Accelerating a charged particle generating an "electric field wave"

In summary, the electric field waves in an isolated manner correspond to compressions and rarefactions in the electric field due to the disturbance of a charged particle's motion, and the waves move at the speed of light.
JaredMTg
Hello,

My question is about accelerating charges generating electromagnetic radiation, and is more of a theoretical one, or a thought-experiment in my head...probably because I'm not totally understanding something.

I was playing with this applet which simulates the electric field lines of a charged particle under different types of acceleration:

https://phet.colorado.edu/sims/radiating-charge/radiating-charge_en.html

This led me to understand that "waves" in the electric field are basically created because a charged particle accelerates, which generates a change in its electric field - "compressions" and "rarefactions" in a sense - and the particle's infinitely-extending field throughout space cannot "update" instantaneously - i.e. there is a limit to the speed of propagation of the change (or "information") in the field, which we know to be the speed of light, c

My question is, is there anything inherent about the electric field that makes it unable for a variation in the electric field to propagate faster than the speed of light? I realize that Maxwell's equations indicate that a changing electric field generates a magnetic field, which is also non-constant and continues the propagation of the electric field. Therefore, any accelerating charge produces varying magnetic and electric fields which are inextricably linked, and due to the nature of permittivity and permeability of space, this process happens at the speed of light, c.

But suppose for a minute that you "de-coupled" the electric field from the magnetic one (even if no such thing is possible in reality), and tried to look at things the way they are shown in the applet above (i.e. without magnetic fields), and you understood "electric waves" as simply compressions and rarefactions in the electric field due to the disturbance of the charged particle's motion. Does the idea of an electric field wave in isolation correspond to anything in physical reality? And would it move at the speed of light?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jared
welcome to PF :smile:
JaredMTg said:
My question is, is there anything inherent about the electric field that makes it unable for a variation in the electric field to propagate faster than the speed of light? I realize that Maxwell's equations indicate that a changing electric field generates a magnetic field, which is also non-constant and continues the propagation of the electric field. Therefore, any accelerating charge produces varying magnetic and electric fields which are inextricably linked, and due to the nature of permittivity and permeability of space, this process happens at the speed of light, c.

you answered your own Q ... what else can we say ?
As far as has been discovered, c is the "universal speed limit"
Why ? ... it just isDave

Likes JaredMTg
Hey, you're right - I did! How brilliant!

due to the nature of permittivity and permeability of space, this process happens at the speed of light, c
It's not complicated unless you start thinking too much behind it (*): ##c^2 \epsilon_0 \mu_0 \equiv 1## . Hurray for good old Maxwell !

(*) But of course we all do (present author included :rolleyes: ) -- and hopefully get put right by reality ! Whatever that is.

Likes JaredMTg
Thanks for the phet link! I think I could have saved meself a lot of time spent drawing still pictures with links to their suitable and didactically well researched, much nicer animations !

"The name "PhET" was originally an acronym for "Physics Education Technology." However, the PhET site now includes simulations about many other subjects besides physics, so the acronym is too limited. The PhET team decided to keep the name because it is so widely recognized, but now it's just a name that doesn't stand for anything."

JaredMTg said:
But suppose for a minute that you "de-coupled" the electric field from the magnetic one (even if no such thing is possible in reality), and tried to look at things the way they are shown in the applet above (i.e. without magnetic fields), and you understood "electric waves" as simply compressions and rarefactions in the electric field due to the disturbance of the charged particle's motion. Does the idea of an electric field wave in isolation correspond to anything in physical reality? And would it move at the speed of light?
You cannot decouple the electric and magnetic fields this way, but you can decouple the scalar and vector potentials that way. They each separately follow wave equations that propagate at c.

Likes JaredMTg
DaleSpam said:
You cannot decouple the electric and magnetic fields this way, but you can decouple the scalar and vector potentials that way. They each separately follow wave equations that propagate at c.

Fair enough, makes sense. Thanks!

What is the process of accelerating a charged particle to generate an electric field wave?

The process of accelerating a charged particle involves using an electric field to increase the particle's kinetic energy, causing it to move faster. As the particle moves, it creates an electric field wave, which is a disturbance in the surrounding electric field.

What is an electric field wave and how is it generated by a charged particle?

An electric field wave is a type of electromagnetic wave that is created when a charged particle is accelerated. The movement of the charged particle creates a disturbance in the electric field, causing it to propagate outward as a wave.

How does the acceleration of a charged particle affect the strength and direction of the electric field wave?

The strength of an electric field wave is directly proportional to the acceleration of the charged particle. This means that the faster the particle is accelerated, the stronger the electric field wave will be. The direction of the electric field wave is determined by the direction of the charged particle's acceleration.

What factors influence the speed and wavelength of an electric field wave generated by a charged particle?

The speed and wavelength of an electric field wave depend on the acceleration of the charged particle, as well as the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. In a vacuum, the speed of an electric field wave is equal to the speed of light, while the wavelength is determined by the frequency of the wave.

What are some real-world applications of accelerating charged particles to generate electric field waves?

There are many practical applications of this phenomenon, such as in particle accelerators used in scientific research, medical imaging techniques like MRI, and telecommunications technologies such as radar and satellite communications. It is also utilized in various industrial processes, such as welding and plasma cutting.