A question on palindromic primes

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primes
In summary, the conversation is about the discovery of palindromic primes and the observation that all but 11 out of the first 100,000 primes with an even number of digits are composite. The person is seeking help in understanding the reason for this and if there is a proof to show that 11 is the only even-digited palindromic prime.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
So just for fun, I decided to look for a list of palindromic primes, that is, primes that when in base 10 representation are the same whether backward or forward. 1003001, just to give an example. I quickly noticed something striking: Other than 11, every palindromic prime out of the first 100,000 primes had an odd number of digits! Naturally, I wondered just why this was, but not being a number theorist, I cannot for the life of me figure out why without help.

So with that, I must ask: Can you help me understand just why 4 and 6 digit palindromic numbers, as a rule, are composite? Does a reason even exist in the first place? And finally, can a proof be made to show that 11 is the only even-digited palindromic prime?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Borek said:

Haha, whoops. Shame on me indeed. If I'm allowed an excuse, I'd like to put forth the one that says I'm on mobile.

Related to A question on palindromic primes

What is a palindromic prime?

A palindromic prime is a number that is both a prime number (only divisible by 1 and itself) and a palindrome (reads the same backward and forward).

What is the smallest palindromic prime?

The smallest palindromic prime is 2, as it is the only even prime number and the only single-digit palindrome.

How many palindromic primes are there?

There are infinitely many palindromic primes, but they become increasingly rare as the number of digits increases.

Can a palindromic prime have an even number of digits?

Yes, a palindromic prime can have an even number of digits, such as 11, 101, or 13131.

Are all palindromic numbers prime?

No, not all palindromic numbers are prime. Only palindromic numbers that are also prime are considered palindromic primes.