cost of obtaining and producing the metallic archaea, as well as the potential risks and consequences of widespread nuclear warfare.

In terms of cost, it's likely that the technology would still be quite expensive. The process of enriching uranium is already a complex and expensive process, and adding in the use of metallic archaea would likely only increase those costs. Plus, as with any new technology, there would also be research and development costs to consider.

But in terms of its impact on the world, it's difficult to predict. While the idea of easily available nuclear weapons is certainly concerning, it's also possible that the existence of such technology could serve as a deterrent for countries to engage in nuclear warfare. It's a complex and thought-provoking topic for sure.

Thanks for bringing this up for discussion! I'm sure others here will have interesting insights and thoughts on the matter as well. And don't worry, it's always great to have a variety of topics to discuss on forums like this. Looking forward to chatting more with you about physics and other topics in the future!

1. What is a uranium enricher plot device?

A uranium enricher plot device is a fictional technology often used in games or stories to advance the plot. It is typically a machine or device that can enrich uranium, which is used to create nuclear weapons or energy.

2. How does a uranium enricher plot device work?

The specifics of how a uranium enricher plot device works can vary depending on the game or story. In general, it involves using advanced technology to separate and concentrate the fissile isotope of uranium, known as uranium-235, from the more abundant non-fissile isotope, uranium-238.

3. Why is a uranium enricher plot device used in games?

A uranium enricher plot device is often used in games as a way to introduce a high-stakes element to the story. The ability to enrich uranium and potentially create nuclear weapons or energy can add a sense of urgency and danger to the plot, making it more exciting for players.

4. Are uranium enricher plot devices based on real technology?

While the concept of uranium enrichment is based on real technology, the specific devices used in games are usually fictional. However, some games may draw inspiration from real-life enrichment methods, such as centrifuges or gaseous diffusion.

5. Can a uranium enricher plot device be used for peaceful purposes?

Although the plot device may be used for creating nuclear weapons in games, in reality, uranium enrichment can also be used for peaceful purposes, such as generating nuclear energy. However, the process is heavily regulated and monitored to prevent the production of nuclear weapons.