Adding Zooming Capability to my Far Infrared Spectrum Sensor

In summary: That is, of course, true, and I missed the part where you needed far IR. My applications are all MWIR with a need for simultaneous visible transmission.I do know where you can get NaCl for cheap, but not in a single, optically-clear crystal. :wink:Yep, I'll just have to get creative. Thanks for the heads up!
rubenhak
Physics noob here. I have the cheapest FLIR sensor (80x60 px sensor). It captures Longwave infrared, 8 μm to 14 μm. It has a tiny lens (probably 1mm in diameter). Trying to add a zoom ability to this sensor.

I have different DSLR lens and other optical scopes. I tried holding the tiny FLIR camera behind the zoom lens hoping to see the heat of object behind the zoom lens, but it just shows the heat of lens itself. Tried different positions, etc, but didn't work.

What am i doing wrong? Are the consumer lenses absorbing infrared wavelengths?

Some specs here: https://lepton.flir.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/lepton-2pt5-datasheet-04195.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
rubenhak said:

Probably. Optical glass designed for use with visible wavelengths is usually a very poor transmitter of far IR.

Likes rubenhak
rubenhak said:
... FLIR ...
What's wrong with simply 'IR'? Is it fixed to a plane, looking only forward?

rubenhak said:
Summary:: Can a consumer lens zoom a far infrared light?

Physics noob here. I have the cheapest FLIR sensor (80x60 px sensor). It captures Longwave infrared, 8 μm to 14 μm. It has a tiny lens (probably 1mm in diameter). Trying to add a zoom ability to this sensor.

I have different DSLR lens and other optical scopes. I tried holding the tiny FLIR camera behind the zoom lens hoping to see the heat of object behind the zoom lens, but it just shows the heat of lens itself. Tried different positions, etc, but didn't work.

Some specs here: https://lepton.flir.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/lepton-2pt5-datasheet-04195.pdf

Nice camera! Very cool.

IR lenses are typically made of germanium, not glass. I don't think there's a DIY low-cost way to kludge together a zoom (varifocal) lens. Zoom with your feet!

Likes rubenhak
Thanks for help guys!

A.T.> I need a zoom ability. As Andy noted, will just use my feet then!

A.T. said:
What's wrong with simply 'IR'? Is it fixed to a plane, looking only forward?
Originally, but now it's a company/ brand name.

Likes boneh3ad
Maybe something based on a parabolic reflector? Easier to reflect IR than transmit it.

Likes sophiecentaur
Germanium lens sounds expensive...

I was hoping to make use of existing components, building a lens from scratch sounds way too complex.

Andy Resnick said:
Nice camera! Very cool.

IR lenses are typically made of germanium, not glass. I don't think there's a DIY low-cost way to kludge together a zoom (varifocal) lens. Zoom with your feet!

Sapphire is my go-to glass for transmitting IR. Bonus: it also transmits visible and UV and is extremely scratch resistant. The price, though...

Likes Andy Resnick
DaveE said:
Maybe something based on a parabolic reflector? Easier to reflect IR than transmit it.
Absolutely. It's not difficult to fabricate a small reflector and to polish it. A spherical mirror would be easy to make by pressing a ball bearing into soft metal. (I imagine this is all very small scale optics.) You can mount a reflector off axis (same technique as satellite receiving dishes). The image on the sensor could be distorted but that's easy to compensate for. The accuracy of the surface is less critical for IR but you can measure the performance with visible light (unlike a dispersive lens). If you want a longer focal length than the camera's lens then focussing could be more critical.
Zoom capability is a relatively new phenomenon and not a necessity. Cinema and TV got on very well by using a few fixed focus lenses on a turret for each camera.

This would only be necessary if "zooming with feet" won't work.

rubenhak said:
There seem to be overlap with Germanium, but doesn't seem enough for far infrared imaging.
https://www.edmundoptics.com/knowle...e-correct-material-for-infrared-applications/

That is, of course, true, and I missed the part where you needed far IR. My applications are all MWIR with a need for simultaneous visible transmission.

I do know where you can get NaCl for cheap, but not in a single, optically-clear crystal. :wink:

1. How does adding zooming capability to my far infrared spectrum sensor improve its performance?

Adding zooming capability to a far infrared spectrum sensor allows for a more detailed analysis of the spectrum, as it allows for the user to focus on specific areas of interest. This can help to identify smaller peaks or changes in the spectrum that may not have been visible without zooming in.

2. Can I add zooming capability to my existing far infrared spectrum sensor?

It depends on the specific model and manufacturer of your far infrared spectrum sensor. Some sensors may have the capability to add zooming through a software update, while others may require additional hardware components. It is best to consult with the manufacturer or a technical expert to determine the feasibility of adding zooming capability to your specific sensor.

3. What is the zoom range of a far infrared spectrum sensor with zooming capability?

The zoom range can vary depending on the specific sensor, but typically it can range from 2x to 10x magnification. Some sensors may have a wider zoom range, while others may have a more limited range. It is important to consider the desired zoom range when selecting a far infrared spectrum sensor with zooming capability.

4. Will adding zooming capability affect the accuracy of my far infrared spectrum sensor?

In most cases, adding zooming capability should not significantly affect the accuracy of the spectrum sensor. However, it is important to properly calibrate the sensor and ensure that the zoom function is properly aligned to avoid any potential inaccuracies.

5. Are there any limitations to using zooming on a far infrared spectrum sensor?

One limitation of using zooming on a far infrared spectrum sensor is that it may increase the measurement time, as the sensor needs to scan a smaller area at a higher resolution. Additionally, zooming may not be useful for all types of samples or analyses, as it depends on the specific characteristics of the sample and the desired level of detail. It is important to consider these factors when deciding whether to add zooming capability to a far infrared spectrum sensor.

Back