A question about path orientation in Green's Theorem

In summary, when applying Green's Theorem in a non-simply-connected region, the orientation of the C curves must be such that the region D is always on the left of the curve as it is traversed. This is because in a simply connected region, the integral over the connecting line cancels out, but in a non-simply-connected region, this is not the case and the orientation must be adjusted accordingly. This can be visualized as walking along a path, circling the geometric center of the region and measuring the area to the left. Therefore, in a non-simply-connected region, the orientation must be reversed in order to accurately calculate the integral.
kostoglotov
So if we have a non-simply-connected region, like this one

fVoIlJb.png

to apply Green's Theorem we must orient the C curves so that the region D is always on the left of the curve as the curve is traversed.

Why is this? I have seen some proofs of Green's Theorem for simply connected regions, and I understand why going the opposite direction along a curve gives you the negative of a line integral.

I guess what I'm asking for is a little insight into what's happening here.

Can I imagine that I'm walking along some path, circling some geometric center of a region, measuring the region to my left and summing all the areas or the function values as I go along? So then I were to traverse C2 from the above diagram, I am subtracting instead of adding? So we then need to reverse the orientation?

I can accept the rules, the conditions and can read some proofs, but I don't feel like I understand it very well.

Thanks.

edit: it has something to do with what happens when we divide the region in two doesn't it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it has something to do with what happens when we divide the region in two doesn't it?
If you connect the two circles by a line L, you get a closed connected contour going once around the whole area (C1+L+C2-L), provided you orient C1 and C2 as you did i.e. relative to the bounded region. The integral over the connecting line cancels out since you travel it once in each direction, so the result follows from Green's formula for a simply connected region.

Likes HallsofIvy and Greg Bernhardt

Related to A question about path orientation in Green's Theorem

1. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical tool used to calculate line integrals in a plane. It relates a line integral around a simple closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve.

2. How is Green's Theorem used in science?

Green's Theorem is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and geology, to calculate the work done by a force along a closed path or the flow of a vector field through a closed curve.

3. What is path orientation in Green's Theorem?

Path orientation in Green's Theorem refers to the direction in which the path is traced along the closed curve. It is important to specify the direction in order to correctly evaluate the line integral.

4. Can Green's Theorem be applied to any closed curve?

No, Green's Theorem can only be applied to simple closed curves, which do not intersect themselves and have a well-defined inside and outside. It cannot be applied to curves with self-intersections or holes.

5. How is Green's Theorem related to the curl and divergence of a vector field?

Green's Theorem is closely related to the curl and divergence of a vector field. The line integral in Green's Theorem is equivalent to the scalar curl of the vector field, while the double integral is equivalent to the divergence of the vector field over the region enclosed by the curve.