AC vs DC servo motors in large scale cable robot design

In summary: The Vee groove in the center of the wheel will also accommodate a coil spring to tension the string.In summary, using a ball chain system would be a better solution than energy transfer systems because of the lack of cable slack and the position encoder wheel that maintains the loop length.
cpcoe
hi, I'm designing a 50ftx50ft, 8-cable Cable Driven Parallel Robot and am thinking this is a pivotal decision. the corner posts are 10ft tall and the machine should be able to lift 100lbs at least 5ft off the ground. traveling speed of the end effector is less important than accuracy but I'm not trying to build a slug either! I am not attached to AC or DC, and the prices aren't that different in the 1/2hp range, will the controls and drivers present any hidden complications? what are the pros and cons of each system?
thanks for your help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
The motor selection will be dependent on the controllers available to you, and what will be controlling the system.
It is important that you make it work ASAP. The details can be changed later if you need to manufacture in quantity.
I would use PWM, DC servo motors, controlled by off the shelf H-bridges, with shaft encoders on the wire drums.
That will give a continuous estimate of speed, position, torque and load.

Likes jim hardy
Thanks, I'm thinking the rotary encoders should be independent of the winches because the cable winding on the drum creates a variable axle size. I imagine a pulley wheel/ encoder mounted between the winch and end-effector for cable length and velocity measurement. In regards to controllers and controlling systems, I would like to be able to manually 'drive' the machine with a joystick (or something) and record the drive for repetitive playback. Any insight as to how this might look in hardware and software?

cpcoe said:
rotary encoders should be independent of the winches because the cable winding on the drum creates a variable axle size.
Taking into account Murphy's Law*, there will be slippage between the cable and the idler driving the encoder. I suggest a follower arm riding on the cable as it winds on the winch, and putting the encoder somewhere on the winch drive. Servo motors typically have an encoder mounted on their back end (it makes the gearing to the driven element simpler).

* Anything that can go wrong, will.

Cheers,
Tom

cpcoe said:
Thanks, I'm thinking the rotary encoders should be independent of the winches because the cable winding on the drum creates a variable axle size.
Correct. The rotary encoders are needed on the motor / drum to control the motor direction and velocity. The position of the load needs to be measured quite independently of any loaded positioning cable. A slipping or broken positioning cable will cause a detectable difference between the drum estimate and the real position. How else can it detect the next fault to occur?

Do not use the energy transfer systems to obtain critical positioning data. It will crush or strangle the operator.

If you must use cables to measure position, use a totally independent and parallel system that maintains the loop length without a spool. Make sure that the tension in the sensor cable is within narrow specified limits by using a spring or mass with switches to detect any length error. Kill the power and sound the alarm if it goes outside range.

Take a look at the modern equivalent to “ball chain”, as used on vertical window blinds. The string of spaced plastic balls moulded onto the fiber will not slip on a position index encoder wheel made with holes to accommodate the beads and a Vee groove to accommodate the fibre.

1. What is the difference between AC and DC servo motors?

AC and DC servo motors are both types of electric motors that are commonly used in large scale cable robot design. The main difference between the two is the type of current they use. AC servo motors use alternating current, while DC servo motors use direct current. This difference affects the way the motors are powered and controlled, as well as their overall performance and efficiency.

2. Which type of servo motor is better for large scale cable robot design?

The answer to this question depends on the specific needs and requirements of the cable robot design. AC servo motors are generally more powerful and efficient, making them a better choice for high-speed and high-torque applications. On the other hand, DC servo motors are simpler and easier to control, making them a better choice for precise and delicate movements. It is important to consider the specific demands of the cable robot design in order to determine which type of servo motor is best suited for the job.

3. How do AC and DC servo motors differ in terms of cost?

In general, AC servo motors tend to be more expensive than DC servo motors. This is due to the more complex technology and components required for AC motors, such as the need for an inverter to convert the current from AC to DC. DC servo motors are simpler and therefore, usually less expensive. However, the cost can also vary depending on the specific brand, size, and features of the servo motor.

4. Can AC and DC servo motors be used interchangeably in large scale cable robot design?

In some cases, AC and DC servo motors can be used interchangeably in large scale cable robot design. However, this is not always the case. As mentioned before, AC and DC servo motors have different performance and control characteristics, so they may not be suitable for all applications. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs and requirements of the cable robot design before deciding on which type of servo motor to use.

5. What are the main advantages of using AC servo motors in large scale cable robot design?

AC servo motors offer several advantages that make them a popular choice in large scale cable robot design. These include higher power and torque capabilities, faster response times, and smoother movements. AC servo motors also have a wider speed range and can operate at higher speeds, making them suitable for a wider range of applications. Additionally, AC servo motors are more energy efficient, which can result in cost savings over time.