What Are the Products of Acetylene Combustion in Air?

• Thread starter Jacob87411
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combustion
In summary, the conversation discusses the burning of acetylene with air and determining the air-fuel ratio, with the products potentially including carbon dioxide, water, nitrogen oxides, nitrous oxide, and cyanide, depending on the ratio. The equation is not fully balanced, and nitrogen should not be treated as a spectator.
Jacob87411
Acetylene (C2H2) is burned with a stoichiometric amount of air during a combustion procss. Assuming complete combustion, determine the air-fiel ratio on a mass and mole basis.

I'm not asking for help on the actual question I just don't know what the basic chemical equation is?

C2H2 + (O2+3.76N2) -> what?

Does it yield CO2, H20 and N2? Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Jacob87411 said:
Acetylene (C2H2) is burned with a stoichiometric amount of air during a combustion procss. Assuming complete combustion, determine the air-fiel ratio on a mass and mole basis.

I'm not asking for help on the actual question I just don't know what the basic chemical equation is?

C2H2 + (O2+3.76N2) -> what?

Does it yield CO2, H20 and N2? Thanks for any help

You must start with these facts: Your reactants are acetylene and oxygen. Your products are carbon dioxide and water. Nitrogen is probably not going to be involved, but I'm not absolutely certain about this. Try balancing the equation from the point of view of the reactants and products just stated.

Well my question wasn't with balancing it, I just wanted to confirm what the product were, not how much of each. So CO2, H20 and N2 are the products?

Treat N2 as a spectator - don't put it into the equation.

Borek

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this a bit of a dead thread, however:
Nitrogen most certainly is not a spectator. The products depend completely on the F:A ratio. Many NO(x)'s, N2O, and CN- are some of the products running a "stoichiometric" flame. All produce molecular bands in FES spectra.

Related to What Are the Products of Acetylene Combustion in Air?

1. What is the chemical equation for acetylene combustion?

The chemical equation for acetylene combustion is C2H2 + 5/2 O2 → 2 CO2 + H2O.

2. What is the balanced equation for acetylene combustion?

The balanced equation for acetylene combustion is 2 C2H2 + 5 O2 → 4 CO2 + 2 H2O.

3. What is the energy released during acetylene combustion?

The energy released during acetylene combustion is 1300 kJ/mol.

4. What are the products of acetylene combustion?

The products of acetylene combustion are carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O).

5. What are the conditions necessary for acetylene combustion to occur?

Acetylene combustion requires the presence of oxygen (O2) and a source of ignition, such as heat or a flame.