Adjoint operators and diffeomorphism

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of an adjoint operator for linear operators and the question of whether a similar definition can be given for diffeomorphisms. It is shown that when the diffeomorphism is linear, the adjoint is simply the transpose of the corresponding matrix. The conversation then explores the possibility of extending this result to "curvilinear" deformations and how it relates to the inner product in ℝn. A link is provided for further information on the topic.
mnb96
Hello,

we known that for each linear operator [itex]\phi:\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] there exists an adjoint operator [itex]\overline{\phi}[/itex] such that: [tex]<\phi(\mathbf{x}),\mathbf{y}>=<\mathbf{x},\overline{\phi}(\mathbf{y})>[/tex] for all x,y in ℝn, and where [itex]<\cdot,\cdot>[/itex] is the inner product.

My question is: can we give an analogous definition of adjoint operator when [itex]\phi:\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is a diffeomorphism of ℝn?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a pity that nobody answered to this question. Perhaps I did not formulate my question properly ... anyways, I will show a partial solution to the problem, and finally I will ask you if the result can be generalized.

Let's assume the diffeomorphism [itex]\phi[/itex] is linear. Then we can write [itex]\phi(\mathbf{x})=A\mathbf{x}[/itex], where A is a n×n matrix. We have the well-known result that: [tex]\left\langle x,\; Ay \right\rangle = \left\langle A^T x, \; y \right\rangle[/tex] Obviously in this case the adjoint of [itex]\phi[/itex] is simply given by the transpose of the corresponding matrix A.
Note however that we can write: [tex]\left\langle A^T x, \; y \right\rangle = \left\langle (A^T A)A^{-1} x, \; y \right\rangle = \left\langle G A^{-1} x, \; y \right\rangle[/tex]

I don't know if this is a useful step, but notice that [itex]G=A^T A[/itex] is the metric tensor. The question now reduces to:

Does this result sill hold for "curvilinear" deformations, where [itex]\phi[/itex] is a transformation of curvilinear coordinates, and G is the metric tensor expressed in terms of the Jacobian matrix?

Last edited:
Yes ##g = J^{T}J## where ##J## is the jacobian associated with ##\phi##.

Hi WannabeNewton,

thanks for your reply, and good to hear that the result holds for admissible change of coordinates.
Do you have any hint on what strategy I could use in order to prove this result?

I suppose that the result can be deduced from the knowledge of how the inner product in ℝn changes under a diffeomorphism given by a change of coordinates [itex]\phi:U\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex], e.g. [itex]<\phi(u), \; \phi(v)> \; = \; ?[/itex]

1. What is an adjoint operator?

An adjoint operator is a mathematical concept that is used to describe the relationship between two vector spaces. It represents the dual relationship between a linear operator and its corresponding dual space, and it allows for the transformation of vectors from one space to the other.

2. How is an adjoint operator related to a diffeomorphism?

An adjoint operator can be used to define a diffeomorphism between two differentiable manifolds. This means that the adjoint operator maps points on one manifold to points on the other manifold in a smooth and invertible manner.

3. What is the importance of adjoint operators and diffeomorphisms in mathematics?

Adjoint operators and diffeomorphisms are important tools in mathematical analysis, particularly in the fields of functional analysis and differential geometry. They allow for the study and manipulation of vector spaces and manifolds, which are essential concepts in many areas of mathematics.

4. What are some real-world applications of adjoint operators and diffeomorphisms?

Adjoint operators and diffeomorphisms have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, they are used in quantum mechanics to describe the relationship between observables and their corresponding states. In fluid mechanics, they are used to study the flow of fluids in different geometries.

5. How can one calculate the adjoint operator of a given linear operator?

The calculation of the adjoint operator depends on the specific linear operator in question. In general, the adjoint operator can be found by taking the transpose of the operator's matrix representation with respect to an orthonormal basis. This can be done using various techniques, such as the Gram-Schmidt process or the singular value decomposition method.