About dimension of vector space

In summary, the conversation was about the concept of dimension in a vector space and how it relates to the number of elements in a basis. The dimension of a space refers to the number of parameters needed to fully describe the space. A vector space generally has an infinite number of elements of a particular form, but a basis for that space can consist of a finite number of elements. The dimension of a vector space can also be affected by the number of rows and columns in a matrix, but it is ultimately determined by the number of linearly independent vectors in a basis.
toforfiltum
I'm confused about this. I know that if the dimension of the vector space is say, 2, then there will be 2 elements, right? eg. ##
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1
\end{array}
\right)##
What I want to know is if the dimension of vector space is still two if the matrix is like this:
##\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\0 & -1\\
5 & 4
\end{array}
\right)##

The dimensions depend on the elements, and it is shown by columns, not rows?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
toforfiltum said:
I'm confused about this. I know that if the dimension of the vector space is say, 2, then there will be 2 elements, right?
A vector space generally has an infinite number of elements.

Could you be confused about a set of vectors that is a basis for a vector space?
oforfiltum said:
eg. ##
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1
\end{array}
\right)##
What is the above supposed to represent? As you wrote it, it is a matrix, and so has very little to do with a vector space of dimension 2.

The vector space of 2 x 2 matrices has dimension 4.
oforfiltum said:
What I want to know is if the dimension of vector space is still two if the matrix is like this:
##\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\0 & -1\\
5 & 4
\end{array}
\right)##

The dimensions depend on the elements, and it is shown by columns, not rows?
Thanks!

Mark44 said:
Yes, but the vector space consists of infinite elements of that particular form, right? And are elements of the second form of matrix included in the same vector space as that of the first?

Mark44 said:
I don't understand. What does dimension really mean? If the dimension of vector space is 3, must there be 3 rows in a matrix of all the elements? Like the vectors i, j and k in 3D space. I am really confused.

And to confirm, if the dimension of a vector space is 2, then there must be only 2 elements, is it? I really don't know. Is the basis in this form:
##
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1
\end{array}
\right)## or this form:

##
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\0 & -1\\
5 & 4
\end{array}
\right)##
Are both correct? If not, why? I'm very confused.

toforfiltum said:
I'm confused about this. I know that if the dimension of the vector space is say, 2, then there will be 2 elements, right? eg. ##
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1
\end{array}
\right)##The dimensions depend on the elements, and it is shown by columns, not rows?
Thanks!

Which are the two elements you are referring to here? Is it the entries in the matrix? If so, which? If the dimension is 2, then a basis will have two elements. What vector space are you referring to here?

toforfiltum said:
Yes, but the vector space consists of infinite elements of that particular form, right? And are elements of the second form of matrix included in the same vector space as that of the first?I don't understand. What does dimension really mean? If the dimension of vector space is 3, must there be 3 rows in a matrix of all the elements? Like the vectors i, j and k in 3D space. I am really confused.

And to confirm, if the dimension of a vector space is 2, then there must be only 2 elements, is it? I really don't know. Is the basis in this form:
##
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1
\end{array}
\right)## or this form:

##
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\0 & -1\\
5 & 4
\end{array}
\right)##
Dimension of a space roughly refers to the number of parameters needed to fully describe the space. The line y=x+3 is one-dimensional because a single parameter x fully determines y ( although strictly speaking, this line is not a vector space)

WWGD said:
Which are the two elements you are referring to here? Is it the entries in the matrix? If so, which? If the dimension is 2, then a basis will have two elements. What vector space are you referring to here?
2D vector space? Can the basis that have 2 elements have 3 rows? Or must it strictly be 2 rows?

Mark44 said:
toforfiltum said:
Yes, but the vector space consists of infinite elements of that particular form, right?
What particular form? A vector space of dimension two can have many different forms. For example, a vector space could be a subspace of a higher dimension space.
toforfiltum said:
And are elements of the second form of matrix included in the same vector space as that of the first?
No, not at all, if I understand what you're trying to say (which isn't very clear). Your second matrix is 3 x 2. Its columns are vectors in ##\mathbb{R}^3##, a space of dimension 3.
Mark44 said:
toforfiltum said:
I don't understand. What does dimension really mean? If the dimension of vector space is 3, must there be 3 rows in a matrix of all the elements? Like the vectors i, j and k in 3D space. I am really confused.
Forget the matrices, which are just clouding the issue. The dimension of a space equals the number of vectors that make up a basis for that space. If you're studying vector spaces, you must have come across the term basis. Look up its definition.

A vector in, say, ##\mathbb{R}^3## can be written in a couple of different ways -- such a 3i + 5j - 6k or as <3, 5, -6>, omitting the unit vectors i, j, and k. I prefer the latter form, as it's easier to write.
toforfiltum said:
And to confirm, if the dimension of a vector space is 2, then there must be only 2 elements, is it?
Again, no. There are generally an infinite number of elements. A basis can contain only two elements though, and they have to be linearly independent, and they have to span the space. Both these terms are precisely defined. Please look them up.
toforfiltum said:
I really don't know. Is the basis in this form:
##
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1
\end{array}
\right)## or this form:

##
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\0 & -1\\
5 & 4
\end{array}
\right)##
They should not be written as matrices.
The set of vectors ##\{ \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}, \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ -1 \end{bmatrix}\}## make up a basis for ##\mathbb{R}^2##, the plane. The dimension of this space (the plane) is two.

The set of vectors ##\{ \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 5 \end{bmatrix}, \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ -1 \\4 \end{bmatrix}\}## make up a basis for a two-dimensional subspace of ##\mathbb{R}^3##. IOW, they are a basis for a plane in three dimensional space. The dimension of this subspace is two, but the vectors are three-dimensional vectors.

Related to About dimension of vector space

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical concept that describes a set of objects, called vectors, which can be added together and multiplied by scalars (numbers). These operations must follow specific rules, such as closure, associativity, and distributivity, in order for the set to be considered a vector space.

What is the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is the number of vectors in a basis for the space. A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire space. In other words, any vector in the space can be written as a unique combination of the basis vectors. The dimension is usually denoted by the letter "n" and is a positive integer.

How is the dimension related to the number of vectors in a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is equal to the number of vectors in a basis for that space. This means that if a vector space has a dimension of n, then there exists a basis with n vectors. Conversely, if a space has a basis with n vectors, then the dimension of the space is also n.

What is the significance of the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is an important property that helps us understand the structure and properties of the space. It tells us how many independent directions or components are needed to describe a vector in that space. In addition, the dimension can help us determine the size and complexity of the space, as well as its relationship to other vector spaces.

Can a vector space have more than one dimension?

Yes, a vector space can have any positive integer as its dimension. This means that a vector space can have more than one basis, each with a different number of vectors. For example, a vector space with a dimension of 3 can have a basis with 3 vectors, as well as a basis with 2 or 4 vectors. However, each basis will have the same number of vectors, as that is the definition of dimension.