Acid-Base Reaction: Calculating PH of NaF Solution

In summary, a chemist determined that the reaction had formed an aqueous solution of 0.020 mol/l sodium fluoride. They needed to calculate the equilibrium concentration of F- and found that it is a lot smaller than 0.020M.
hallowon

Homework Statement

after titrating sodium hydroxide with hydrofluoric acid, a chemist determined that the reaction had formed an aqueous solution of 0.020 mol/l sodium fluoride. determine ph of the solution

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ka of HF= 6.3X10^-4
NaOH + HF (equlibrium arrows) NaF +H20
I ? ? 0 0
C -X -X +X +X
E ?-X ?-X 0.020 0.020

ka = product/reactants i got stuckhere because there no initial value, and i don't know why I am trying to find initial when i need to find ph

Physics news on Phys.org
You look for pH of 0.020M F- solution, everything else doesn't matter. This is a weak base.

--

wait i don't get it ? -log 0.020M is 1.69 that is wrong b/c Strong base reacts with weak acid so ph should be aboe 7 b/c it will be a basic solution

hallowon said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Ka of HF= 6.3X10^-4
NaOH + HF (equlibrium arrows) NaF +H20
I ? ? 0 0
C -X -X +X +X
E ?-X ?-X 0.020 0.020

ka = product/reactants i got stuckhere because there no initial value, and i don't know why I am trying to find initial when i need to find ph

You don't need to know I, the initial, since we are given that the Equilibrium of NaF (C-X) is 0.020

The dissociation equation, as you said is:

NaF + H20 <==> NaOH + HF
(B + H2O <==> HB + OH-)

or:

F- + H2O <=> HF + OH-

I C ...N/A....
C C -X ... +X ... +X
E 0.020 ... +X ... +X

Since we have B + H2O <==> HB + OH-, the equation to use is then Kb=[HB][OH-]/[B-] so we need to get Kb from Ka so...

Kb = Kw/Ka = [10^-14]/[6.3x10^-4] = 1.58 x10^-11​
We now know:
Kb=1.58 x10^-11
[F-]=0.02
[OH-]=[HF]=X

All you have to do is plug these values into Kb=[HF][OH-]/[F-] and solve for X
Remember... X=[OH-], so you need to get the pH from the pOH Relevant equations:
B + H2O <==> HB + OH-
Kb = Kw/Ka
Kb=[HB][OH-]/[B-]
pOH= -log(OH-)
pOH + pH=14

Last edited:
thanks so much! you just made my day.

x12179x said:
You don't need to know I, the initial, since we are given that the Equilibrium of HF (C-X) is 0.20

No, we are given that initial F- is 0.020M, and equilibrium concentration of HF is not 0.020M but has to be calculated. And in fact it is a lot smaller than 0.020M.

hallowon said:
thanks so much! you just made my day.

You will be badly surprsised if you assume x12179x approach.

--

Borek said:
No, we are given that initial F- is 0.020M, and equilibrium concentration of HF is not 0.020M but has to be calculated. And in fact it is a lot smaller than 0.020M.

Hmm, I mistyped HF instead of NaF above (and also .2 instead of .02); Now corrected

But I thought 0.02 was the equilibrium value of NaF since it said:

"after titrating...the reaction had formed an aqueous solution of 0.020 mol/l sodium fluoride." ?

thats kinda what i assumed to

x12179x said:
But I thought 0.02 was the equilibrium value of NaF since it said:

"after titrating...the reaction had formed an aqueous solution of 0.020 mol/l sodium fluoride." ?

Just because you have 0.020M solution of NaF doesn't mean 0.020M is an equilibrium concentration of F-. Quite the opposite - F- is a weak Broensted base, reacting with water, so its concentration after hydrolysis is smaller.

--

1. What is an acid-base reaction?

An acid-base reaction is a type of chemical reaction in which an acid and a base react to form a salt and water. Acids are substances that donate hydrogen ions, while bases are substances that accept hydrogen ions.

2. How is pH calculated for a NaF solution?

The pH of a NaF (sodium fluoride) solution can be calculated by using the equation pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. The concentration of hydrogen ions can be determined by using the dissociation constant of the acid and base components of the solution.

3. What is the dissociation constant of NaF?

The dissociation constant of NaF is approximately 1.8 x 10^-11. This value represents the equilibrium constant for the dissociation of NaF into its component ions, Na+ and F-. It is used in the calculation of pH for a NaF solution.

4. How does the concentration of NaF affect the pH of the solution?

The concentration of NaF affects the pH of the solution by influencing the concentration of hydrogen ions. As the concentration of NaF increases, the concentration of hydrogen ions decreases, resulting in a higher pH. This is because NaF is a basic salt, meaning it will react with water to produce hydroxide ions (OH-), which can neutralize hydrogen ions.

5. What is the significance of calculating the pH of a NaF solution?

Calculating the pH of a NaF solution is important in understanding the properties and behavior of the solution. It can help in determining the strength of the acid and base components, as well as the overall acidity or basicity of the solution. This information is useful in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science.