Acceleration detection accounting for rotation

In summary: I was trying to use the gyroscope, but I don't know the math and physics behind it. I am unable to implement it.
Syn
Hello everyone!

I am trying to write an app that needs to be able to tell if a vehicle is accelerating or breaking. In this sense I used the accelerometer in the phone. At the moment I managed to isolate and subtract the gravitational pull of the Earth from my readings and I am using a noise variable to ignore minor changes (smaller than 10^-2).

In order to compute the acceleration relative to the ground I am using the following formula sqrt(Lx^2+Ly^2+Lz^2), where Lx represents the linear acceleration along the x-Axis in m/s^2.

My problem is: How do I differentiate between braking and accelerating, as my final acceleration value will always be greater than 0 and the phone can change it's rotation in between measurements (i.e. X and Y axes changing places or anything inbetween). Also I need this to work even if the vehicle accelerates -> maintains speed -> brakes/accelerates some more.

I am guessing this can be solved by using the gyroscope in the phone, which reads the rotation along the 3 axes in rad/s. However I do not know the math and physics behind it and therefor find myself unable to implement it. Is my reasoning wrong? Have I made some false assumptions? Would another way be better?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have access to rotation data, you can track the orientation of the phone in space just based on that (relative to some starting orientation). If you also know the initial velocity, you can keep track of the velocity (as 3D vector).
This method will be very imprecise if you want to use it longer than a few seconds, as you have no way to correct the noise so errors build up over time. To get accurate speed estimates, you probably want to use the GPS data as well, ideally combined with position detection based on nearby cell phone towers.

I will be using these readings as a plausibility test for the gps data in order to account for possible inaccuracies, as well as in tunnels and other scenarios where the gps is unavailable. Also I will be using the gps data in order to eliminate the errors that build up over time. Could you please explain the math and physics behind tracking the orientation relative to the starting orientation? How should I account for the orientation changes, given the rotation along the 3 axes in rad/s? Ideally I would like to be able to compare 2 sets of values, with different orientations and be able to tell if the acceleration is positive or negative (braking) along the 3 axes.
I know that braking is just acceleration in the opposite direction, but don't know how to tell the direction once the orientation has changed.

There are many ways to store orientation. I guess the most convenient one would be to store the orientation of one phone axis (let's call it z') in the surrounding space (with x,y,z), together with the rotation angle in the x'/y' plane. Those are easy to adjust based on rotation sensors, and it is not too hard to relate the x', y', z' accelerations to accelerations in x,y,z.

1. What is acceleration detection accounting for rotation?

Acceleration detection accounting for rotation is a method used to measure the acceleration of an object while taking into account its rotational motion. This technique is often used in the field of robotics and aerospace engineering to accurately track the movement of objects.

2. How does acceleration detection accounting for rotation work?

This method works by using an accelerometer, which measures the linear acceleration of an object, and a gyroscope, which measures the rotational motion of the object. By combining the data from both sensors, the acceleration of the object can be calculated taking into account its rotation.

3. What are the benefits of using acceleration detection accounting for rotation?

One of the main benefits of using this method is that it provides a more accurate measurement of an object's acceleration. Traditional methods that only use an accelerometer may not account for the object's rotation, leading to inaccurate results.

4. Are there any limitations to acceleration detection accounting for rotation?

One limitation of this method is that it requires both an accelerometer and a gyroscope, which can increase the cost and complexity of the system. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement may be affected by external factors such as vibrations and magnetic fields.

5. In what applications is acceleration detection accounting for rotation commonly used?

This technique is commonly used in applications where precise tracking of an object's motion is necessary, such as in robotics, aerospace engineering, and virtual reality. It is also used in sports technology to track athletes' movements and in automotive engineering for vehicle stability control systems.