About filled gas inside a Geiger Muller meter

• Thread starter aznsaiyan1029
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Meter
In summary: They seemed to work fine but we replaced the gas every 6 months or so because it leaked from the probe.
aznsaiyan1029
Hi,

I have a dumb question about the filled gas inside a Geiger Muller meter. I know it is considered as a gas detector. It requires a filled and quench gas for the probe. My question is: where does the gas get injected into for like a pancake probe. (Let's use Ludlum Model: 44-9 as example). How often do you have to refill the gas in the probe. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
aznsaiyan1029 said:
How often do you have to refill the gas in the probe. Thanks.

as far as I'm aware, as with any other G-M type tubes ( who-ever the manufacturer), they are factory gassed and sealed.
there shouldn't be any leakage. If the tube is damaged and it leaks, then you are in for a replacement tube

neither of my 2 detector tubes are regassableDave

Likes aznsaiyan1029
aznsaiyan1029 said:
Hi,

I have a dumb question about the filled gas inside a Geiger Muller meter. I know it is considered as a gas detector. It requires a filled and quench gas for the probe. My question is: where does the gas get injected into for like a pancake probe. (Let's use Ludlum Model: 44-9 as example). How often do you have to refill the gas in the probe. Thanks.
One may have to contact the manufacturer. I suspect one would have to return the pancake detector to Ludlum.

The 44-9 is described as a halogen quenched GM detector.
http://ludlums.com/images/stories/data_sheets/M44-9.pdf

Fill Gas

The pressure of the gas inside the GM detector is usually a few tenths of an atmosphere. By reducing the pressure below atmospheric, the strength of the electric field necessary to reach the Geiger-Mueller region, and hence the required operating voltage, is lowered. The reduced pressure also increases the drift velocity of the positive ions towards the cathode and thereby reduces the dead time.

The gas of a Geiger Mueller detector consists of two components: a fill gas and a quench gas.

The fill gas is usually neon but other gases are sometimes used, e.g., helium, argon, or krypton.

There are two main types of quench gas: halogen quench gases and organic quench gases Chlorine is the most common halogen quench gas, but bromine is also used. Although the textbooks usually mention alcohol as an example of an organic quench gas, isobutane is far more common. A halogen quenching agent is used if the fill gas is neon, argon or krypton, while helium filled tubes usually employ an organic quench gas.
Ref: https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/GMs/introgms.htm

For more general information
http://www.canberra.com/literature/fundamental-principles/pdf/Gamma-Xray-Detection.pdf

During my university program, we used GM/proportional counters with P10 (0.9 Ar, 0.1 CH4) gas.

Related to About filled gas inside a Geiger Muller meter

1. What is the purpose of filled gas inside a Geiger Muller meter?

Filled gas inside a Geiger Muller meter serves as the ionization medium, allowing for the detection of ionizing radiation.

2. What type of gas is typically used to fill Geiger Muller meters?

The most commonly used gas is a mix of argon and a small amount of halogen gas, such as neon or helium.

3. How does the filling gas affect the sensitivity of a Geiger Muller meter?

The type and amount of filling gas can greatly impact the sensitivity of a Geiger Muller meter. A higher concentration of halogen gas can increase the sensitivity to low levels of radiation, while a lower concentration may be more suitable for higher levels of radiation.

4. Can the filling gas inside a Geiger Muller meter be changed?

Yes, the filling gas can be changed, but it should only be done by a trained professional. The filling gas can affect the overall performance and accuracy of the meter, so it is important to choose the appropriate type and concentration.

5. How often should the filling gas inside a Geiger Muller meter be checked or replaced?

The filling gas should be checked and replaced as needed, typically during regular maintenance or calibration of the meter. Depending on usage and environmental conditions, the filling gas may need to be replaced every few years.