A System is the transfer of energy between two mediums?

In summary: Result "C" shows 0 Btu/min energy...the boiler is not working at all.In Summary, the system in Result "A" is performing as designed, while the system in Result "B" is not performing as designed.
wrenchtime
Can a system be defined as the transfer of energy between two mediums?

An example of this approach is the Rankine cycle for a power plant (water and steam cycle)
This cycle would be defined by four systems.

System 1 (boiler feed pump)
Energy released by boiler feed pump…...Energy added to water

System 2 (boiler)
Energy released by boiler…...Energy added to water to make steam

System 3 turbine)
Energy added to the turbine …...Energy released by the steam

System 4 (condenser)
Energy added to the condenser…. Energy released by the steam

A system is required for each energy gain or loss in the water/steam.
This includes devices (turbine) and the surroundings (uninsulated pipe)

This cycle is a network of systems with a common medium
Each system need to meet the laws of thermodynamics.

Take care of yourself and your family

Science news on Phys.org
wrenchtime said:
Can a system be defined as the transfer of energy between two mediums?
Yes. Anything can be defined as anything.
But in a given context definitions have to make sense to be meaningful for others working in that context.
In thermodynamics it is not customary to define a system as the transfer of energy between two media

##\ ##

Likes Philip Koeck, berkeman, phinds and 1 other person
Thanks for the response

One benefit to my approach is to account for all the energy losses to the surroundings or the energy usage by a source typically required in the real world applications. The goal was to tie a thermodynamic system to the laws of thermodynamics (rules of energy).

Also, it simplifiies the definition of a thermodynamic system.
Below is wikipedia's definition

A thermodynamic system is a body of matter and/or radiation, confined in space by walls, with defined permeabilities, which separate it from its surroundings. The surroundings may include other thermodynamic systems, or physical systems that are not thermodynamic systems. A wall of a thermodynamic system may be purely notional, when it is described as being 'permeable' to all matter, all radiation, and all forces. A state of a thermodynamic system can be fully described in several different ways, by several different sets of thermodynamic state variables.

I think wikipedia's definition may be difficult for someone to understand.

wrenchtime said:
Thanks for the response

One benefit to my approach is to account for all the energy losses to the surroundings or the energy usage by a source typically required in the real world applications. The goal was to tie a thermodynamic system to the laws of thermodynamics (rules of energy).

Also, it simplifiies the definition of a thermodynamic system.
Below is wikipedia's definition

A thermodynamic system is a body of matter and/or radiation, confined in space by walls, with defined permeabilities, which separate it from its surroundings. The surroundings may include other thermodynamic systems, or physical systems that are not thermodynamic systems. A wall of a thermodynamic system may be purely notional, when it is described as being 'permeable' to all matter, all radiation, and all forces. A state of a thermodynamic system can be fully described in several different ways, by several different sets of thermodynamic state variables.

I think wikipedia's definition may be difficult for someone to understand.
I would say there are some minimum requirements for a system:
It has to be possible to transfer heat to or from the system or the system has to be able to do work on the surroundings or vice versa or the system has to have some defined energy, which can change or stay the same.
Thermodynamics is about working out how these various energies and energy flows are related to each other.
The important message: The energies themselves are not systems.
A system is something that receives, gives off and/or contains energy.

Likes Lnewqban and vanhees71
Thank you for your feedback

Let me rephrase it in a different way with an example.
I have system that contains two mediums "A" and "B".
Assume medium "A" has a higher energy level than medium "B
The system is the transfer of energy from medium "A" to medium "B"
From medium "B" viewpoint it received energy either by work, heat or rotational energy.

This system must follow the laws of thermodynamics.
The change in energy loss from medium "A" must equal the energy gained medium "B"
1st law...energy can not be created or destroyed
The energy gained from medium "B" can"t be used to replace the energy loss from medium "A"
2nd law ...no perpetual motion.

The benefits with this approach may be seen using the boiler from original Rankine cycle example.
Image the boiler has two systems.
System 1 Boiler to water
System 2 Boiler to surrounding (air around the boiler)

Below are three different energy results from the two systems
A. system 1 @ 100 Btu/min system 2 @ 0 Btu/min (Boiler well insulated)
B. system 1 @ 85 Btu/min system 2 @ 15 Btu/min (Boiler NOT insulated)
C. system 1 @ 85 Btu/min system 2 @ 0 Btu/min (Boiler well insulated)

Result "A" shows both systems performing per design
Result "B" shows 15 Btu/min energy loss to the surroundings from poor insulation
Result "C" shows a poor performing boiler at 85 Btu/min instead of 100 Btu/min

It is important to distinguish between poor performing equipment or poor insulation.

Philip Koeck said:
A system is something that receives, gives off and/or contains energy.
Agreed. Or perhaps information (although I suppose one cannot have one without the other...and I am too ignorant to really understand).

wrenchtime said:
The system is the transfer of energy
We are not making much progress here. Abundant use of the word 'system' without much clarity about the meaning.

##\ ##

Likes russ_watters
wrenchtime said:
Let me rephrase it in a different way with an example.
I have system that contains two mediums "A" and "B".
Assume medium "A" has a higher energy level than medium "B
The system is the transfer of energy from medium "A" to medium "B"
Two things:
It doesn't make sense to redefine words, as several other colleagues have also pointed out.
The definition of system in your quote from Wikipedia is perfectly fine, I would say.
An energy transfer is not a system.
An energy transfer is an energy transfer and it makes no sense to give it a new name.
The only thing you will achieve is that nobody understands.

Second point:
If medium A has more energy than B (more inner energy, let's say), that doesn't mean that energy flows from A to B.
There's no direct connection between the relative amount of energy in two systems and the direction of transfer.
Not even the energy density of A and B will tell you which way the transfer will go.

Likes vanhees71 and BvU
Thank you for the feedback

I must be missing the point using my definition of a system which is
"A System is the transfer of energy between two mediums."

Could you explain what the system is in my boiler example using the wikipedia's definition.
Also how to define performance issues using your approach.

A thermodynamic system is a body of matter and/or radiation, confined in space by walls, with defined permeabilities, which separate it from its surroundings.

What part of this is difficult to understand? You definition is different and therefore inappropriate and incorrect. Do not use it.

Likes gleem and vanhees71
I will not use it if you...

Could you explain what the system is in my boiler example using the wikipedia's definition.
Also how to define performance issues using your approach.

It is wrong for the reason I stated. If you wish to make up definitions that is your prerogative.
If you have a specific substantive question, I will be happy to help. My "approach" is known as classical thermodynamics and I cannot claim it.

Likes russ_watters
wrenchtime said:
I will not use it if you...

In the Rankine cycle, which is an idealization of a steam engine, the most obvious system is the water that's evaporated and recondensed as it cycles round and round.
I'm far from an expert, though. I just googled it. Here's an example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankine_cycle

The surrounding is hot (the fire) for the evaporation part of the cycle and cold (air cooling) for the condensation part.

Can't tell you about performance issues. I guess that's quite technical and must depend on the exact heat engine you are considering.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
So, the water cycle of the Rankine cycle is the system.
Therefore the
Energy used by the boiler feed pump
Energy used to heat the water in the boiler
Energy released to the turbine
Energy released in the condenser to cool the water

Are the surrounding?

wrenchtime said:
So, the water cycle of the Rankine cycle is the system.
Therefore the
Energy used by the boiler feed pump
Energy used to heat the water in the boiler
Energy released to the turbine
Energy released in the condenser to cool the water

Are the surrounding?
Edit: Maybe a typo in your text. Yes, the water (alternatingly liquid and vapor) is the system (not the water cycle).

Everything that heats the water and cools the steam and also the pump is part of the surroundings.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd

1. What is a system?

A system is a set of interconnected components that work together to achieve a specific function or goal.

2. How is energy transferred between two mediums in a system?

Energy can be transferred between two mediums in a system through various mechanisms such as conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction involves the transfer of energy through direct contact between the two mediums, while convection involves the transfer of energy through the movement of fluids. Radiation, on the other hand, involves the transfer of energy through electromagnetic waves.

3. What are the two types of systems?

The two types of systems are open systems and closed systems. In an open system, energy and matter can be exchanged with the surroundings, while in a closed system, only energy can be exchanged.

4. How does the transfer of energy affect the behavior of a system?

The transfer of energy between two mediums in a system can affect the behavior of the system in various ways. It can cause changes in temperature, pressure, and other physical properties, leading to changes in the overall state and behavior of the system.

5. What are some real-world examples of systems that involve the transfer of energy between two mediums?

Some common examples of systems that involve the transfer of energy between two mediums are a refrigerator (where energy is transferred from the inside to the outside to keep the food cold), a car engine (where energy from fuel is transferred to mechanical energy to power the car), and a solar panel (where energy from sunlight is transferred to electrical energy).