Add, sub, multiply, and dividing w/ fractional exponents & radicals

In summary, the speaker is struggling with some basic math skills related to multiplying and adding fractional exponents. They are seeking help and clarification on a specific problem involving differentiation. They are also looking for resources to improve their understanding of these concepts.
Dr_Kesha_PHD
Okay so I'm in Calculus 1 and we are working on derivatives. I understand it all but I have been having some trouble with some basic math skills that I cannot remember from high school and I can't seem to find a good tutorial anywhere online.

I am having problems with multiplying fractional exponents and also adding them. I know that when you have multiply or divide exponents it is always like x^6*x^2=x^6+2=x^8.

But it is throwing me off when the exponents have a fraction or radical because I don't remember these basic skills from high school.

Let me give you an example of a problem that I am struggling with...

Differentiate:
H(u)=(u-sqrt(u))(u+sqrt(u))

I know that this means to find the derivative of this equation. So I use the product rule which is the derivative of the 1st term multiplied by the second term, plus the derivative of the second term multiplied by the first time.
This gives me:

(u-sqrt(u))(1+1/2u^-1/2)+(u+sqrt(u))(1-1/2u^-1/2)

How do I perform -sqrt(u) multiplied by 1/2u^-1/2 ?

Can someone show me where I am going wrong because I am coming up with -1/2.

Please help explain or link me to a video to me how to add, multiply, subtract and diving when I have radicals/fractional exponents like this.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Dr_Kesha_PHD said:

That is correct:

[tex]-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{u} u^{-1/2} = -\frac{1}{2} u^{1/2} u^{-1/2} = -\frac{1}{2} u^{1/2 - 1/2} = -\frac{1}{2}u^0 = -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

micromass said:
That is correct:

[tex]-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{u} u^{-1/2} = -\frac{1}{2} u^{1/2} u^{-1/2} = -\frac{1}{2} u^{1/2 - 1/2} = -\frac{1}{2}u^0 = -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Well then I'm not totally sure where I am going wrong because I keep coming up with the wrong answer to the problem. But thank you very much for showing me that that wasn't where I am making my mistake.

Dr_Kesha_PHD said:
Okay so I'm in Calculus 1 and we are working on derivatives. I understand it all but I have been having some trouble with some basic math skills that I cannot remember from high school and I can't seem to find a good tutorial anywhere online.

I am having problems with multiplying fractional exponents and also adding them. I know that when you have multiply or divide exponents it is always like x^6*x^2=x^6+2=x^8.

But it is throwing me off when the exponents have a fraction or radical because I don't remember these basic skills from high school.

Let me give you an example of a problem that I am struggling with...

Differentiate:
H(u)=(u-sqrt(u))(u+sqrt(u))
Rather than use the "product rule", I would just go ahead and multiply:
[itex]H(u)= u^2- u[/itex]

So H'(u)= 2u- 1

I know that this means to find the derivative of this equation. So I use the product rule which is the derivative of the 1st term multiplied by the second term, plus the derivative of the second term multiplied by the first time.
This gives me:

(u-sqrt(u))(1+1/2u^-1/2)+(u+sqrt(u))(1-1/2u^-1/2)

Please help explain or link me to a video to me how to add, multiply, subtract and diving when I have radicals/fractional exponents like this.[/QUOTE]

I can understand your confusion. Working with fractional exponents and radicals can be challenging, especially if you haven't practiced them in a while. But don't worry, with some practice and understanding of the rules, you'll be able to solve these problems easily.

First, let's review the basic rules of exponents. When multiplying exponents with the same base, we add the exponents. For example, x^2 * x^3 = x^(2+3) = x^5. When dividing exponents with the same base, we subtract the exponents. For example, x^5 / x^2 = x^(5-2) = x^3.

Now, let's apply these rules to fractional exponents. When multiplying fractional exponents with the same base, we add the numerators and denominators separately. For example, x^(3/5) * x^(2/5) = x^(3+2)/5 = x^5/5 = x^1. Similarly, when dividing fractional exponents with the same base, we subtract the numerators and denominators separately. For example, x^(3/5) / x^(2/5) = x^(3-2)/5 = x^1/5.

In your example, the term -sqrt(u) can be written as -(u^(1/2)). So when multiplying it by 1/2u^(-1/2), we use the rule for multiplying fractional exponents and get -(u^(1/2+(-1/2))) = -(u^0) = -1.

I hope this explanation helps you understand how to perform operations with fractional exponents and radicals. For further practice, I recommend checking out online tutorials or practice problems. Khan Academy and MathIsFun are great resources for learning math concepts. Best of luck with your calculus studies!

What is a fractional exponent?

A fractional exponent is a way of representing a power or root that is not a whole number. It is written as a fraction where the numerator is the power and the denominator is the root. For example, 31/2 is the same as the square root of 3.

How do I add or subtract numbers with fractional exponents?

To add or subtract numbers with fractional exponents, the bases (numbers being raised to the power) must be the same. Then, you can simply add or subtract the exponents as you normally would. For example, 23/4 + 21/4 = 24/4 = 2.

How do I multiply numbers with fractional exponents?

To multiply numbers with fractional exponents, you can use the product rule, which states that when multiplying two numbers with the same base, you can simply add the exponents. For example, (23/4)(21/4) = 23/4 + 1/4 = 24/4 = 2.

How do I divide numbers with fractional exponents?

To divide numbers with fractional exponents, you can use the quotient rule, which states that when dividing two numbers with the same base, you can simply subtract the exponents. For example, (23/4)/(21/4) = 23/4 - 1/4 = 22/4 = √2.

What are radicals and how are they related to fractional exponents?

Radicals are another way of representing powers and roots. They are written with a radical symbol (√) and a number inside. The index of the radical tells you which root to take, and the number inside is the radicand. For example, √4 is the same as 41/2. Therefore, radicals and fractional exponents are related because they both represent powers and roots that are not whole numbers.