Addition/Multiplication for Dedekind cuts?

• Thread starter DrWillVKN
  • Start date
In summary, the properties of dedekind cuts are closed, commutative, and associative. The inverse is hard to imagine, and addition and multiplication are based on positive and negative cuts.
DrWillVKN
I don't really understand the properties for adding/multiplying dedekind cuts. I get that they're closed, commutative and associative because that follows from the rational numbers (and the cut just partitions a rational number into 2 classes of rationals, plus the "cut" that only contains one number), but the other properties are confusing.

First, I'm not really clear on how to add/multiply cuts- which happens due to them containing only rationals. I thought you take the limit of cuts (which converge to a precise limit) and this limit is the precise number that you are able to add/multiply, but it is not an actual pinpointed number and just a limit, yet limits behave just like numbers. But then I have trouble tying all of this together.

EDIT: Okay I think I'm mixing up two ways of constructing the real numbers.

For the identity property for addition, 0* can be chosen as all the negative rational. Say p is a point in a dedekind cut A, and q is another point such that p < q. Then p = q + [-(q-p)], where -(q-p) is a point in 0*. Thus A [itex]\subset[/itex] A + 0*, and A + 0* [itex]\subset[/itex] A due to the property of dedekind cuts to be closed downward. This makes A + 0* = A, or am i misunderstanding a concept?

The inverse is really hard for me to imagine. A + B = 0*, so B is supposed to be a cut that gives a cut of all the negative rationals?

Multiplication seems to be similar to addition, but the cases are divided into positive and negative. 1* should be part of the identity property.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DrWillVKN said:
I don't really understand the properties for adding/multiplying dedekind cuts. I get that they're closed, commutative and associative because that follows from the rational numbers (and the cut just partitions a rational number into 2 classes of rationals, plus the "cut" that only contains one number), but the other properties are confusing.

First, I'm not really clear on how to add/multiply cuts- which happens due to them containing only rationals. I thought you take the limit of cuts (which converge to a precise limit) and this limit is the precise number that you are able to add/multiply, but it is not an actual pinpointed number and just a limit, yet limits behave just like numbers. But then I have trouble tying all of this together.

Cuts have nothing to do with limits (at least not immediately). What a cut represents is all the numbers smaller than a given number. Thus the number 2 is represented by the cut

[tex]\{x\in \mathbb{Q}~\vert~x<2\}[/tex]

So the supremum of a cut is the number it represents. However, the supremum doesn't always exist, because we're working in the rationals here. For example, the cut

[tex]\{x\in \mathbb{Q}~\vert~x^2<2\}[/tex]

doesn't have a supremum. Indeed, that supremum would be [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] but this isn't rational!

For the identity property for addition, 0* can be chosen as all the negative rational. Say p is a point in a dedekind cut A, and q is another point such that p < q. Then p = q + [-(q-p)], where -(q-p) is a point in 0*. Thus A [itex]\subset[/itex] A + 0*, and A + 0* [itex]\subset[/itex] A due to the property of dedekind cuts to be closed downward. This makes A + 0* = A, or am i misunderstanding a concept?

This is ok.

The inverse is really hard for me to imagine. A + B = 0*, so B is supposed to be a cut that gives a cut of all the negative rationals?

Do some easy examples first. You know the inverse of 2 in -2. The cut of 2 is

[tex]A=\{x\in \mathbb{Q}~\vert~x<2\}[/tex]

You must transform this into the cut of -2, that is

[tex]B=\{x\in \mathbb{Q}~\vert~x<-2\}[/tex]

The thing to look at is -B, that is

[tex]-B=\{-x\in \mathbb{Q}~\vert~x<-2\}[/tex]

Then you obtain all numbers larger than 2. So given a cut A, a good choice for the inverse would be

[tex]\{-x\in \mathbb{Q}~\vert~x\notin A\}[/tex]

However, this cut might have a largest element (which is not allowed), so we need to remove that!

To multiply two cuts, start with "positive" cuts. A cut is positive if and only if it contains at least one rational number. If a and b are positive cuts, then ab is the set of all rational numbers, xy, where [itex]x\in a[/itex], [itex]y\in b[/itex]. Show that this is a cut. Show that if a is any cut, then a1= a. Remember that "1" is the set of all rational numbers less than 1.

Then define: if a< 0, b> 0, ab= -(-a)(b), if a> 0, b< 0, ab= -(a)(-b), and if a< 0, b< 0, ab= (-a)(-b).

DrWillVKN said:
For the identity property for addition, 0* can be chosen as all the negative rational. Say p is a point in a dedekind cut A, and q is another point such that p < q. Then p = q + [-(q-p)], where -(q-p) is a point in 0*. Thus A [itex]\subset[/itex] A + 0*, and A + 0* [itex]\subset[/itex] A due to the property of dedekind cuts to be closed downward. This makes A + 0* = A, or am i misunderstanding a concept?.

Sorry to jump into this but actually I'm going through the same proof and I don't get this.

-(q-p) in 0* I understand as some negative rational in the set of all negative rationals but the jump from there to saying A [itex]\subset[/itex] A + 0* I just can't follow and the more I think about it the worse it gets.

I imagine A + 0* as all rationals in A [itex]\geq[/itex] 0 and A [itex]\subset[/itex] A + 0* just baffles me :(

mycroft said:
I imagine A + 0* as all rationals in A [itex]\geq[/itex] 0 and A [itex]\subset[/itex] A + 0* just baffles me :(
Then you are being too imaginative! "All rationals in A[itex]\geq[/itex] 0" is not a cut.
(Do you see why?)

0* is the set of all rational number less than 0- in other words the negative rationals. A+ 0* consists of all sums of rationals in A and rationals in 0*. But since all rationals in 0* are negative, we always get numbers less than the one in A.

That is, if [itex]a\in A[/itex], [itex]o\in O*[/itex], then a- o< a. Since one of the properties of a cut is "if [itex]a\in A[/itex] and b< a, then [itex]b\in A[/itex], it follows that every member of A+ O* is in A. That is, A+ O* is a subset of A.

Of course, it is also one of the properties of a cut that there is no largest member. If [itex]a\in A[/itex], there exist [itex]b\in A[/itex] with b> a. Then c= (a- b)< 0 so c is in O*. It follows that b+ c= b+ (a- b)= a is in A+ O*. That is, A is a subset of A+ O*: A= A+ O*.

HallsofIvy said:
Then you are being too imaginative! "All rationals in A[itex]\geq[/itex] 0" is not a cut.
(Do you see why?)
Yes, it's not closed downward.

HallsofIvy said:
0* is the set of all rational number less than 0- in other words the negative rationals. A+ 0* consists of all sums of rationals in A and rationals in 0*. But since all rationals in 0* are negative, we always get numbers less than the one in A.

I think my mistake was imagining adding [itex] x \in A [/itex] and [itex] y \in B [/itex] as [itex] x_n + y_n [/itex] thus causing O* to cancel the elements of A < 0. Am I right in assuming now that it is the set of each element [itex] x \in A [/itex] added to all [itex] y \in B [/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
That is, if [itex]a\in A[/itex], [itex]o\in O*[/itex], then a- o< a. Since one of the properties of a cut is "if [itex]a\in A[/itex] and b< a, then [itex]b\in A[/itex], it follows that every member of A+ O* is in A. That is, A+ O* is a subset of A.

Of course, it is also one of the properties of a cut that there is no largest member. If [itex]a\in A[/itex], there exist [itex]b\in A[/itex] with b> a. Then c= (a- b)< 0 so c is in O*. It follows that b+ c= b+ (a- b)= a is in A+ O*. That is, A is a subset of A+ O*: A= A+ O*.

Is it because Q is dense (and we are working with a cut) that [itex] A + O^* \subseteq A [/itex] and [itex] A \subseteq A + O^*[/itex] ? I.e., you are not losing the larger elements of A by subtracting a set of negative numbers.

Many books (Rudin) use [itex] \subset [/itex] so I'm not sure my interpretation is correct at all.

Thanks a lot for your help. Once I get myself muddled it's very hard to get unmuddled!

Related to Addition/Multiplication for Dedekind cuts?

1. What are Dedekind cuts in mathematics?

Dedekind cuts are a method for constructing the real numbers from the rational numbers. They were first introduced by German mathematician Richard Dedekind in the late 19th century.

2. How do addition and multiplication work for Dedekind cuts?

Addition and multiplication for Dedekind cuts follow the same rules as for real numbers. For two Dedekind cuts A and B, their sum A + B is defined as the set of all numbers that can be written as a + b, where a belongs to A and b belongs to B. Similarly, the product A * B is defined as the set of all numbers that can be written as a * b, where a belongs to A and b belongs to B.

3. What is the significance of using Dedekind cuts for addition and multiplication?

Dedekind cuts allow for a rigorous and consistent definition of real numbers, which is essential in many areas of mathematics such as analysis and topology. They also help in proving important theorems, such as the completeness of the real numbers.

4. Can Dedekind cuts be used for other arithmetic operations?

Yes, Dedekind cuts can also be extended to other arithmetic operations such as subtraction and division. However, these operations may require additional conditions to be defined properly.

5. Are there any limitations to using Dedekind cuts for addition and multiplication?

Dedekind cuts are a powerful tool in mathematics, but they do have some limitations. For example, they cannot be used to define irrational numbers such as pi or the square root of 2, as these numbers cannot be expressed as Dedekind cuts of rational numbers.