Absolute quadratic inequalities.

In summary, the conversation is about solving inequalities and finding the boundaries of intervals where the inequality is true. The method discussed involves solving the equation first and using the points to determine the sign of the inequality. The conversation also touches on using the quadratic formula and finding "sufficiently large" values for n.
Kelvie
A bit of a newbie question, but I was wondering how does one go about solving these?

For example: (I was working on a problem posted on another thread on Homework Help)
[tex]
|3n-4| < 9\epsilon n^2 + 3 \epsilon
[/tex]
Epsilon is a small positive number of course :P

The tricky part is when I split it up..
[tex]
\begin{align*}
-9\epsilon n^2 - 3n - 3\epsilon + 4 < 0 \\
9\epsilon n^2 -3n + 3\epsilon + 4 > 0
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Wouldn't the solution for n then be 4 inequalities? That doesn't make sense, does it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
try factoring the quadratic and analyze according to the sign of the factors

A general method for solving inequalities is to solve the equation first. The points mark the boundaries of the intervals on which the inequality is true.

In this case, solve the equation |3n-4|= 9&epsilon;n2+ 3&epsilon;

If 3n-4> 0 that is equivalent to 3n-4= 9&epsilon;n2+ 3&epsilon; which is the quadratic equation 9&epsilon;n2- 3n+ (4+3&epsilon)= 0.

If 3n-4< 0 that is equivalent 4- 3n= 9&epsilon;n2+ 3&epsilon; which is the quadratic equation 9&epsilon;n2+ 3n- (4+3&epsilon)= 0.

Those two equations have 4 solutions which divide all real numbers into 5 intervals. You can choose one point in each interval to determine whether you get ">" or "<".

Hmm.. I was afraid it would come to this.

I was trying to solve this for a delta-epsilon proof of a limit at infinity (finding what N of epsilon could be that is < |n|.

I got my two quadratic equations, so technically, the smallest one could be N? or the largest? Or do all of them work?

Because there are two quadratic inequalities to solve, this puts a bound on what n could be, so it would be redundant to say that |n| is greater than all N of epsilon.

Or am I missing something very painfully obvious? :P

In that case, you don't really need to solve the inequality, just show that it is true for "sufficiently large" n. Certainly as soon as n> 4/3, 3n- 4 will be positive so you don't need the second of the ways you are "splitting up" the absolute value.
From [tex] 9\epsilon n^2 + 3n + 3\epsilon - 4 0 0[/tex]
you can use the quadratic formula to determine where left side is larger than 0. If that is true for all n larger than some number, you are done.

Related to Absolute quadratic inequalities.

1. What are absolute quadratic inequalities?

Absolute quadratic inequalities are inequalities that involve a quadratic expression with an absolute value. They are typically written in the form |ax^2 + bx + c| < d or |ax^2 + bx + c| > d, where a, b, and c are constants and d is a real number.

2. How do absolute quadratic inequalities differ from regular quadratic inequalities?

The main difference is the presence of the absolute value in the equation. This means that the solution set will often include both positive and negative values, as the absolute value of a negative number is equal to its positive counterpart.

3. How do you solve absolute quadratic inequalities?

To solve an absolute quadratic inequality, you first need to isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the inequality. Then, you can split the inequality into two separate inequalities, one for when the expression inside the absolute value is positive and one for when it is negative. Solve each inequality separately and combine the solutions to get the final solution set.

4. What are the key properties of absolute quadratic inequalities?

Some key properties include the fact that the solution set will often have two separate intervals, one for the positive values and one for the negative values. Additionally, the solution set may need to be verified by plugging in values to ensure that the inequalities hold true.

5. How are absolute quadratic inequalities used in real life?

Absolute quadratic inequalities are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics and economics, to model real-life situations involving quadratic functions. They can also be used to optimize and solve problems related to maximum and minimum values.