Accelerating a mass at very high acceleration @very low time

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of achieving high acceleration at low times for objects in space research. Suggestions are made for using centrifuges or devices similar to the HARP project or railgun designs. The conversation also touches on the maximum acceleration experienced by protons at the LHC and its relevance to the topic. It is mentioned that the technologies used in the LHC may not be applicable to accelerating macroscopic objects in a straight line.
emam
Dear all,
I would like to know if someone has experience with projectile accelerator (or mass accelerators).
I am working in space research field and here is my question:
I would like to know if we can find a system or a machine permitting to apply very high acceleration (like 10'000 g) at very low time (like 20-30 ms) to an object?

Usually with a centrifuge we can achieve this kind of acceleration, but in very longer time).
However, does someone know a way to have a device to give at least a shock of 10000 g at few ms?
Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
10'000 g at 25 ms gives 2500 m/s over ~30 m distance. Those numbers are close to the HARP project and not so far away from the railgun designs that are tested.

How much shock does a proton at LHC get?

Define "shock" (in a way that makes sense for relativistic particles).

And I think it would be better to start a separate thread for accelerations in particle accelerators, as they are orders of magnitude higher.

How many g forces does a proton experience in max acceleration at LHC, it is relevant to the OP in the sense of a "technological limit". He specifically asked for someone with this experience.

It is a technological limit for particles close to the speed of light with one elementary charge per proton mass, something impossible to achieve for anything larger than a proton.
As seen in the frame of earth, they have a curvature radius of about 3km and a speed extremely close to the speed of light, that gives an acceleration of about 3*1013 m/s2 (about 3 trillion g). Smaller accelerators achieve larger values as the speed is very similar but the curvature radius is smaller.

jerromyjon said:
How many g forces does a proton experience in max acceleration at LHC, it is relevant to the OP in the sense of a "technological limit". He specifically asked for someone with this experience.
It's not especially relevant as a technological limit, because the technologies used to accelerate protons along a circular path in the LHC are not applicable to accelerating macroscopic objects in a straight line. The answer in #2 is more to the point.

However, because I'm a sucker for off the wall questions I grabbed a metaphorical envelope and calculated the average radial acceleration of a particle in the LHC ring to be something around ##10^{12} g##.

Related to Accelerating a mass at very high acceleration @very low time

1. How can we achieve high acceleration at low time for a mass?

High acceleration can be achieved by applying a large force on the mass for a short amount of time. This can be done by using powerful engines or motors, using explosives, or utilizing the principles of electromagnetism.

2. What are the potential dangers of accelerating a mass at very high acceleration?

One potential danger is the possibility of the mass reaching speeds that can cause damage to itself or its surroundings. There is also the risk of causing harm to living beings in the vicinity or damaging sensitive equipment. It is important to carefully consider safety measures when conducting such experiments.

3. How does high acceleration affect the mass itself?

High acceleration can cause the mass to experience large forces, which can result in deformation, breakage, or even disintegration. The mass may also experience changes in its internal structure, such as changes in temperature or pressure.

4. Can high acceleration be sustained for a long period of time?

Sustaining high acceleration for a long period of time would require a constant application of a large force on the mass. This may not be possible or practical in many cases, as it would require a significant amount of energy and resources.

5. What are the potential applications of accelerating a mass at very high acceleration?

Accelerating a mass at very high acceleration has various applications in fields such as space travel, transportation, and weaponry. It can also be used for scientific research and testing the limits of materials and structures.