Advice on Math / Engineering or Physics / Engineering?

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore in college pursuing dual degrees in Physics and Engineering, but they are considering switching to a dual degree program in Math and Engineering. They explain the structure of each program and their current situation, where they have found success in math but struggled in physics. They ask for advice on which path to choose. They also mention the possibility of struggling in math and the financial cost of switching programs.
ArchieAnonymous
Hello! I am a sophomore in college currently pursuing degrees in Physics and Engineering, part of a dual degree program my college offers. However, I am having trouble deciding between sticking with my current major and changing to a pursuing of Math and Engineering degrees. Allow me to explain what these look like:

Physics / Engineering
My college offers this through a dual degree program, which would allow me a B.S. in both Physics and Engineering over the course of 5 years. I would spend 3 years total at my current school for Physics and two years at the partner school for Engineering.

Math / Engineering
My school does not, however, have a dual degree program for Math and Engineering. If I were to change to this program, I would be getting a Math B.S. at my current school and a Masters in Engineering at some other school, all of this taking place over 6 years.

My Situation
While I have not gotten very far along in physics classes, Principles of Physics I & II were both difficult for me, which sort of intimidates me when I think about the later, likely more difficult physics courses. I was able to pull off an A in Principles I and a B in Principles II, however, so maybe I should not give up so soon. On the other hand, I have been more successful overall in my Math classes as well as enjoyed them more. The only reason I believe I enjoyed them more, however, is because most of them weren't PowerPoint classes like both physics classes were. I do much better in classes where the teacher writes notes on and works problems out on the board, which seems less common in Physics. Am I mistaken in thinking all my future math classes will be like this?

For fear I am making this post too long, I am going to wrap up now. Overall, I'd be very appreciative if you guys could share your thoughts on this dilemma. I need all the advice I can get :oldlaugh:! Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Time worn and true: do what you love. If you don't love it then it's not what you should do.

Likes ArchieAnonymous
I could be wrong, but I would think it would be tough to go from math to engineering, unless you were also picking up some engineering/physics stuff along the way. I have two years of graduate math (almost masters) and can't imagine any engineering school letting me into their program without at least taking a year of undergraduate engineering courses or something.

-Dave K

Likes ArchieAnonymous
I would say work harder and get the physics degree rather than wasting an extra year of your life because you got 1 B in 1 course. It sounds like the teaching sucked for your physics classes but the math classes could get worse and the physics courses could get better.

Most likely the teaching will just get worse in both!

Likes ArchieAnonymous
ArchieAnonymous said:
Hello! I am a sophomore in college currently pursuing degrees in Physics and Engineering, part of a dual degree program my college offers. However, I am having trouble deciding between sticking with my current major and changing to a pursuing of Math and Engineering degrees. Allow me to explain what these look like:

Physics / Engineering
My college offers this through a dual degree program, which would allow me a B.S. in both Physics and Engineering over the course of 5 years. I would spend 3 years total at my current school for Physics and two years at the partner school for Engineering.

Math / Engineering
My school does not, however, have a dual degree program for Math and Engineering. If I were to change to this program, I would be getting a Math B.S. at my current school and a Masters in Engineering at some other school, all of this taking place over 6 years.

My Situation
While I have not gotten very far along in physics classes, Principles of Physics I & II were both difficult for me, which sort of intimidates me when I think about the later, likely more difficult physics courses. I was able to pull off an A in Principles I and a B in Principles II, however, so maybe I should not give up so soon. On the other hand, I have been more successful overall in my Math classes as well as enjoyed them more. The only reason I believe I enjoyed them more, however, is because most of them weren't PowerPoint classes like both physics classes were. I do much better in classes where the teacher writes notes on and works problems out on the board, which seems less common in Physics. Am I mistaken in thinking all my future math classes will be like this?

For fear I am making this post too long, I am going to wrap up now. Overall, I'd be very appreciative if you guys could share your thoughts on this dilemma. I need all the advice I can get :oldlaugh:! Thank you very much!
I don't how it works in your college but at least in Spain having a B is nothing bad, there are pretty much only two grades: failed or not failed and about 90% of people fail some subject sooner or later. If you can do physics (and your grades prove you can), I'd suggest: do it.
Maths can get pretty dull if you compare them to engineering, you'd need to pay for another year in college (which isn't cheap) and I know that I would like physics better.

Likes ArchieAnonymous

Related to Advice on Math / Engineering or Physics / Engineering?

1. What is the best way to prepare for a math/engineering or physics/engineering exam?

The best way to prepare for an exam in these subjects is to start studying early and consistently. Review your notes and textbook, do practice problems, and seek help from your professor or tutor if needed. It is also important to get a good night's sleep before the exam and to stay calm and focused during the test.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math/engineering or physics/engineering?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and perseverance. Start by breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. Make sure to understand and apply any relevant formulas and concepts. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from a professor or tutor.

3. What are some effective study techniques for math/engineering or physics/engineering?

Some effective study techniques for these subjects include creating study guides, using flashcards to review key concepts and formulas, and practicing with past exams or homework problems. It is also important to actively engage with the material by asking questions and seeking clarification when needed.

4. How can I stay motivated in challenging math/engineering or physics/engineering courses?

Staying motivated in challenging courses can be difficult, but it is important to remind yourself of your goals and the reasons why you are studying these subjects. Set small, achievable goals for yourself and celebrate your progress. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group for support and motivation.

5. What resources are available for students struggling with math/engineering or physics/engineering?

There are many resources available for students struggling with these subjects. Your university or college may offer tutoring services, study groups, or workshops. You can also seek help from your professor during office hours or reach out to a peer or online tutor. Additionally, there are many online resources such as instructional videos, practice problems, and study guides that can aid in your understanding and mastery of the material.