A question about different lens setups imaging a rotating stick

In summary: In summary:If i put a rotating stick behind lens of several types, so the stick center is behind the lens center, will the stick edges always appear to move at the same rate as areas closer to the stick center?If i put a rotating stick behind lens of several types, any possible lens will produce the same effect.What is "rate"? Angular velocity? Instantaneous or average over a cycle?What is the case for all the options that you have mentioned for main common types of lenses?I think he is trying to get you to make a better question, not volunteering to do it for you.What is the case for all the options that you have
roineust
If i put a rotating stick behind lens of several types, so the stick center is behind the lens center, will the stick edges always appear to move at the same rate as areas closer to the stick center?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
roineust said:
If i put a rotating stick behind lens of several types,
Any possible lens?

roineust said:
so the stick center is behind the lens center, will always the stick edges appear to move at the same rate as areas closer to the stick center?
What is "rate"? Angular velocity? Instantaneous or average over a cycle?

Likes roineust
A.T. said:
Any possible lens?What is "rate"? Angular velocity? Instantaneous or average over a cycle?

What is the case for all the options that you have mentioned for main common types of lenses?

Last edited:
I think he is trying to get you to make a better question, not volunteering to do it for you.

Likes Vanadium 50 and roineust
roineust said:
What is the case for all the options that you have mentioned and for all main different types of lenses?

By rate i mean, if there is always a straight line between the stick edge and the stick center.

Last edited:
roineust said:
What is the case for all the options that you have mentioned and for all main different types of lenses?

I think i recall from visual memory, that for a certain lens type, if you look from the side of the lens at the stick, you will see the stick as a curved line and more curved as the stick gets closer to the lens edge, even if the stick is not rotating, is that correct?

Last edited:
roineust said:
... even if the stick is not rotating...
So what's the point of the rotation?

Likes roineust
A.T. said:
So what's the point of the rotation?

Correct, my question is also about the rate: Does there exist a common lens type, in which the stick seems to be curved toward the edges when the stick is not rotating and/or seems to be more/same curved toward the edges as a result of rotation, be it when looking from the side or from the center axis?

Last edited:
roineust said:
Correct, my question is also about the rate: Does there exist a lens type, in which not only the stick does not appear to be straight, but it even seems to be more curved at the edge, as a result of rotation, be it when looking from the side or from the center axis?
Do you mean more curved than when not rotating at the same orientation? Are you asking about signal delay of the light rays due to the optical density of glass?

Likes roineust
A.T. said:
Do you mean more curved than when not rotating at the same orientation? Are you asking about signal delay of the light rays due to the optical density of glass?

I am asking about such a phenomenon existence twice, once as a result of only the density of glass and again as a result of only the geometry of of the lens.

Last edited:
roineust said:
I am asking about such a phenomenon existence twice, once as a result of only the density of glass and again as a result of only the geometry of the glass.
So no rotation then?

Likes roineust
A.T. said:
So no rotation then?

As a result of rotation and also when there is no rotation.

Last edited:
roineust said:
As a result of rotation and also when there is no rotation.
You already know that lenses can distort things. The rotation can create distortion due to different light travel times from different parts of the stick. But these are tiny non-noticeable effects at non-relativistic speeds.

Likes roineust
roineust said:
If i put a rotating stick behind lens of several types,
Here's another example of a question that's so open that it just can't be answered usefully. We all read it slightly differently and so we can all come up with different answers. Wouldn't a DIAGRAM or even a selection of ("several") diagrams help us all to be talking about the same thing that the OP had in mind?
For a start, what is the axis of rotation of the stick?

Likes roineust
sophiecentaur said:
Here's another example of a question that's so open that it just can't be answered usefully. We all read it slightly differently and so we can all come up with different answers. Wouldn't a DIAGRAM or even a selection of ("several") diagrams help us all to be talking about the same thing that the OP had in mind?
For a start, what is the axis of rotation of the stick?

Here is a diagram and the question is if such a phenomenon happens in lens, first with no stick rotation and then with stick rotation. The apparent stick (in blue) is curved in one direction, but the question is about such a possible distortion, also in the opposite direction. The question is also about possible rate change, of the apparent stick curvature (a distortion that changes in time).

Rotatong Stick 2.jpg

roineust said:
if such a phenomenon happens in lens, first with no stick rotation
Is the lens rotationally symmetrical around the view axis?

Likes roineust
A.T. said:
Is the lens rotationally symmetrical around the view axis?

Yes

roineust said:
Here is a diagram
Brilliant, thanks. As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words". Sorry to be grumpy.
We have to assume total symmetry of any lens.
I'm sure you would not expect any measurable distortion. Even without the lens, the distance to the eye from various parts of the rod will be different and you would actually see the ends of the rod with a longer delay to the middle of the rod (which is nearest). So what you see would be different images, separated by much less than 1ns. What sort of rotation rate would you need in order to get a measurable difference in angle? This is along the same lines as early methods of measuring c with a rotating wheel [Fizeau's method] but he used a path distance of 8km and a toothed wheel, rotating at hundreds of rpm.
Using a lens would make the effect even less because the thickness of the glass is, in fact arranged to make the delay along all paths the same, from object to image (which is why it focuses).

Last edited:
Likes roineust

1. How does the number of lenses affect the image of a rotating stick?

The number of lenses used in an imaging setup can affect the resulting image of a rotating stick in several ways. First, more lenses can provide a clearer and more detailed image by reducing distortions and aberrations. Additionally, the placement of the lenses can also affect the magnification and orientation of the image.

2. What is the best lens setup for capturing a clear image of a rotating stick?

The best lens setup for capturing a clear image of a rotating stick will depend on various factors such as the speed of rotation, distance from the stick, and desired level of detail. Generally, a setup with multiple lenses, including a high-quality lens with a fast shutter speed, can produce the clearest image.

3. Can a single lens setup effectively capture a rotating stick?

Yes, a single lens setup can effectively capture a rotating stick. However, the resulting image may have distortions and lower quality compared to a setup with multiple lenses. The use of a high-quality lens and adjusting the shutter speed can help improve the image quality.

4. How can I minimize motion blur when imaging a rotating stick?

Motion blur can be minimized by using a fast shutter speed, which will capture the image in a shorter amount of time and reduce the chances of capturing a blurred image. Additionally, using a tripod or stabilizing the camera can also help reduce motion blur.

5. Is it necessary to use specialized lenses for imaging a rotating stick?

While specialized lenses, such as telephoto lenses, can be beneficial for capturing a rotating stick, they are not always necessary. A setup with multiple standard lenses can also produce clear and detailed images. Experimenting with different lenses and settings can help determine the best setup for a specific situation.