According to Maxwell, a gamma ray can be as energetic as a radio wave (given equal E amplitudes)?

In summary, according to the old theory of light, the energy carried by a wave is proportional to the amplitude of the electric field, not the frequency as proposed by Planck. This means that waves in the gamma spectrum and radio waves can have the same energy if their amplitude is the same. However, they differ in frequency and wavelength, which does not affect the energy. In classical EM, the energy of a wave is proportional to the square of the amplitude and also depends on the number of photons in the beam. The number of photons is proportional to the intensity, not the amplitude. Therefore, two waves with the same amplitude can have different numbers of photons. In QED, the relationship between the electric field and the number of
physics user1
According to the old thery of light the energy carried by by a wave is proportional to the amplitude of the electric field not to the frequency as Planck proposed, so an eletromagnetic radiation in the gamma spectrum carry the same energy as a radio one if their amplitude is the same?
They only different in frequency and wave length that doesn't affect the energy

(According to the old theory, i know that energy is proportional to the frequency)

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy per photon depends on the wavelength. But classical EM only models situations where there are lots and lots of photon, so you have another variable in the energy carried by a wave - the number of photons in the beam. An energetic radio pulse has more photons than an equally energetic gamma pulse, basically.

Incidentally, energy is related to intensity rather than amplitude, I think.

Likes physics user1
The energy "carried by the wave" does not have a well defined meaning. It depends on how long the wave does this carrying and what is the wave's extension in space. The waves are compared usually in terms of intensity, which is energy carried in 1s through a cross section of 1m2 (in SI units).
In both classic and QED models you can have waves with different frequencies and same intensity. The fact that the energy per photon at low frequency is lower does not mean you cannot have high intensity. It just takes more photons.

Likes physics user1
Ibix said:
The energy per photon depends on the wavelength. But classical EM only models situations where there are lots and lots of photon, so you have another variable in the energy carried by a wave - the number of photons in the beam. An energetic radio pulse has more photons than an equally energetic gamma pulse, basically.

Incidentally, energy is related to intensity rather than amplitude, I think.
But the number of photons is related to the amplitude of the wave? Since the square of amplitude in related to the intensity, right?

So then a gamma "wave" and a radio wave having same energy have different amplitude

Last edited by a moderator:
The number of photons is proportional to intensity.

Cozma Alex said:
But the number of photons is related to the amplitude of the wave? Since the square of amplitude in related to the intensity, right?
The energy in a classical EM wave is proportional to the square of the amplitude. It's also proportional to the photon count (assuming it's monochromatic). So, as nasu says, the number of photons is proportional to the intensity, not the amplitude.
Cozma Alex said:
So then a gamma "wave" and a radio wave having same energy have different amplitude
No. Energy is proportional to amplitude squared. So two pulses with the same intensity have the same amplitude. They may, however, contain different numbers of photons if they have different frequencies.

nasu said:
The energy "carried by the wave" does not have a well defined meaning. It depends on how long the wave does this carrying and what is the wave's extension in space. The waves are compared usually in terms of intensity, which is energy carried in 1s through a cross section of 1m2 (in SI units).
In both classic and QED models you can have waves with different frequencies and same intensity. The fact that the energy per photon at low frequency is lower does not mean you cannot have high intensity. It just takes more photons.
For radio engineering purposes, I think Intensity may conveniently be expressed as Power Flux Density in W/sq metre.

I found this: https://www.quora.com/If-you-have-t...d-that-mean-would-the-photon-have-more-energy

Can you please explain me how two waves with same amplitude can have different number of photons?
You guys said the number of photons is propotional to the intensity, and intesity is proportional to the energy, but the energy is related to the ^2 of the amplitude, then logically the number of the photons is related to the amplitude^2 , where is this chain wrong?

Who said is wrong? Amplitude squared is proportional to intensity which is proportional to number of photons.Note that "proportional" does not mean equal.

Likes physics user1
nasu said:
Who said is wrong? Amplitude squared is proportional to intensity which is proportional to number of photons.Note that "proportional" does not mean equal.

Ok, thanks :)

However, getting back in time when they didn't know that light is quantised, we take a gamma ray, and a radio wave , both waves gamma and radio have same amplitude, are the energy of the two waves equal?
Supposing they carry for the same amount of time, and in the same extension of space

Do you think that the energy of the waves depends on the history of our knowledge?
And again, energy of a wave is not something well defined. What do you mean by it?

nasu said:
Do you think that the energy of the waves depends on the history of our knowledge?
And again, energy of a wave is not something well defined. What do you mean by it?
I mean density of energy, 1/2 ε E^2

If E is the same for both waves, what do you think, would they have the same energy density or not?

nasu said:
If E is the same for both waves, what do you think, would they have the same energy density or not?
Yes i guess, but if E is the same for both then they have also same number of photons...

You forget again that proportional is not equal. The number of photons may be proportional to E^2 but it may depend on frequency too. So your conclusion does not follow.
Actually the relation between E and photons seems to be a little tricky in QED. A wave with a well defined value of E may not have a defined number of photons but rather be a superposition of states with different number of photons. Imagining photons as well defined "particles" is not very realistic.

Likes BvU
I didn't know that the nuber of photons can depend also on frequency, i thought that only energy depends on frequency, however i got it, now i understand, if E is defined then the number of photons is not

If you are interested in seeing the "ugly" details of quantization of the EM field, here is an example
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/nuclear...-fall-2012/lecture-notes/MIT22_51F12_Ch10.pdf
Right on top of page 100 they show that the expectation value of the electric field for a state with definite photon number is zero.

You may know of a somewhat similar case in quantum mechanics. For a state with definite value of momentum, the position is undefined.

Likes physics user1
nasu said:
Right on top of page 100 they show that the expectation value of the electric field for a state with definite photon number is zero.
That makes sense to me :), if the position of the photons is defined then the wave nature vanish

I believe that the photons don't even "have" a position operator. So talking about the position does not make sense for photons.
The relationship between position and momentum was just an example of a similar concept, but for particles like electrons or protons.

1. What is a gamma ray?

A gamma ray is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a high frequency and high energy. It is often emitted during nuclear reactions or by other high-energy processes.

2. How does a gamma ray compare to a radio wave?

According to Maxwell's theory of electromagnetism, a gamma ray and a radio wave can have the same energy amplitude, but the gamma ray's frequency and energy are much higher.

3. Can a gamma ray be as energetic as a radio wave?

Yes, according to Maxwell's theory, a gamma ray can have the same energy amplitude as a radio wave, but its frequency and energy will still be higher.

4. What determines the energy of a gamma ray?

The energy of a gamma ray is determined by its frequency, which is a measure of how many oscillations or cycles it has in a given time period. The higher the frequency, the higher the energy.

5. How are gamma rays used in science?

Gamma rays are used in a variety of scientific fields, including nuclear medicine, astrophysics, and materials science. They are used for imaging, sterilization, and detection of radioactive materials, among other applications.