In summary, the Lie derivative is a vector field that is invariant under left multiplication by a vector field, and the left invariant vector field is a vector field that is invariant under left multiplication by itself.
Arcturus7
I'm having a bit of an issue wrapping my head around the adjoint representation in group theory. I thought I understood the principle but I've got a practice problem which I can't even really begin to attempt. The question is this:

Given the Lie algebra $\mathfrak{su}(N)$, with the Lie bracket given by the commutator, in the adjoint representation defined by $ad(X)(Y)=[X,Y]$, what is the induced representation on the Lie group $SU(N)$ using the exponential map?

My understanding of this question is that, given a representation $d(\mathfrak{g})$ of a Lie algebra, we say that $D(G)$ is induced by $d(\mathfrak{g})$ if $D(G)=e^{d(\mathfrak{g})}$, and so if we start with the Lie algebra in the adjoint representation, then there should be some resulting (induced) representation which emerges as a result of the exponential map when we go from the algebra to the group.

However, I have a couple of questions about the actual mechanics of this problem. First of all, I had understood the expression $Ad(X)$ to be something along the lines of "the image of $X$ under the adjoint representation" - that is to say, in the adjoint rep, the Lie algebra element $X$ is given by the matrix $Ad(X)$. $Ad(X)$ is just a linear operator which acts on the vector space $\mathfrak{g}$ and the matrix elements of $Ad(X)$ are just given by the structure constants $f^{abc}$. However with this in mind, I don't really appreciate the significance of the object $Ad(X)(Y)$, beyond the superficial. Clearly it's a linear transformation of a vector $Y\in \mathfrak{g}$, given by the commutator $[X,Y]$, but so what? I think the correct interpretation of $Ad(X)(Y)=[X,Y]$ is that it defines how elements of $\mathfrak{g}$ transform in the adjoint representation.

Secondly, I know that that commutator is equal to a linear combination of the remaining generators via $[T_a,T_b]=f^{abc}T_c$, but how does that help me here? A hint to the question says to consider an element $U=e^{\epsilon X_a}$ where $X_a \in \mathfrak{su}(N)$ and to subsequently consider $Ad(U)(X_b)$ for some generic $X_b$ in the Lie algebra. My initial inclination was to write something of the form $V=e^{f^{abc}X_c}$ where $V\in SU(N)$, but I don't think this is correct.

I'm a bit lost, I think because I'm looking at this in the wrong way because I haven't quite understood something. Does anybody have any pointers?

*EDIT* SORRY FOR ALL THE TERRIBLE FORMATTING ATTEMPTS.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arcturus7 said:
I'm having a bit of an issue wrapping my head around the adjoint representation in group theory. I thought I understood the principle but I've got a practice problem which I can't even really begin to attempt. The question is this:
My understanding of this question is that, given a representation $d(\mathfrak{g})$ of a Lie algebra, we say that $D(G)$ is induced by $d(\mathfrak{g})$ if $D(G)=e^{d(\mathfrak{g})}$, and so if we start with the Lie algebra in the adjoint representation, then there should be some resulting (induced) representation which emerges as a result of the exponential map when we go from the algebra to the group.

However, I have a couple of questions about the actual mechanics of this problem. First of all, I had understood the expression $Ad(X)$ to be something along the lines of "the image of $X$ under the adjoint representation" - that is to say, in the adjoint rep, the Lie algebra element $X$ is given by the matrix $Ad(X)$. $Ad(X)$ is just a linear operator which acts on the vector space $\mathfrak{g}$ and the matrix elements of $Ad(X)$ are just given by the structure constants $f^{abc}$. However with this in mind, I don't really appreciate the significance of the object $Ad(X)(Y)$, beyond the superficial. Clearly it's a linear transformation of a vector $Y\in \mathfrak{g}$, given by the commutator $[X,Y]$, but so what? I think the correct interpretation of $Ad(X)(Y)=[X,Y]$ is that it defines how elements of $\mathfrak{g}$ transform in the adjoint representation.

Secondly, I know that that commutator is equal to a linear combination of the remaining generators via $[T_a,T_b]=f^{abc}T_c$, but how does that help me here? A hint to the question says to consider an element $U=e^{\epsilon X_a}$ where $X_a \in \mathfrak{su}(N)$ and to subsequently consider $Ad(U)(X_b)$ for some generic $X_b$ in the Lie algebra. My initial inclination was to write something of the form $V=e^{f^{abc}X_c}$ where $V\in SU(N)$, but I don't think this is correct.

I'm a bit lost, I think because I'm looking at this in the wrong way because I haven't quite understood something. Does anybody have any pointers?

*EDIT* SORRY FOR ALL THE TERRIBLE FORMATTING ATTEMPTS.
To be honest, I found it difficult to grasp a point here where an answer could start. I have written some insight articles which might answer your questions, or at least sort out the language.

Representations and language:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/representations-precision-important/

The example(s) ##SU(2)## and ##\mathfrak{su}(2)##:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/journey-manifold-su2-part-ii/

Lie derivative and left invariant vector fields on the example of ##GL(n)##:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/pantheon-derivatives-part-iv/

fresh_42 said:
To be honest, I found it difficult to grasp a point here where an answer could start. I have written some insight articles which might answer your questions, or at least sort out the language.

Representations and language:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/representations-precision-important/

The example(s) ##SU(2)## and ##\mathfrak{su}(2)##:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/journey-manifold-su2-part-ii/

Lie derivative and left invariant vector fields on the example of ##GL(n)##:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/pantheon-derivatives-part-iv/

Hi - yes sorry, reading that post back it's very much word salad. Firstly, thank you for the links - I'll be sure to give them a read.

Let me be more concrete with my question. I followed the hint as suggested in the question, and in so doing ended up with:

$$U\approx 1+\epsilon X$$

And so:

$$Ad(U)(Y)=Ad(X)(Y)=[X,Y]$$

But from here I'm not really sure what to do, because I'm not sure how to interpret $Ad(X)(Y)$ in a way that helps me with the question. Does that make sense?

Firstly, it is convenient to distinguish group and algebra elements. So let's say we have ##u\in SU(2)## and ##X,Y\in \mathfrak{su}(2)##.

The adjoint representation of the Lie group is then given as ##Ad(u) = (X \longmapsto uXu^{-1})## that is ##Ad\, : \,SU(2) \longrightarrow GL(\mathfrak{su}(2))## defined by conjugation on the vector space ##\mathfrak{su}(2)##.

The adjoint representation of the Lie algebra is simply its left multiplication, given as ##ad(X) = (Y \longmapsto [X,Y])## that is ##ad\, : \,\mathfrak{su(2)} \longrightarrow \mathfrak{gl}(\mathfrak{su}(2))## defined by commutation on itself.

Both are related by ##Ad(e^X)=e^{\mathfrak{ad}(X)}##. Exponentiation gets you from the Lie algebra to the Lie group, one in the case of ##\mathfrak{su}(2)## to ##SU(2)## and the other one in the case of ##\mathfrak{gl}(V)## to ##GL(V)## where the vector space of the representation is again ##V=\mathfrak{su}(2)##. It is a sort of integration since we recover group elements by their tangents, that is we solve a differential equation and that's where the exponential function comes into play; same as it does in ordinary differential equation systems if we make an ansatz of a solution. The details are bit more complicated, but the principle is that.

This isn't very practical, as most matrices are hard to exponentiate, and a short view on the sizes of the matrices here doesn't help. So what we can do is, define a path through the identity matrix of ##SU(2)## within ##SU(2)##, say ##\varepsilon \longmapsto \gamma(\varepsilon)## and differentiate it along a direction ##X## since we know that the elements of the Lie algebra are the tangents there - more specifically, the left invariant vector fields evaluated at ##I=1##. This gives us a first approximation ##1+\varepsilon \cdot X##.
I think the example in the last link I gave is a bit better explained (sec. B).

Last edited:
Likes Wledig

1. What is the adjoint representation in physics?

The adjoint representation in physics is a mathematical concept used to describe how a group of symmetries acts on a particular physical system. It is also known as the adjoint action and is commonly used in the study of quantum mechanics and field theory.

2. How is the adjoint representation related to Lie groups?

The adjoint representation is closely related to Lie groups, which are mathematical groups that describe continuous symmetries. The adjoint representation is a way of representing the elements of a Lie group as linear transformations acting on a vector space.

3. What is the difference between the adjoint representation and the fundamental representation?

The fundamental representation is a fundamental way of representing the elements of a Lie group, while the adjoint representation is a more general and abstract way of representing the group elements. The fundamental representation is used to describe the action of a group on a specific physical system, while the adjoint representation is used for more general mathematical purposes.

4. How is adjoint representation confusion addressed in physics research?

Adjoint representation confusion is a common issue in physics research where the adjoint representation is often confused with other similar representations. To address this, it is important for researchers to have a clear understanding of the mathematical concepts involved and to carefully define and differentiate between different representations in their work.

5. What are some real-world applications of the adjoint representation?

The adjoint representation has many real-world applications in physics, particularly in the fields of quantum mechanics and field theory. It is used to describe symmetries and transformations in physical systems, and is also used in calculations and equations involving Lie groups and their representations.