Acoustics and Fluid Flow - COMSOL 4.2

In summary, the person is looking for ways to show that sound waves can alter the flow of liquids. They are specifically interested in river, stream, and groundwater level flow. They are also interested in showing this in COMSOL.
Ss Ss
Hello everyone,

First of all I am new here~

Second, I would like to "prove" on COMSOL that soundwaves (sound vibration) can alter/reshape the fluid flow

Can someone tell me the physics i should use as well as all the other parameters to make it work?

if someone is more experience can they tell me all the steps from scratch?

The idea came from one youtube video that shows that when water interacts with sound of 24Hz it can be reshaped
(iif you don't know the video and because i am not sure if i can post it here you can type those keywords and check it).

in anyway like i said I want to prove (or investigate better say) on COMSOL 4.2 that sound can actually reshape the flow of liquids ( and specifically water)

any help is appreciated

thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you talking about a video like this one:

In that case, this is simply a stroboscopic effect, since the acoustic wave is at the same frequency as the sampling rate of the camera.

I'm not sure there is an easy way to couple acoustic waves with fluid flow in COMSOL, especially if you are considering flow without walls (as in the video above).

Dear DrClaude,

I appreciate your response,

I have watched your video but i am actually referring to this:

my goal is to prove that sound (of same frequency) could alter the flow direction

and i was thinking if i can model and simulate it in COMSOL

if i use walls will it be easier?

in nature for example if i use sound waves can i "manipulate" the flow direction (even for a short period of time) of rivers, streams or torrents or even groundwater level?

can i show this in COMSOL and if yes how?

if i can't with soundwaves of same frequency which other force you recommend me?

thank you in advance

1. What is acoustics and fluid flow?

Acoustics and fluid flow is a branch of physics that deals with the study of sound and its interaction with fluids, such as air or water. It involves understanding the behavior of sound waves and how they affect the movement of fluids.

2. How can COMSOL 4.2 be used for studying acoustics and fluid flow?

COMSOL 4.2 is a software platform that allows for the simulation and analysis of various physical phenomena, including acoustics and fluid flow. It provides a user-friendly interface and powerful tools for creating and solving complex models related to these fields.

3. What types of problems can be solved using COMSOL 4.2 for acoustics and fluid flow?

COMSOL 4.2 can be used to solve a wide range of problems related to acoustics and fluid flow, such as sound propagation in different mediums, flow around objects, and acoustic-structure interactions. It can also be used to design and optimize devices that involve both acoustics and fluid flow, such as speakers and pumps.

4. What are the benefits of using COMSOL 4.2 for acoustics and fluid flow?

Using COMSOL 4.2 for studying acoustics and fluid flow offers several benefits. It allows for accurate and detailed simulations of complex systems, which can be difficult to achieve through experimental methods. It also allows for the exploration of different design options and optimization of parameters, leading to improved performance and efficiency.

5. Can COMSOL 4.2 be used for real-world applications in acoustics and fluid flow?

Yes, COMSOL 4.2 has been used in various real-world applications in acoustics and fluid flow, such as designing mufflers to reduce noise pollution, optimizing the aerodynamics of vehicles, and developing medical devices for testing and treating hearing loss. Its versatility and accuracy make it a valuable tool in many industries and research fields.