Advice on type of physics degree to do

In summary: They can help you choose the best degree for your situation.<<Emphasis added>>In summary, the best degree to take for someone with the goals described in the original post is the degree in physics offered by The Open University.
mucker
hi all,
Fairly old student here looking to go back and follow my life long dream of geting into physics. My goal is to eventually move into the study of theoretical physics, cosmology, that type of the stuff. So the things I am really interested in are Theory of Relativity, string theory, quantum mechanics etc, and these are the fields I'd like to research and move into if I ever get that far ;-)

On that note, there are 3 degrees I am considering here, which of these would you say is the best to take based on my comments above? (scroll down on each page to where it says "Couse Details")https://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/qualifications/r51#course-details
https://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/qualifications/q64-phy
https://www.openuniversity.edu/courses/qualifications/q64-ast

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
mucker said:
On that note, there are 3 degrees I am considering here, which of these would you say is the best to take based on my comments above? (scroll down on each page to where it says "Couse Details")
I only looked through the first one so far. I may have missed it, but I don't see the other courses that you need for undergraduate physics studies -- where are the math courses, for example? It's pretty hard to study physics without learning a lot of math first/during...

berkeman said:
I only looked through the first one so far. I may have missed it, but I don't see the other courses that you need for undergraduate physics studies -- where are the math courses, for example? It's pretty hard to study physics without learning a lot of math first/during...
All three programs have the same embedded math courses:

Stage 1: Essential Math 1, Required; Essential Math 2, Elective

Stage 2: Math Methods, Required

Stage 3: Math Methods and Fluid Mechanics, Elective

Likes berkeman
OP: You've given no details of your educational background.

ETA: Have you contacted staff at The Open University for guidance? Presumably, they would be the most familiar with the differences among the programs, and be in the best position to guide you to the best choice.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
CrysPhys said:
All three programs have the same embedded math courses:
Oh shoot, you're right; I missed that. Thanks!

CrysPhys said:
OP: You've given no details of your educational background.
I only have a high school background. I was in the top class/set for maths and science but pretty poor at English. I got good grades in everything but didn't get the "pass" mark for english. In the UK you need pass marks on them all to go to the next tier. At the time I didn't care and went down a different path. I did not do any calculus, which I believe will be the biggest issue for me studying Physics. However, the "Essential Maths" which part of the course teaches this.

CrysPhys said:
ETA: Have you contacted staff at The Open University for guidance? Presumably, they would be the most familiar with the differences among the programs, and be in the best position to guide you to the best choice.
There is a section called "pre-reqs" which says something like "Am i ready for this course?" and throws some tests at you. I passed them all, so it would seem I should be ok with these degrees.

My question wasn't whether I could pass them anyway, but which would be best to do, to set me up going into the the areas of expertise I listed above.

thanks for all your help so far

mucker said:
My question wasn't whether I could pass them anyway, but which would be best to do, to set me up going into the the areas of expertise I listed above.
<<Emphasis added>> Yes, for this purpose, I would recommend you discuss your goals with the staff at The Open University.

Likes mucker

1. What are the different types of physics degrees available?

There are several types of physics degrees, including a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Physics, a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Physics, a Master of Science (MS) in Physics, and a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Physics. Some universities also offer specialized degrees such as Astrophysics, Biophysics, and Engineering Physics.

2. What is the difference between a BS and a BA in Physics?

A BS in Physics is a more mathematically rigorous degree, focusing on theoretical concepts and research. A BA in Physics, on the other hand, is a more general degree that allows for a broader range of electives and may have a stronger emphasis on practical applications. It is important to research the specific curriculum and requirements of each program to determine which is the best fit for your interests and goals.

3. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree in physics?

It depends on your career goals. While a bachelor's degree in physics can lead to various job opportunities in industries such as technology, research, and education, a graduate degree is usually required for higher-level positions and research opportunities. Additionally, a PhD in Physics is necessary for those interested in pursuing a career in academia.

4. What skills and qualities are needed for success in a physics degree program?

A strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills are essential for success in a physics degree program. Additionally, curiosity, perseverance, and a passion for learning are important qualities for a successful physicist. Strong communication and problem-solving skills are also beneficial for both academic and industry careers.

5. How can I decide which physics degree is right for me?

It is important to research and consider your interests, career goals, and strengths when choosing a physics degree. You may also want to speak with academic advisors, current students, and professionals in the field to gain insight and advice. It can also be helpful to explore the curriculum and research opportunities offered by different programs to determine which aligns best with your goals and aspirations.