Abuse of Notation - Cross Product

In summary, the conversation discusses the abuse of notation in the use of the determinant method for evaluating the cross product. This is considered an abuse because the matrix used in the calculation contains vectors in its entries instead of scalar numbers, yet it is still plugged into the determinant function and treated as a matrix. However, some argue that this is simply a mnemonic and not an actual abuse of notation. It is also noted that this issue is often glossed over and can be confusing in noncommutative rings. Some suggest using index notation as a better reminder of the formula. Overall, the concept of abuse of notation is often misunderstood and not well-defined.
prasannaworld
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abuse_of_notation

I don't want this thread to go too long. But can someone quickly explain to be how the Determinent method of evaluating the Cross Product is an "abuse". I cannot quite seem to grasp their explanation...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Basically, a matrix is defined to have a scalar (usually a real or complex number) in each entry, but when using the cross product calculation, you plug a vector into each entry of the top row. So you really don't have a matrix at all, but you still plug it into the determinant function and treat it like one because it's convenient

Cool! I thought I was the only one who objected to that silly formulation on the basis that it is an incredible abuse of notation. Thanks for the pointer.

That it happens to work is no excuse. It is abuse of notation. You have to "forget" that [itex]\hat{\boldsymbol{i}}, \hat{\boldsymbol{j}}, \hat{\boldsymbol{k}}[/itex] are vectors when you put them in that matrix, the "remember" that they are vectors after computing the deteriminant (which is by definition a scalar).

ok...

I kept thinking of the Im(a*b) definition... Forgot completely about what exactly the Determinent is... Thanks for reminding me

I remember in one class, a student who was presenting a proof in class, saying "by abuse of notation, ..." and the professor immediately saying "Let's not be that abusive"!

D H said:
Cool! I thought I was the only one who objected to that silly formulation on the basis that it is an incredible abuse of notation. Thanks for the pointer.

That it happens to work is no excuse. It is abuse of notation. You have to "forget" that [itex]\hat{\boldsymbol{i}}, \hat{\boldsymbol{j}}, \hat{\boldsymbol{k}}[/itex] are vectors when you put them in that matrix, the "remember" that they are vectors after computing the deteriminant (which is by definition a scalar).

It's not a definition, it's more like a mnemonic. It's like complaining that SOHCAHTOA isn't a real number so it's not a valid way of remembering what cosine, sine and tangent are.

Most abuse of notation is easy to spot because it doesn't type check.

A matrix is a mathematical object built on top of a field (usually taken to be the reals or the complex numbers). For each row-column index that's within the bounds of the matrix, there is an entry which is a member of that field. Clearly, when you find a vector in row 1 and reals in all the other rows, what you have isn't a matrix of real numbers. What you have is a physicist or engineer =-P

Office_Shredder said:
It's not a definition, it's more like a mnemonic. It's like complaining that SOHCAHTOA isn't a real number so it's not a valid way of remembering what cosine, sine and tangent are.

I don't think anyone ever complained SOHCAHTOA isn't a real number. I always just complained it was hard to spell.

But the problem is, it often ISN'T explained that the notation is just a shorthand. You can see this even in Feynman's Lectures, where he introduces vector calculus operations grad, div, and curl as what happens when you apply a vector [tex](\frac{\partial}{\partial x}}, \frac{\partial}{\partial y}}, \frac{\partial}{\partial z}})[/tex] to a function using scalar multiplication, dot product, and cross product. But in reality, applying a derivative is done with function application, and not multiplication!

One can define matrices over a ring and determinants of such matrices.
the problems are:
-this construction is often glossed over
-if the ring one defines is noncommutative determinant notation is confusing
if R contains i and j than it contains ij and ji, but do we consider thhem equal?
-the ring might contain objects one has immidiate use for
what use have we of iiiii?
-this construction is distracting and inelegant
-a better reminder would be index notation
axb=SUM[over i and j from 1 to 3]alternator(i,j,k)a(j)b(k)

I really don't consider the use of the determinant for the vector cross product to be an abuse of notation. In some higher algebra contexts the determinant is really just a formal operation ie. the elements could be infinite dimensional operators. To say that some elements of the matrix are not numbers, as you think they should be, is to miss the entire point of a formula, viz that it is formally true in terms of symbols. The determinant merely indicates that we apply a certain formula.

I think many of the examples on the wikipedia page are not very well thought out. It has always seemed that "abuse of notation" is an oft-repeated but ill understood phrase, and this thread has only affirmed this impression.

Related to Abuse of Notation - Cross Product

What is "Abuse of Notation - Cross Product"?

"Abuse of Notation - Cross Product" refers to a mathematical concept where the cross product operation is applied to objects that are not vectors, such as matrices or functions. This can lead to confusion and incorrect interpretations of the results.

Why is "Abuse of Notation - Cross Product" a problem?

"Abuse of Notation - Cross Product" can be a problem because it goes against the traditional definition and properties of the cross product, which is only defined for vectors. It can also lead to incorrect calculations and results, causing errors in scientific or mathematical analysis.

How can "Abuse of Notation - Cross Product" be avoided?

To avoid "Abuse of Notation - Cross Product," it is important to clearly define the objects being operated on and to use the correct notation for the intended operation. For example, using the symbol "x" for both multiplication and cross product can lead to confusion and should be avoided.

What are some common examples of "Abuse of Notation - Cross Product"?

One common example is using the cross product symbol to represent the determinant of a matrix. Another example is using the cross product between two functions to represent the composition of those functions. Both of these cases go against the traditional definition of the cross product and can lead to incorrect interpretations.

What are the consequences of "Abuse of Notation - Cross Product" in scientific research?

The consequences of "Abuse of Notation - Cross Product" in scientific research can include incorrect results, misinterpretation of data, and ultimately, flawed conclusions. This can be particularly problematic in fields such as physics or engineering where precise mathematical calculations are crucial.