Accelerating protons and antiprotons for pair production?

In summary, the textbook is saying that pair production is a process in which a photon of electromagnetic energy is converted to a pair of particles, but then it gives the discovery of an antiproton, which was when a proton was accelerated to 6MeV and collided into a stationary proton, making one antiproton and 3 protons. It doesn't seem to conserve charge like it should, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the question at hand.
Tangeton
Okay so I have a problem with what my textbook is saying.

It defined pair production as a process in which a photon of electromagnetic energy is converted to a pair of particles.

But then it gave the discovery of an antiproton. Which was when a proton was accelerated to 6MeV and collided into a stationary proton, making one antiproton and 3 protons.

So, does this p + p --> p + p + antip process count as pair production? In which case, would the definition of pair production be a bit different?

Also, I found a website on which it says that ''sometimes, a pair of particles annihilates, but then the photon produces another pair of particles.'' When it comes the the first line, is this basically when a pair annihilates, but then the photon still has a lot of energy due to the extra kinetic energy of the particle and its antiparticle, meaning that when it passes close to a nucleus?

Edit: It also says that a antip + p = n + antin Is this besically an example of what I just wrote above (particles annihilate but then the photon produces another pair of particles)?

Sorry for lots of questions and thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tangeton said:
p + p --> p + p + antip

Does that conserve charge?

Vanadium 50 said:
Does that conserve charge?
oooo whoops it's p + p --> p + p + p + antip and well it doesn't look like it does conserve charge, but what has that got to do with anything? Says here it does happen so I am not trying to disprove it?

Last edited:
Tangeton said:
but what has that got to do with anything?

Charge is always conserved. If you write down a reaction that doesn't, it's wrong.

Vanadium 50 said:
Charge is always conserved. If you write down a reaction that doesn't, it's wrong.

Well yes I know but charge is conserved here. I just wrote the wrong equation by accident.

1. What is the purpose of accelerating protons and antiprotons for pair production?

The purpose of accelerating protons and antiprotons for pair production is to create high-energy collisions between the particles. These collisions produce new particles, including electron-positron pairs, which can be studied to gain a better understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe.

2. How are protons and antiprotons accelerated for pair production?

Protons and antiprotons are accelerated using powerful particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. These accelerators use electromagnetic fields to accelerate the particles to near the speed of light, allowing them to collide with each other at high energies.

3. What is the significance of studying pair production through proton-antiproton collisions?

Studying pair production through proton-antiproton collisions allows scientists to test the predictions of theoretical models and gain a deeper understanding of the building blocks of our universe. It also allows for the discovery of new particles and interactions that may not be observable through other methods.

4. What challenges are involved in accelerating protons and antiprotons for pair production?

Accelerating protons and antiprotons for pair production can be challenging due to the high energies and speeds involved. It requires advanced technology and precise control of the particles' trajectories to ensure they collide at the desired location and energy. Additionally, the production and handling of antiprotons can be difficult and expensive.

5. How does the study of pair production through proton-antiproton collisions contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The study of pair production through proton-antiproton collisions allows us to explore the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. By studying the particles produced in these collisions, we can gain a better understanding of the origins and evolution of our universe, as well as test the validity of various theories and models.