Abstract definition of electromagnetic fields on manifolds

In summary, the electric field on an orientable Lorentz manifold is given by$$\bf{E}(t,\bf{x}) = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int \rho(t,\bf{x}') \frac{\bf{x}-\bf{x}'}{|\bf{x}-\bf{x}'|^3} d^3 x'$$
ZuperPosition
Hello,
In the sources I have looked into (textbooks and articles on differential geometry), I have not found any abstract definition of the electromagnetic fields. It seems that at most the electric field is defined as
$$\bf{E}(t,\bf{x}) = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int \rho(t,\bf{x}') \frac{\bf{x}-\bf{x}'}{|\bf{x}-\bf{x}'|^3} d^3 x'$$
as seen in e.g. (John David Jackson, Classical electrodynamics, John Wiley & Sons, 2012). I want to make a similar definition of the Electric field for an orientable Lorentz manifold. There are some issues that come to mind. The most obvious is that position is not well-defined on an abstract manifold. Secondly, if we for example model space-time as ##\mathbb{R}\times S^2##, with the first factor representing time and ##S^2## is the spatial part, the nominator ##\bf{x}-\bf{x}'## in the integral should be projected to the part that is tangent to ##S^2##. This is the case as otherwise the electric field would not be a vector field. Though, this is not really representative of manifolds in full generality, the manifold as a set need not be a subset of a vector field. I am aware that the Whitney embedding theorem might be applicable here which could prove useful. But for various reasons I can not use the Whitney embedding theorem, sadly.

My goal is to later define the electromagnetic field tensor on (a kind of generalised) manifolds. How to define the charge density, and volume form is obvious, but I don't see how the rest could be done in such an abstract manner. Has it even ever been done? If so, could someone please enlighten me?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
ZuperPosition said:
It seems that at most the electric field is defined as
This is not the definition of the electric field. It is an expression for the electric field given some source density ##\rho##. It seems more to me as if you want to solve Maxwell's equations in a general manifold. The expression for this is going to be dependent on the particular manifold, but in general the field should depend on the charge and current densities on the past light-cone. Also, the electric field is just a part of the electromagnetic field tensor ##F^{\mu\nu}##, what you really want to do is to find that. Its definition is exactly the same as that in special relativity, ##F_{\mu\nu} = \partial_\mu A_\nu - \partial_\nu A_\mu##. Note that you do not need to replace the partial derivatives here with covariant derivatives.

ZuperPosition said:
How to define the charge density, and volume form is obvious
It should not be. Charge density is a component of a 4-vector and depends on the coordinate system. What "volume" means also depends on the coordinate system, i.e., which spatial surface you integrate over. The "obvious" things are the 4-current density and the spacetime volume form.

Edit: Also, your proposed spacetime ##\mathbb R \times S^2## only has 3 dimensions. Your electric field with have two components and your magnetic field will have one.

Likes ZuperPosition and Klystron
Orodruin said:
This is not the definition of the electric field. It is an expression for the electric field given some source density ##\rho##. It seems more to me as if you want to solve Maxwell's equations in a general manifold. The expression for this is going to be dependent on the particular manifold, but in general the field should depend on the charge and current densities on the past light-cone. Also, the electric field is just a part of the electromagnetic field tensor ##F^{\mu\nu}##, what you really want to do is to find that. Its definition is exactly the same as that in special relativity, ##F_{\mu\nu} = \partial_\mu A_\nu - \partial_\nu A_\mu##. Note that you do not need to replace the partial derivatives here with covariant derivatives.It should not be. Charge density is a component of a 4-vector and depends on the coordinate system. What "volume" means also depends on the coordinate system, i.e., which spatial surface you integrate over. The "obvious" things are the 4-current density and the spacetime volume form.

Edit: Also, your proposed spacetime ##\mathbb R \times S^2## only has 3 dimensions. Your electric field with have two components and your magnetic field will have one.

Ah yes, you are right it might be much more fruitful to define the electromagnetic field tensor using the vector potential. I got a bit distracted as some of the literature seems to want to define the electromagnetic fields on Minkowski space before defining the electromagnetic field tensor. In general, each component of ##A_\mu## is usually computed with a similar integral as above, right? Is there a way to express the 4-potential on a Lorentz manifold in general or is any such endeavour not really feasible?

You are also correct about the charge density, my bad.

Yes, having ##\mathbb{R} \times S^2## as spacetime is a bit weird dimensionally, but it is intentional. :)

Thank you!

1. What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles and is present in the space surrounding these particles. It is also known as the electromagnetic force, and it is responsible for the interactions between electrically charged particles.

2. What is a manifold?

A manifold is a mathematical concept used to describe a space that is locally similar to Euclidean space. In simpler terms, it is a space that can be smoothly and continuously mapped onto a flat surface, such as a plane. In the context of electromagnetic fields, manifolds are used to describe the space where the fields exist.

3. How are electromagnetic fields defined on manifolds?

Electromagnetic fields on manifolds are defined using mathematical equations and concepts from differential geometry. This allows for a more general and abstract definition of the fields that can be applied to different types of manifolds.

4. What is the significance of studying electromagnetic fields on manifolds?

Studying electromagnetic fields on manifolds is important for understanding the behavior of these fields in different types of spaces. This can have practical applications in areas such as physics, mathematics, and engineering, where a deeper understanding of electromagnetic fields is necessary.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the abstract definition of electromagnetic fields on manifolds?

Yes, the abstract definition of electromagnetic fields on manifolds has been used in various fields such as cosmology, quantum field theory, and general relativity. It has also been applied in the study of black holes and the behavior of electromagnetic fields in curved spacetime.