A science forum which does not allow proper method?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter Menaus
  • Start date
In summary: Your post here is some kind of conspiracy theory that claims that professional scientists are very defensive of their theories and that they do not welcome new ideas. Such opinions are not welcome on this forum.We believe in well-thought out, INFORMED ideas, not random, made-up, thoughts devoid of actual understanding of the physics required. We do not condone speculative discussion such as those, which you should already know when you agreed to abide by the PF Rules.
Menaus
I made a post in the thread "Can time really be slowed?", talking about my idea that time is only part of our imagination.

I received a warning.

I made a post in the thread "Who said the fourth Dimension has to be time?", talking about my opinion of the nonsensicality of dimensional theories.

I received a infraction.

I was told they do not tolerate "anti-science comments like this". Tell me, what is anti-science about it? One of the MAIN IDEAS of science is to reason, rationalize, and critisize theories. Here I see censorship, with no room to think freely, this forum itself is the very anti-science that it does not allow.

One should be allowed to give their own critisisms on theories and ideas; how can science move forward unless it is kept checked and balanced by critisization? What is peer-review? Some would say that only the 'experts' can peer-review, but these 'experts' have grown up all their lives, puting tons of money into being educated in the standard model, how else will they react when someone critiques it? There is a bias which exists towards the standard model which disallowed any sort of growth, and this is why physics has become so stagnant (compared to, say, the 1940s) since the 1980s; with the exception of the Higgs, what major discovery has been made?

I believe that those who want to give their ideas ought to do so, otherwise you undermind one of the main ideas of science.

Physics news on Phys.org
When doing science, then giving and accepting criticism is very important. I agree that in order to advance science, you need to reason through some ideas and criticize the ideas.

However, what you seem to miss is that this forum is not meant to advance science. We are not a forum for professional scientists who wish to discuss their new theory. We are a forum that wishes to discuss mainstream science. We want to help students with their science homework and we wish to help them in their studies. Therefore, we welcome only opinions that are mainstream science.

Yes, there is a significant amount of censorship on this forum. This censorship ensures that no crackpottery is discussed.

Your post here is some kind of conspiracy theory that claims that professional scientists are very defensive of their theories and that they do not welcome new ideas. Such opinions are not welcome on this forum.

We believe in well-thought out, INFORMED ideas, not random, made-up, thoughts devoid of actual understanding of the physics required. We do not condone speculative discussion such as those, which you should already know when you agreed to abide by the PF Rules.

This is like someone walking into a vegetarian restaurant and complaining that they don't serve steak!

Complaints such as this has been addressed ad nauseum in this Feedback forum. You're welcome to see the responses that had already been given. My opinion and response to something like this has been perfectly clear:

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=2979

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Menaus said:
One should be allowed to give their own critisisms on theories and ideas;
No, only those qualified should be allowed to critique.

You aren't even making any sense. People without the appropriate background cannot possibly critique what they do not understand. There is absolutely no value in random people spewing out irrelevant ideas.

1. What are the consequences of not allowing proper methods in a science forum?

The consequences of not allowing proper methods in a science forum can include the spread of misinformation, lack of credibility and trust in the forum, and hindrance to scientific progress. Without proper methods, the information presented may not be reliable or accurate, leading to confusion and potentially harmful decisions.

2. How can a science forum ensure proper methods are being used?

A science forum can ensure proper methods are being used by implementing strict guidelines and regulations for posting and sharing information. This can include requiring sources and evidence to support claims, peer-review processes, and monitoring by moderators to ensure adherence to scientific standards.

3. What role do proper methods play in the scientific process?

Proper methods are essential in the scientific process as they provide a systematic and objective approach to conducting research and obtaining reliable results. They help to ensure that experiments and studies are conducted ethically and with accuracy, leading to valid and trustworthy conclusions.

4. Can a science forum still be valuable without allowing proper methods?

A science forum may still have value without allowing proper methods, as it can serve as a platform for discussion and sharing of ideas. However, the information presented may not be reliable or scientifically sound, and the forum may not be viewed as a credible source for information.

5. What are some examples of proper methods in scientific research?

Some examples of proper methods in scientific research include formulating testable hypotheses, designing controlled experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and peer-reviewing results. Additionally, following ethical guidelines and accurately reporting findings are crucial components of proper methods in scientific research.