A question about derived functors

• Thread starter Jim Kata
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between adjoint functors and their derived categories, specifically in the case of ext^n and tor_n. It is mentioned that there is a theorem saying that if two adjoint functors in abelian categories, then their nth derived functors are also adjoint. However, there is some doubt about this in the case of tor_n. It is then mentioned that the Eilenberg-Watts theorem states that all right exact functors that preserve coproducts are naturally isomorphic to a tensor product functor. This is applied to the case of tor_n and it is shown how it can be proven to be adjoint in this way.
Jim Kata
Is it true that if two functors are adjoint, then their derived category functors are adjoint? I'm thinking in particular of ext^n and tor_n. The answer seems like it would be obviously yes to me, but I don't think I've seen it spelled out, and I am too lazy to try and prove it. Is there a theorem saying something like if F and G are adjoint functors in two abelien categories then there nth derived functors are also adjoint to one another.

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't think so, after a little reading on wikipedia. namely it says there that every left adjoint functor is right exact. but i seem to recall the only right exact functor that commutes with direct sums is tensor product, since tor also commutes with direct sums, it must not be right exact, hence not a left adjoint. does this seem ok?

Edit: Better answer above. My answer wasn't really applicable to the question because the theorem I quoted requires too many assumptions on the category being localized.

By the way, the theorem mathwonk mentioned which says that all right exact functors (at least functors between categories of modules) which preserve coproducts are naturally isomorphic to a tensor product functor is called the Eilenberg-Watts theorem if you are interested.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer mathwonk. It seems to work.

uh, yes, eilenberg watts, it goes something like this: write a module M as a quotient of free modules, i.e. direct sums of copies of the ring:

SUM(Ri)-->SUM(Rj)-->M-->0. then do two things: apply the functor F to this sequence, and then separately apply the functor F(R)tensor.

The two results are this: SUM(F(Ri))-->SUM(F(Rj))-->F(M)-->0, and SUM(F(Ri))-->SUM(F(Rj))-->F(R)tensorM-->0. (using the facts that both functors are right exact and commute with direct sums, and that F(R)tensorRi ≈ F(R) ≈ F(Ri), since we are tensoring over R≈Ri.)

Note the two sequences are the same at the left, so they are also the same at the right. I.e. F(M) and FG(R)tensorM are both quotients of the same two

modules, so at least if you believe the maps are the same, they are isomorphic.

Last edited:

Related to A question about derived functors

1. What are derived functors?

Derived functors are a concept in mathematics, specifically in the field of homological algebra. They are used to extend the notion of a functor beyond just exact sequences.

2. How are derived functors used in mathematics?

Derived functors are used to study algebraic and topological structures, such as modules, sheaves, and cohomology groups. They are also used in algebraic geometry and algebraic topology to prove theorems and make calculations.

3. What is the purpose of derived functors?

The main purpose of derived functors is to measure the failure of a functor to be exact. They also provide a way to construct new functors out of old ones, which can be useful in solving problems in algebra and topology.

4. Are derived functors difficult to understand?

Derived functors can be challenging to understand, as they require a solid background in algebraic and/or homological algebra. However, with dedication and practice, they can be mastered and applied effectively in mathematical research.

5. Can derived functors be applied to other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, derived functors have also been used in other fields such as physics, computer science, and statistics. They provide a powerful tool for analyzing and understanding complex systems and structures.