About collimation in Czerny-Turner spectrometers

Rigelleo
Goodmorning,
I'm designing an unfolded Czerny-Turner spectrometer like the one in picture

1702628986323.png

I'm trying to use toroidal mirrors to decrease off axis astigmatism.
In my first try i made an optimal off-axis collimator (Mirror 1), a mirror that has a good collimation in both the planes: the plane of the layout that you can see in the picture and the plane perpendicolar to this layout. This solution decreases astigmatism in both the grating and the detector but since there are few degrees of freedom avaiable by using only two mirrors (even if they are toroidal) to archieve two goals i still have some astigmatism on the detector.

After that i am wondering if it is really necessary to collimate in the second plane, if it is really necessary to compensate astigmatism on the grating.
In the simulations with Zemax I noticed that by changing more the transverse radius of curvature of the toroidal collimating mirror I can reduce astigmatism more efficiently, but this happens by sacrificing collimation on this plane, in this plane (the one perpendicular to the plane of the layout) the rays they come out of the collimator slightly convergent.
I was wondering if this could be a problem, my first impression is that it shouldn't be a problem because in grating equation the angle of incidence is the component on the plane of the layout.

Is this reasoning correct? Am I missing something?

Best regards

Likes Drakkith
Science news on Phys.org
In Czerny-Turner spectrometer one wavelength in a middle of spectral range can be balanced for coma aberration. Coma would change the sign at balanced wavelength passing zero value. I would not struggle with astigmatism, just adding a defocus it is possible to get one of astigmatism focies making the best sharpness across the slit. Sharpness along slit is not important.

1. What is collimation in a Czerny-Turner spectrometer?

Collimation in a Czerny-Turner spectrometer refers to the process of aligning the light beam entering the spectrometer to be parallel and focused before it reaches the entrance slit. This ensures that the light passing through the spectrometer is at a consistent angle, resulting in accurate and precise measurements.

2. Why is collimation important in Czerny-Turner spectrometers?

Collimation is important in Czerny-Turner spectrometers because it helps to minimize the effects of aberrations, such as spherical and chromatic aberrations, which can distort the spectral data. It also ensures that the light entering the spectrometer is at a consistent angle, which is necessary for accurate and reliable measurements.

3. How is collimation achieved in Czerny-Turner spectrometers?

Collimation in Czerny-Turner spectrometers is achieved by using a collimating lens or mirror to focus the light beam before it reaches the entrance slit. This lens or mirror is positioned at a specific distance from the entrance slit, known as the collimation distance, which is determined by the design of the spectrometer. The collimating element must be carefully aligned to ensure accurate collimation.

4. What are the potential sources of error in collimation in Czerny-Turner spectrometers?

The potential sources of error in collimation in Czerny-Turner spectrometers include misalignment of the collimating element, imperfections in the collimating element, and variations in the light source or entrance slit size. These errors can result in inconsistent or inaccurate measurements, so it is important to regularly check and adjust the collimation in spectrometers.

5. Can collimation be adjusted in Czerny-Turner spectrometers?

Yes, collimation can be adjusted in Czerny-Turner spectrometers. This can be done by changing the position of the collimating element or by adjusting the collimation distance. It is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions and use precise measurement techniques to ensure accurate collimation in spectrometers.