AC vs evaporative cooler: ratio of (BTUs/hr)/electric watts

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between air conditioners and evaporative coolers, specifically in terms of BTUs/hr and electrical watts. It is mentioned that evaporative coolers do not state BTUs/hr and their effectiveness is dependent on humidity levels. The conversation also includes personal experiences with swamp coolers and their effectiveness in dry air versus humid air. It is noted that evaporative coolers use less electricity compared to air conditioners. However, due to the inconsistency in output, vendors do not provide general BTU ratings for evaporative coolers.
techniker
Hi

Air conditioner vs evaporative cooler: ratio of (BTUs/hr) / electrical watts

I know evaporative coolers do not state BTUs/hr. I do not know why.

Did anyone try them and record time taken to cool.

I found this example, but I do not know if it is practically relevant:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...e4yanAg2CCVEok3BD4cTSg&bvm=bv.128153897,d.bGs

I just read the last line “In this example, the cost of electrical cooling is about 7 times greater than the cost of evaporative cooling.”

Physics news on Phys.org
Evaporative coolers, aka 'swamp coolers' work in dry air (only). As the humidity increases, evaporation decreases, and the resultant heat removal due to evaporation decreases.

I imagine it is difficult for manufacturers to make meaningful claims about heat removal for swamp coolers.

I grew up with a swamp cooler in AZ, it worked great in the dry air. I live in Dallas now, and it would be a waste of electricity here.

A swamp cooler runs a fan and a small water pump (really small), so it basically uses as much electricity as a fan. Electrical coolers run a high pressure pump that moves freon in a closed system through two phases (gas / liquid), this takes a lot more power than just blowing air past / over wet pads that have water dripping on them, which is what a swamp cooler does.

Likes techniker
Strictly speaking, direct evaporative coolers don't do any cooling, so there's that...

Griddle is also correct; evaporative cooler output is highly dependent on the input conditions, and therefore very inconsistent. So the vendors don't give general BTU ratings.

But you could pick a specific set of conditions and calculate sensible cooling provided. Much of the info can be gotten from a performance table.

Likes techniker
OK Thanks a lot

1. What is the difference between an AC and an evaporative cooler?

The main difference between an AC (air conditioner) and an evaporative cooler is the way they cool the air. ACs use refrigerants to cool the air, while evaporative coolers use water to cool the air through evaporation.

2. How do I compare the efficiency of an AC and an evaporative cooler?

The efficiency of an AC and an evaporative cooler can be compared by looking at their ratio of (BTUs/hr)/electric watts. This ratio measures how many BTUs (British Thermal Units) of cooling power are produced per hour for each watt of electricity used. A higher ratio indicates better efficiency.

3. Which one is more cost-effective in terms of energy usage?

In terms of energy usage, evaporative coolers are generally more cost-effective than ACs. This is because ACs use more electricity to run their compressors, while evaporative coolers use much less electricity to power their fans and pumps.

4. Can I use an evaporative cooler in any climate?

Evaporative coolers work best in dry climates, where the air is hot and dry. In humid climates, the air is already saturated with moisture, so the evaporation process is less effective. However, some evaporative coolers come with a dual-function mode that allows them to be used as a regular fan in humid climates.

5. Which one is better for the environment?

Both ACs and evaporative coolers have an impact on the environment. ACs use refrigerants that can contribute to ozone depletion, while evaporative coolers use water, which is a scarce resource in some areas. However, in terms of energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions, evaporative coolers are generally considered to be more eco-friendly.