Acceleration as a function of position

In summary: Therefore, the acceleration depends on both position and time.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force, position, and time in the context of an object's motion. It is noted that while force is a function of position, the acceleration can also be expressed as a function of time due to the object's motion. This leads to a discussion of the different ways to think about the dependence of acceleration on position and time. Ultimately, it is determined that the acceleration depends on both position and time, as it is a result of the force and the object's trajectory.
fog37
Hello Forum,

If a force is a function of position x only, like Hooks's spring force F=-kx, the acceleration is also only dependent on the position x, i.e. a(x).
At every instant of time t, the object has a specific velocity v(t), position x(t) and acceleration a(t), which all depend on the time variable t.

How do we reconcile the fact that the acceleration should be only dependent on x, i.e. a(x), when the acceleration becomes dependent of time, i.e. a(t), for the objects motion?

Clearly, there is a relation between x and t: x(t) or even t(x). So is the position dependence of the acceleration a, from Hooks's spring force F=-kx, a "primary" dependence while the time dependence is "secondary"?

Thanks!
Fog37

Physics news on Phys.org
Since acceleration is the second derivative of the position with respect to time, what you get is a second order differential equation.

Thanks Orodruin.

But my dilemma is that the force provides an acceleration that seems to depend only on position: a(x).

However, when we consider the object's motion, we discover that the object's acceleration can be expressed as a function of time t, i.e. a(t), since a( t(x) ) through parametrization. So does the acceleration a truly depend on x or on t?

Which way is more convenient for you personally to think about it in the problem you have in front of you? That's the one it truly is.

Well,
a force that depends on position gives an acceleration that depends on position and a force that depends on time gives an acceleration that depends on time.

I think that the two motions would be very different since the motion differential equations would be different. Or not?

It is a function of time since it is a function of position and position is a function of time. However, it only depends on time through the dependence on x, not explicitly on t as an independent variable.

Thanks Orodruin.

However, could we not see it the other way: the acceleration depends on x through the dependence on t, not explicitly on x as an independent variable? What does it really mean explicitly or implicitly in this context?

That only works properly as long as time is in a one-to-one correspondence with position. For the harmonic oscillator you described, it is not (except for at most half a period).

fog37 said:
So does the acceleration a truly depend on x or on t?
What does "truly" mean here, and how is the distinction to "not truly" relevant?

fog37 said:
But my dilemma is that the force provides an acceleration that seems to depend only on position: a(x).
a(x) = a(x(t)) = a(t)
It is all the same thing

Edit: perhaps more importantly ##a=\frac{d^2}{dt^2}x##

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I may be making a big deal about nothing.
I know that a general force may be of the form F(x,v,t) and there are forces F(t) described as time-dependent and not space dependent while other forces are exclusively space dependent, like F= - kx or the gravitational force. They seem to specify if the force depends on one variable or the other so it is not all the same. What determines that choice? why do we say that Hookes law is a function of position and not a function of time?

fog37 said:
why do we say that Hookes law is a function of position and not a function of time?
Because that force always depends on position, but doesn't always depend on time.

fog37 said:
Thanks Orodruin.

However, when we consider the object's motion, we discover that the object's acceleration can be expressed as a function of time t, i.e. a(t), since a( t(x) ) through parametrization. So does the acceleration a truly depend on x or on t?
Yes, after you've solved the equations of motion you have
$$\vec{a}(t)=\vec{a}[x(t)]=\frac{1}{m} \vec{F}[\vec{x}(t)].$$
The very purpose of the equation of motion is to find the trajectory of the particle subject to the force, ##\vec{F}##, and the initial conditions ##\vec{x}(t_0)=\vec{x}_0##, ##\dot{\vec{x}}(t_0)=\vec{v}_0##.

What is acceleration as a function of position?

Acceleration as a function of position is a mathematical relationship that describes how the acceleration of an object changes as its position changes. It is often represented by a graph or equation.

How is acceleration as a function of position different from acceleration?

Acceleration is a measure of how an object's velocity changes over time, while acceleration as a function of position takes into account how the object's position affects its acceleration. In other words, it considers the object's changing position as a factor in its acceleration.

What are some real-life examples of acceleration as a function of position?

One example is a roller coaster, where the acceleration of the cars is affected by the changing positions of the tracks and hills. Another example is a rocket launch, where the acceleration of the rocket is influenced by its changing altitude and position in space.

How is acceleration as a function of position calculated?

Acceleration as a function of position can be calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity function with respect to time, or by using the fundamental equation of motion, a = dv/dt = d²x/dt², where a is acceleration, v is velocity, and x is position.

Why is understanding acceleration as a function of position important?

Understanding this concept is crucial in many fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It allows us to predict the behavior of objects in motion and design systems that rely on precise acceleration calculations. It also helps us understand the relationship between position, velocity, and acceleration in the physical world.