A simple question about reversible heat

In summary: He thinks time could be replaced by entropy variation ΔS of a system (or with ΔS/m, m = system's mass), for example the ΔS of a specific amount of liquid water heated of a specific ΔT. I objected that, in case, an increment of time could have "something to do" with the universe's ΔS, and that of a finite system (like the said water) has no relation with the universe's ΔS (the last one, for example, can be made almost zero for an almost perfectly reversible system).But I know the real problem is the fact I would like to convince those kind of people about the stupid things they write...
lightarrow
Is it possible to heat a specific amount of liquid water, say 1kg, (at 1 atm), let's say from 20°C to 21°C, without changing the universe's entropy?
(Sorry but I have a little blackout on simple thermodynamics...)

--
lightarrow

Science news on Phys.org
Ideally, yes. In reality, only approximately.

Chestermiller said:
Ideally, yes. In reality, only approximately.
Ok. Ideally how would you do, for example?

--
lightarrow

Is this a homework problem?

Chestermiller said:
Is this a homework problem?
Not at all.

--
lightarrow

lightarrow said:
Not at all.

--
lightarrow
The problem is I am discussing with someone with very strange ideas about time: he says it doesn't exist :smile:
He thinks time could be replaced by entropy variation ΔS of a system (or with ΔS/m, m = system's mass), for example the ΔS of a specific amount of liquid water heated of a specific ΔT. I objected that, in case, an increment of time could have "something to do" with the universe's ΔS, and that of a finite system (like the said water) has no relation with the universe's ΔS (the last one, for example, can be made almost zero for an almost perfectly reversible system).
But I know the real problem is the fact I would like to convince those kinds of people about the stupid things they write...

--
lightarrow

Since the entropy of the universe can only get larger it is often argued that it is an indicator of the direction of time. However I think your friend goes too far when he argues that it is equivalent to time, and I think you have the right argument in showing an event that has a direction in time and yet does not change the entropy of the universe.

Unfortunately it is hard to construct real world change that absolutely positively has no effect on the entropy of the universe. You can always find some little bit of friction somewhere or something. Otherwise a pendulum swinging in a vacuum would be a particularly apropos counter example.

Even if you come up with a good example he'll just say it is the entropy of the whole universe that creates time and any isolated experiment can't change the march of entropy.

Cutter Ketch said:
Since the entropy of the universe can only get larger it is often argued that it is an indicator of the direction of time. However I think your friend goes too far when he argues that it is equivalent to time, and I think you have the right argument in showing an event that has a direction in time and yet does not change the entropy of the universe.

Unfortunately it is hard to construct real world change that absolutely positively has no effect on the entropy of the universe. You can always find some little bit of friction somewhere or something. Otherwise a pendulum swinging in a vacuum would be a particularly apropos counter example.
Thanks.
Even if you come up with a good example he'll just say it is the entropy of the whole universe that creates time and any isolated experiment can't change the march of entropy.
Infact it's what he did :-)
But processes like that, or others which he would use to model a clock, can be made with different entropy variations; I mean, let's take a pendulum: if frictions are small, every single oscillation will be associated with a small entropy variation; if frictions are large, so would be entropy variation: the period of oscillation would be different in the two cases? It seems ridiculous to me.
Regards.

--
lightarrow

Likes Cutter Ketch

1. What is reversible heat?

Reversible heat refers to a thermodynamic process in which heat energy is transferred between a system and its surroundings in a reversible manner, meaning that the system can return to its initial state without any loss of energy.

2. How is reversible heat different from irreversible heat?

Irreversible heat transfer involves a loss of energy due to friction, turbulence, or other irreversible processes, causing the system to not be able to return to its initial state. Reversible heat transfer, on the other hand, occurs without any loss of energy.

3. What are some examples of reversible heat transfer?

Some common examples of reversible heat transfer include heat exchange in a closed thermodynamic system, such as a refrigerator or heat pump, and reversible chemical reactions that involve heat transfer.

4. What is the significance of reversible heat in thermodynamics?

Reversible heat transfer is important in thermodynamics because it allows for the study of idealized processes, which can help in understanding the behavior of real-world systems. It also helps in the development of more efficient and sustainable energy systems.

5. How is reversible heat related to entropy?

Reversible heat transfer is closely related to entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In reversible heat transfer, the change in entropy is zero since the system can return to its initial state without any change in energy. This concept is known as the reversible heat theorem.