A question about Star Trek's impulse drive

In summary, Star Trek starships have artificial gravity and inertial dampers, suggesting the ability to counteract gravity. However, despite the availability of anti-gravity technology, they use traditional fusion drives for slower-than-light travel. The reason for this is not specified, but it could be due to potential issues with anti-gravity thrusters such as interference with space-time or attraction to regular gravity sources. In the show, there are mentions of anti-gravity thrusters, but it is not a commonly used technology. One possible explanation is that using anti-gravity thrusters would reveal the ship's location to potential enemies. It is also mentioned that modifying inertial dampers can create an anti-gravity drive. However, this technology does not
GW150914
We all know that starships in Star Trek have artificial gravity. They also have inertial damper. Therefore, we can conclude that they have the ability to counteract gravity.
However, as those technical manuals of Star Trek tell us, starships are using impulse drives for slower-than-light travels, and those impulse drives are traditional fusion drives which use reacting forces to create thrust.
Now here's my question: since we have the ability to create anti-gravity field, why not use anti-gravity thrusters instead of those fusion drives? Anti-gravity thrusters are much more agile than normal thrusters, obviously.

Physics news on Phys.org
GW150914 said:
Now here's my question: since we have the ability to create anti-gravity field, why not use anti-gravity thrusters instead of those fusion drives? Anti-gravity thrusters are much more agile than normal thrusters, obviously.

I'm not aware of any rules or laws regarding the operational principles of anti-gravity thrusters, so I can't say anything on that subject. Perhaps it causes problems in the metric of space-time, or time-travel paradoxes between the thruster manifolds and the food replicators. Perhaps an anti-gravity thruster would actually still be attracted towards a regular source of gravity, which is the complete opposite of what one might expect. Maybe an anti-gravity thruster only works when near a very large mass like a planet or a star (which may or may not be effective for interplanetary travel). Who knows?

The real answer, of course, is that the creators of Star Trek simply decided that their thrusters are fusion drives that obey known laws (when the plot allows) instead of anti-gravity thrusters. Maybe they wanted to keep some semblance of real science in their technical manuals.

Likes Ryan_m_b
Drakkith said:
I'm not aware of any rules or laws regarding the operational principles of anti-gravity thrusters, so I can't say anything on that subject. Perhaps it causes problems in the metric of space-time, or time-travel paradoxes between the thruster manifolds and the food replicators. Perhaps an anti-gravity thruster would actually still be attracted towards a regular source of gravity, which is the complete opposite of what one might expect. Maybe an anti-gravity thruster only works when near a very large mass like a planet or a star (which may or may not be effective for interplanetary travel). Who knows?

The real answer, of course, is that the creators of Star Trek simply decided that their thrusters are fusion drives that obey known laws (when the plot allows) instead of anti-gravity thrusters. Maybe they wanted to keep some semblance of real science in their technical manuals.
What is strange, however, is that in Star Trek Voyager, there're some episodes in which Captain Janeway mentioned anti-gravity thrusters, especially when Voyager was trying to land on a planet's surface.
Besides, a few modification on inertial damper can create a nice anti-gravity drive, and inertial dampers aren't affecting food replicators, as I can tell!

GW150914 said:
What is strange, however, is that in Star Trek Voyager, there're some episodes in which Captain Janeway mentioned anti-gravity thrusters, especially when Voyager was trying to land on a planet's surface.

I'm not sure what to tell you. Are you trying to find an in-universe reason they don't use anti-gravity thrusters?

I have a hypothesis. The effects of a nuclear engine would radiate away from the ship at the speed of light, so if you're using an impulse engine at Alpha Centauri, it'd take 4 years for anyone in Earth orbit to detect it. Maybe those anti-gravity forces are in subspace. Subspace has a causal velocity way faster than light. No matter what you do, you are broadcasting your position. If the Borg are listening for particle emissions from a nuclear engine, by the time they hear you, years will have past. If you're screwing with subspace fields and they're listening, resistance would be futile.

Likes Stephanus

Related to A question about Star Trek's impulse drive

What is Star Trek's impulse drive?

The impulse drive is a propulsion system used in the Star Trek universe that allows spacecrafts to travel at sublight speeds, typically for short distances and within a solar system.

How does the impulse drive work?

The exact mechanics of the impulse drive are not fully explained in the Star Trek canon, but it is believed to use a form of plasma or ion propulsion technology to generate thrust and propel the spacecraft forward.

How fast can the impulse drive go?

The maximum speed of the impulse drive varies depending on the type and size of the spacecraft. In the Star Trek universe, it is generally accepted that the impulse drive can reach speeds of up to 0.25 times the speed of light.

What are the advantages of using the impulse drive?

The impulse drive is much faster than conventional rockets, making it useful for short distance travel within a solar system. It also does not require as much fuel as other propulsion systems, allowing for longer missions without refueling.

Are there any limitations to the impulse drive?

While the impulse drive is efficient for short distance travel, it is not suitable for interstellar travel. It also cannot achieve speeds faster than light, making it unsuitable for long distance journeys. Additionally, the impulse drive can be affected by gravitational forces and obstacles in space, causing it to slow down or change course.