Adjudicator should take more or less time than referees?

• Physics
  • Thread starter PeteSampras
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: In all fairness, I think the journal would be more than justified in sending it to an adjudicator if it had taken longer than 6 months.
PeteSampras
my paper was in "awaiting referee report" during 1 month.
After this, the asociate editor says "We have now received both primary referee reports. However, as they do not agree we have to send your manuscript and the referee reports to an adjudicator. "
The page of the journal says : "If the referees’ reports are not in agreement, the paper and the reports are sent to an independent adjudicator (often a member of the journal’s Editorial Board) who is first asked to form their own opinion of the paper and then to read the referees’ reports and adjudicate between them. A decision is then made based on the adjudicator’s recommendation. If a referee is overruled by an adjudicator, we will normally notify the referee of this. "

My question is : the Adjudicator should to take more o less time than referees ??

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any reason why it would be expected to take any less time. There's more to do.

And it's also important to remember that as a journal editor, you can *ask* someone to perform this task. But the referees or adjudicators are ultimately volunteers. They have their own research, deadlines, responsibilities, and as an editor you really have no idea what else they have on their plate at any given time. So you wait. Or, if they take too long, you find someone else.

One month is not an unreasonable amount of time to hear back from both referees. If you hear back from the adjudicator within another month, that's a two month turn around, which is pretty fast considering everything that has to happen.

Be patient. Work on something else in the meantime.

Hopefully you'll hear something positive soon. But if it's not positive, at least you'll have something else coming down the pipe.

Likes Orodruin
As you were told not one week ago,

Dr.D said:
Anything less than 6 months sounds normal in my experience.

Related to Adjudicator should take more or less time than referees?

1. How does the role of an adjudicator differ from that of a referee?

An adjudicator is responsible for making final decisions in disputes or conflicts, while a referee is responsible for enforcing the rules and regulations of a game or competition.

2. What factors should an adjudicator consider when deciding how much time to take?

An adjudicator should consider the complexity of the case, the amount of evidence presented, and the impact of their decision on all parties involved.

3. Is there a recommended amount of time an adjudicator should take?

There is no set time limit for an adjudicator to make a decision. The time taken should be sufficient to thoroughly review and consider all information and evidence.

4. Can an adjudicator take more or less time than the referees in a game or competition?

Yes, an adjudicator's role is different from that of a referee and their decision-making process may require more time to ensure a fair and just outcome.

5. How can an adjudicator ensure their decision is made in a timely manner?

An adjudicator should establish a reasonable timeline for making a decision and communicate this to all parties involved. They should also prioritize and efficiently manage their time to review and consider all relevant information.