Acoustic Observatory - Low-Cost

• Thread starter Front Office
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acoustic
In summary, the Acoustic Observatory is a low-cost device that uses well-known principles to detect thunder from great distances. It can be built for around $50, not including a small mirror. The creator's goal is to detect thunder from storms approaching from the west and to also detect long-wave sounds called "microbaroms." They hope to use the device to detect microbaroms from hurricanes on the east coast this fall. The device may also be able to detect small seismic signals from nearby traffic.
Front Office
Acoustic Observatory -- Low-Cost

Check out my Acoustic Observatory

It uses well-known and obvious principles of operation to "see" thunder at great distances. It cost about $50 to build, including the red laser diode -- but not including the front surface mirror which has been lying around my "lab" since the late nineties. (It's a small unmounted mirror, 1" x 1"; I wouldn't have paid more than ~$20 for it.)

My goal with this simple device was to "see" thunder from storms approaching from west of Washington, D.C. "See" the thunder, that is, before I could hear it, maybe hours before I could hear it.

Also I wanted to "see" certain long-wave sounds called "microbaroms" that, according to the Wikipedia, are created by storms at sea. I hope, if hurricanes come up the east coast this fall, to see plausible signals of microbaroms, which supposedly travel thousands of miles.

I'm posting this because the laser-and-mirror method of this Acoustic Observatory seems like a low-cost way to detect certain small signals. Seismic signals, for instance, very small ones as come from traffic a quarter-mile distant might be detectable. You can see a schematic diagram of a possible Seismic Observatory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
thats a pretty nice instrument , wonderful thing , but are there any other sources of microbaroms other than hurricanes ?

What is an acoustic observatory and how does it work?

An acoustic observatory is a device used to monitor and record sound waves in a specific environment. It typically consists of a microphone or array of microphones, a data logger, and software for analyzing and storing the recorded sound data. The microphone(s) pick up sound waves, which are then converted to electrical signals and recorded by the data logger. The software allows for the visualization and analysis of the recorded sound data.

What is the purpose of using a low-cost acoustic observatory?

The purpose of a low-cost acoustic observatory is to provide a more affordable option for monitoring and studying sound in an environment. Traditional acoustic observatories can be expensive and require specialized equipment and expertise, making it difficult for researchers or organizations with limited resources to access and use them. A low-cost acoustic observatory allows for more widespread use and accessibility, making it possible for a wider range of individuals and groups to conduct sound studies.

What are the potential applications of a low-cost acoustic observatory?

A low-cost acoustic observatory can be used in a variety of applications, including environmental monitoring, wildlife research, and noise pollution studies. It can also be used for educational purposes, such as teaching students about sound and its effects on the environment. Additionally, a low-cost acoustic observatory can be used for community-based research projects, allowing for the participation of local citizens in sound studies.

What are the key components of a low-cost acoustic observatory?

The key components of a low-cost acoustic observatory include a microphone or microphone array, a data logger, and software for recording and analyzing sound data. Other components may include a power source, such as a battery or solar panel, and a weatherproof casing to protect the equipment from environmental elements. Some low-cost observatories may also include additional sensors, such as temperature or humidity sensors, to provide more comprehensive data.

How accurate and reliable is a low-cost acoustic observatory compared to traditional observatories?

The accuracy and reliability of a low-cost acoustic observatory may vary depending on the specific components and setup. However, with proper calibration and maintenance, a low-cost observatory can provide comparable results to traditional, more expensive observatories. It is important to note that a low-cost observatory may have some limitations, such as a lower sampling rate or narrower frequency range, but it can still provide valuable data for many applications.